2012 CTS getting a small boost in power
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2012 CTS getting a small boost in power in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; As you may have read at Cadillac Magazine , the SRX has lost its 2.8 liter turbo V6. However, it's ...
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

2012 CTS getting a small boost in power

As you may have read at Cadillac Magazine, the SRX has lost its 2.8 liter turbo V6. However, it's likely being replaced with the 3.6 liter found in the CTS. What's interesting is the code for this engine (LFX) is different than the one in the current CTS (LLT) which may be capable of 325-330 horsepower with it's Spark-Ignition Direct-Injection, Dual Overhead Cams, Variable Valve Timing, E85 capability and the right exhaust combination.

Any thoughts?
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Danko is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): CTS Wagon

Re: 2012 CTS getting a small boost in power

Yeah. The hair on my back rose when I read E85. Ethanol SUXX!!!!!! If you want h.p., it is available on the 2011s. Just get the V-8.

Not everybody wants a 550 horsepower high performance sedan. The CTS does need something inbetween - and hopefully we'll be getting just that with the 3.0 twin turbo engine GM has been working on.
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

brothleutner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 4

Is this not an "accounting" trick of sorts? I read somewhere on the camaro forums I think they were boosting the numbers because of the HP of the new Ford V6 in the mustang. The numbers we have for the 304 HP are for 87 octane, are they running 91 and maybe a small tune for that octane to get those numbers? E85, really, this proves the government still has there mitts in the company.

MoFex is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

330 HP form 3.6l engine is not that spectacular. Others do it with ease. However they do use premium gas.

What I would like to see in the CTS is a hybrid drivetrain similar to what Infiniti M35H will have. In that case I would be happy with the 3.0l engine as long as there is 70HP motor! Imagine the economy boost without sacrificing performance. The gas prices are on the rise. It will not be long when they hit $4/gallon and more. And this will mean good bye tracks and SUV's with big engines. GM needs to be prepared for that event. Volt won't do it.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

As someone who doesn't own shares of GM, I can't say I'm excited. As a car enthusiast I've watched Nissan kick everyone's behind on V6 power. This just feels like catchup.

Nissan certainly IS on the ball with their V6. It's amazing how much power they make in the 370z. And a 485 horsepower 3.8!

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    As someone who doesn't own shares of GM, I can't say I'm excited. As a car enthusiast I've watched Nissan kick everyone's behind on V6 power. This just feels like catchup.

DMill is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 1SB - Crystal Red w/Light Titanium

Another note on same topic ...

Just saw this note on the same topic, but relating to the 2012 Camaro. I agree that a bit more "ooomph" would be nice, but can it be done using regular gas?

MoFex is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Re: Another note on same topic ...

Quote Originally Posted by DMill View Post
    Just saw this note on the same topic, but relating to the 2012 Camaro. I agree that a bit more "ooomph" would be nice, but can it be done using regular gas?
    Yes, it can. Hybrid drive-train would do it. Keep the 3.0l DI engine and add 70HP electric motor. I know you will not gain much, if at all at high speeds but there would be an advantage during fast accelerations from stops. Remember electric motors have 100% torque available at zero speed! Set up like this would give you better fuel economy as well. I know for purists it is not a solution but we all have to realize we have limited resources and have to manage them right.

louiefl99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

My '08 CTS lease was up recently and kicked around the SRX but even my conservative driving wife told me the SRX had no power and wouldn't want one for that reason. I told my local dealer that if the 3.6DI was available in the SRX (without awd) I would seriously consider it. I ended up with a new CTS Coupe and the taller rear end gearing makes it feel quicker than my CTS Sedan. The difference in seat-of-the pants feel is pretty close to the difference between my 3.6L '05 CTS and my 3.6L DI '08 CTS and that was 40+ HP.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

I wish Caddy would offer the LS2/3 engine as a middle ground between the V6 CTS and the V model. That is a large HP gap that begs for a 425 hp/or so CTS SS model. Would buy one tomorrow if they offered it in the coupe!

DMill is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 1SB - Crystal Red w/Light Titanium

Thumbs up Re: 2012 CTS getting a small boost in power

Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
    I wish Caddy would offer the LS2/3 engine as a middle ground between the V6 CTS and the V model. That is a large HP gap that begs for a 425 hp/or so CTS SS model. Would buy one tomorrow if they offered it in the coupe!
    ... I completely agree!

ultimate_ed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by brothleutner View Post
    Is this not an "accounting" trick of sorts? I read somewhere on the camaro forums I think they were boosting the numbers because of the HP of the new Ford V6 in the mustang. The numbers we have for the 304 HP are for 87 octane, are they running 91 and maybe a small tune for that octane to get those numbers? E85, really, this proves the government still has there mitts in the company.
    No, the Camaro originally was listed with the same 304HP rating as the CTS. GM now rates it as something like 312HP. They claim that the Camaro's configuration always was producing 312HP, but they hadn't done the independent testing to verify it. They just used the known valve from the CTS. However, you can be sure the desire to investigate came from pressure from the Mustang.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.