Oil Life Monitor Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Oil Life Monitor Question in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I just had the oil changed in our 09 CTS DI. I know that the monitor goes down from 100% ...
    JackB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD DI

Oil Life Monitor Question

I just had the oil changed in our 09 CTS DI. I know that the monitor goes down from 100% to a point where a change is needed very slowly but what surprised me was that in less than 50 miles it dropped from 100% to 99%. Is that normal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

David is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6; 1992 Cadillac Allanté

Re: Oil Life Monitor Question

The oil life monitor takes into consideration many factors: temperature, mileage, etc.; the fact that your monitor dropped in 50 miles is not abnormal, in my experience.

DMill is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 1SB - Crystal Red w/Light Titanium

... That's normal. You drive out of your driveway and it goes to 99%.

cafpaf is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Think of it in the same fashion as the way your value drops as you drive a new car off the lot. Just kidding. Yes it is normal. Mine does the same thing.

redvett94 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

GM OIL LIFE SYSTEM...HOW DOES IT REALLY WORK
    This is taken from the May 2003 GM Techlink publication
    How often should engine oil be changed? 3,000 miles, 5,000 miles, 7,500 miles, 10,000 miles? Actually, all of these are correct, depending on operating conditions. Oil life is affected by many factors other than just miles driven. The type of driving, temperature, and engine load all play a part.
    That’s why GM has developed the GM Oil Life System, an electronic watchdog that keeps track of all these variables and notifies the driver when it’s time to change oil. This system has become standard equipment on nearly all GM products since 2000.
    Briefly, the Oil Life System is programmed with a certain number of engine revolutions. As the engine runs, this number is reduced until it reaches zero, and the Oil Life light or message comes on. But there’s more. Operating the engine under low or high temperatures, and under high load conditions subtracts (penalizes) extra revolutions, so the light comes on sooner. Changing engine oil according to actual need rather than an inflexible schedule provides several benefits.
    First is simplified determination about when to change oil. No more decisions about normal conditions vs. severe conditions. Second is reduced operating costs for GM’s customers, who now have to change oil only when it’s needed. Third is minimizing the amount of used oil that must be disposed of. And fourth, engines will always be running with sufficiently fresh oil, for long life.
    Traditionally, the vehicle maintenance schedule has been based on miles or time, while the oil change interval is now based on the GM Oil Life System.
    When the change engine oil light or message comes on, it means that service is required on the vehicle. I should be serviced as soon as possible within the next 600 miles. It is possible that, under the best conditions, the engine oil life system may not indicate that vehicle service is necessary for over a year. However, engine oil and filter must be changed at least once per year, and at this time the system must be reset.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

footnote to redvett94's post above

GM Engine Oil Life System was recalibrated in 2004 following the introduction of motor oil meeting the tougher GF-4 standard. And now with recent intro of the GF-5 standard and GM dexos™ specification, the computer algorithm will soon again be recalculated to extend service intervals even further. http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2...fe-system.html

louiefl99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

I have a 2011 CTS Coupe with 2400 miles on it and my OLM shows 54% remaining - this works out to about 5,200 miles to 0%. With my '08 CTS 3.6l DI (basically same engine) I would get to about 20% after 10,000 miles (12,500 mile projection). It was at 100% when I picked up the car and my driving hads been very conservative during the break-in period. Most of the miles are highway. I'm wondering if the dexos calibration actually results in lower oil change intervals? Fortunately, there is no-charge maintenance on 2011 models.

Anyone else out there with a 2011 Coupe or Sedan care to post their mileage and % oil life?

C66 Racing is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V (sold)

My experience with four GM vehicles is that the OLM in perfect conditions counts down at a rate that would equate to about 10k miles. GM may change that number for different vehicles, but across several, that seems to be consistent. Perfect conditions are essentially normal oil temp, cruising on the highway in the highest drive gear. Anything other than that and the OLM will count down faster. I've read that the OLM uses either rpm or fuel injector pulses as a measure to count down, both of which would be more accurate than mileage as either would account for lower gearing, lower speeds, etc. But, the OLM also appears to heavily penalize startups and cold weather operation. In my 06 CTS-V, my OLM would count down to 0% at about a 4k mile rate - probably because the car was almost exclusively used in short 5 mile commutes where the oil never got fully warmed up. Same car on the highway in 6th would count down at about 1% per 100 miles, or a 10k mile rate. My last oil change in my 03 Trailblazer was right at 10k miles, but that car sees almost exclusively highway driving.

FYI, GM put out a press release several years ago that said the average oil change interval for those using the OLM was 8,500 miles or so.

So, for the OP, a drop of 1% in 50 miles is not that surprising.

lordbaby is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS DI FE3 PDQ Crystal Red/Ebony

my oil is down to <30% after a year and <9200miles, i went ahead and changed the mobile1 anyway. the service adviser said never let it goes below 20%

I have the oil tested on my vehicles and the CTS4 DI went to 9000 mi on its second change, Blackstone advised me to change at 7000 mi due to the condition of the oil. Its a known fact that the DI is harder on the oil than non di engines. Change at 7000 if the OLM goes over for best results.

PJL
    PJL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by lordbaby View Post
    my oil is down to <30% after a year and <9200miles, i went ahead and changed the mobile1 anyway. the service adviser said never let it goes below 20%
    I'm sure you know that the Owners Manual says to change at least one a year -- and OnStar will bark at you if you don't, and call for an oil change regardless of the percentage life showing in the DIC.

brothleutner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 4

Quote Originally Posted by redvett94 View Post
    I have the oil tested on my vehicles and the CTS4 DI went to 9000 mi on its second change, Blackstone advised me to change at 7000 mi due to the condition of the oil. Its a known fact that the DI is harder on the oil than non di engines. Change at 7000 if the OLM goes over for best results.
    If it is harder on oil, how? The DI part is not involved in the lubrication of the engine.

PFI has about 55-65 psi and DI is around 2800 psi so some fuel is going by the rings.

C66 Racing is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by redvett94 View Post
    PFI has about 55-65 psi and DI is around 2800 psi so some fuel is going by the rings.
    Fuel dilution of oil in modern diesels is a very common problem for similar reasons.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

don't you think that any degradation of the oil due to DI is figured into the OLM's algorithms.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.