Oil Life Monitor Question - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Oil Life Monitor Question in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by JimmyH this discussion is about the oil life monitor. let's it keep that it way please. Got ...
    MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Re: Oil Life Monitor Question

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    this discussion is about the oil life monitor. let's it keep that it way please.
    Got it

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

thanks

travellinmike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '90 Sedan Deville, '06 CTS-V

First let me say that I'm sorry to jump in on this thread. I searched and this is the most relative I could find to my question...

Due to a family emergency I needed to drive my V unexpectedly (850 highway miles round trip). My daily driver isn't trustworthy for a sudden long run.

Partway through yesterday's outbound leg of the trip the "Change Oil" message popped up. I pulled up the info menu and scrolled to OLM and sure enough it was at 0%.
    Note to self... maybe the outside temp isn't the most critical info to display as the default.

I reset trip odometer B and counting the remaining highway miles and some local driving last evening I've already driven 200+ miles at 0%. Today I'll have another 25 miles or so in town and then 400 miles of highway to get home.

I've read in other threads that 600 miles seems to be some sort of magic number. "get it changed within 600 miles of 0% on OLM". I'm sure I'll exceed the 600 mark before I get the car back into my garage.

Is that 600 miles just recommended or will the computer not let me continue driving it once 600 miles at 0% is reached?

Oil pressure seems OK. about 40 psi at idle. low to mid 50s at cruise. what is considered normal?

Here are the questions that will make the purists cringe. ( I cringe a bit myself but am in a pickle)

- Can I just add a qt or so to top off until the week-end then do the complete change?
    - Can I "fool the sensor" by pressing the reset on the DIC briefly to bump it back up to around 5% so I can get home.

and yes I know that neither of the above would be the correct procedure.

but...

I don't want to take it to a cheapy lube joint and don't want to spend $90 at dealer. not sure if they could get me in this morning anyway.
    I've got everything in my garage to do the change. I just unexpectedly needed to use car before I got around to doing it.

I'll need to hit the road around 2PM today and don't want to have the car decide to shut itself off partway home.

thanks.
    Mike

Z71
    Z71 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Is that 600 miles just recommended or will the computer not let me continue driving it once 600 miles at 0% is reached? YES, NO the OLM will not and cannot shut down the car.

Can I just add a qt or so to top off until the week-end then do the complete change? YES

Can I "fool the sensor" by pressing the reset on the DIC briefly to bump it back up to around 5% so I can get home. YES, You can just reset it back to 100% and the computer will think you changed the oil and start counting down from 100% again. When you change the oil, reset it back to 100%. The OLM is only a oil change alert run by a computer algorithm and does nothing more they alert the driver of a recommended oil change. It does not sample the oil and cannot tell if you changed oil, added a qt. etc or know what kind of oil you put in. Its just a glorified count down display, that's all.

travellinmike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '90 Sedan Deville, '06 CTS-V

thanks. I'll pick up a qt of synth before I head out and top off.

caddad08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2

Just don't overfill it if it is not down much.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

^overfill is worse than underfilled

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

If the oil level is right whay would you "top it off"?

Whay did you wait for oil change that long? Next time I would advise you to the the change whrn OLM reaches 20% - 30%......just be on safe side....the V is much more valuable than a few $$ for oil.....

aaw8491 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by redvett94 View Post
    GM OIL LIFE SYSTEM...HOW DOES IT REALLY WORK
    This is taken from the May 2003 GM Techlink publication
    How often should engine oil be changed? 3,000 miles, 5,000 miles, 7,500 miles, 10,000 miles? Actually, all of these are correct, depending on operating conditions. Oil life is affected by many factors other than just miles driven. The type of driving, temperature, and engine load all play a part.
    Thatís why GM has developed the GM Oil Life System, an electronic watchdog that keeps track of all these variables and notifies the driver when itís time to change oil. This system has become standard equipment on nearly all GM products since 2000.
    Briefly, the Oil Life System is programmed with a certain number of engine revolutions. As the engine runs, this number is reduced until it reaches zero, and the Oil Life light or message comes on. But thereís more. Operating the engine under low or high temperatures, and under high load conditions subtracts (penalizes) extra revolutions, so the light comes on sooner. Changing engine oil according to actual need rather than an inflexible schedule provides several benefits.
    First is simplified determination about when to change oil. No more decisions about normal conditions vs. severe conditions. Second is reduced operating costs for GMís customers, who now have to change oil only when itís needed. Third is minimizing the amount of used oil that must be disposed of. And fourth, engines will always be running with sufficiently fresh oil, for long life.
    Traditionally, the vehicle maintenance schedule has been based on miles or time, while the oil change interval is now based on the GM Oil Life System.
    When the change engine oil light or message comes on, it means that service is required on the vehicle. I should be serviced as soon as possible within the next 600 miles. It is possible that, under the best conditions, the engine oil life system may not indicate that vehicle service is necessary for over a year. However, engine oil and filter must be changed at least once per year, and at this time the system must be reset.
    The new "Premium Care" that comes with new 2010 and 2011 Cadillac will not pay to have the oil changed until the oil life monitor system is down to 20% life left, even if the owners manual says it must be changed every 12 months. Just be prepared to pay if you think GM is going to foot the bill. I think it's crazy that someone that drives their car a lot gets their oil changed all they need and someone that is a low mileage driver can't get their oil change covered by Cadillac. - BC

Z71
    Z71 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    I just had the oil changed in our 09 CTS DI. I know that the monitor goes down from 100% to a point where a change is needed very slowly but what surprised me was that in less than 50 miles it dropped from 100% to 99%. Is that normal?
    To comment on the OP's question as to why its not at 100% after driving for 50 miles.

Common sense tells you that if you have 100% of something and you use up part of it, you no longer have 100%. If you have a $1 and spend 1 cent you no longer have a $1, you have 99 cents.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

Hmm...OP and much of this thread predates the "premature timing chain wear" recall and Oil Life System reset.

Now that cooler weather is here for first time since the recall and reset, my '08 CTS 3.6L DI is ticking off 1% increments in as few as 30 miles of mostly city/suburb and short-trip driving. Overall average since recall reset, including hot summer weather and a few 130+ mile roundtrips to lake house, is about 1% per each 55 miles.

FWIW, here's a few GM Oil Life System charts and graphs:

http://www.mycertifiedservice.com/_res/pdf/OLS1.pdf

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.