Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Ideas about the Rear-View Camera for 2008-2010 CTSs

179K views 349 replies 89 participants last post by  FAL 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,
After following the thread at http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...ussion/218361-cadillac-cts-2011-nav-disc.html, it's quite evident that the latest NAV software update contains the provisions for the rear-view camera.

I have not performed this mod (and don't even know if it'll work), but I thought I'd pass on some information I looked up that might help someone else find a solution.

I'm 99% sure the Nav hardware unit (AKA the GM Silverbox... you can see here: http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2008/02/integrated-center-stack-ics.html) is identical for 2008-2011 CTSs. That leads me to believe that the inputs existed, but were never used.

I looked up the pin-outs in the Service guide for both the 2011 and 2008 CTS.

There is a 20-pin gray connector that attaches to the back of the nav unit. This connector has provides various audio and voice inputs to the nav system.

Pins 5 and 15 provide signals from the rear-view camera to the system (Circuit 6972 and 6973).

In the 2008, I checked Pins 5 and 15, and noticed something interesting. These pins are not listed as NOT USED (such as Pin 12), but rather as COAX, as well as wiring colour. This leads me to believe that these two circuits are undocumented, but exist (In the pin-out list, there are other COAX connections that lead to other components in the car, such as the USB input and Nav display).

The big question is: Is there wiring already place that terminates to these pins, or would new wiring need to be installed?

I also checked the pin-outs of the camera. The 2 camera circuits (6972 and 6973) directly terminate to the camera. This tells me that there are no other components to the camera and the camera is simply providing an analog video source to the to the nav system.

Something to note is that along with the ground/drain wires, there are 2 other circuits that would have to be tapped: The Backup Lamps Supply Voltage (most likely to indicate when to turn the camera on), and the Ignition Voltage (so the camera is only powered when the vehicle is on).

So this leads me to a couple questions to anyone wants to look into this:

Does the wiring harness in 2008-2010 vehicles already include the 2 wires for the rear-view camera?

Are the other circuits the camera requires, already available in the rear of the car?

Hopefully this may help someone eventually install a camera in their car.

See less See more
#341 ·
well, I put three cameras and a 7" monitor in play and used the dome light power wire in the overhead center console for my main power to the monitor. So easy to hook into. I also put the camera in the Shark Fin on the roof. I had to buy a new bigger hollow Shark Fin to put the camera and the Cadillac antenna into.
I have been too busy to write the install with pictures.

Attachments

#344 ·
Did you read through this thread? The first 2 pages detail how to connect an OEM camera to the existing wiring harness and update the software, if you're going for a factory style integration. If you're looking for something custom, Flash provided tons of detail and pics on how he did his setup.

#349 ·
I recently purchased a used 2008 SRX for my daughter. The car has little over 100K miles, is sturdy, but had some mechanical defects that I was able to rectify. I also wanted to modify certain things to make it more safer for her. Inspired by Csalmon excellent writeup, one of the things I decided to add is a backup camera.

I followed the writeup. I also located the Backup Splice (green wires) inside the rear left fuse box. A picture of the fuse box is attached. The red oval marks the backup splice. There are three wires that are in the right most pin-slots. I removed one female terminal to take pictures. This terminal (with green wire) is shown with a triangle outside of the fuse box.

I want to splice the Backup wire from the camera into this block in the fourth (from right) pin-slot to provide a factory like finish. I purchased a metripack series 280 female terminals for this purpose. Those terminals are are not the right one.

Can someone help me with identifying the manufacturer and the part number of the female terminals GM used for splicing? Where can I purchase them in small quantities? I have attached three closeup pictures of the terminal showing the front, back and the side. Using my tape measure, I measured the terminal top (blade entry) as 3mm square. The blade contact lip width is 2mm. The length (or the depth of blade insert) is 10mm. The terminal keys are 5mm from the top and are 2mm wide.

The green splice block, showed in a rectangle, when inserted completes the splice. This block has five splice blades indicating that GM left two slots as spare. I will be using one slot for my backup camera upgrade.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

#350 ·
An update on this post:

I paid a visit to a local GM Dealer, Bergey Chevrolet. The parts guys were very helpful. Using the VIN, they verified the splice and informed me that the female terminal is a Yazaki 7116-4020-11. These terminals are sold to the dealers as their workshop items for repairs. He was kind enough to sell me two. I crimped the terminal to the wire and inserted it in the block. It was a perfect fit. After I inserted the splice block, the circuit was complete.

Now, on to the next phase of the project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.