Coupe Winter Tires - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Coupe Winter Tires in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; 2011 CTS COUPE AND CTS-V COUPE SPECIFICATIONS Wheels/Tires Wheel size and type: front: 19 x 9-inch; forged alloy, 5-lug rear: ...
    928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Re: Coupe Winter Tires

2011 CTS COUPE AND CTS-V COUPE SPECIFICATIONS

Wheels/Tires

Wheel size and type:
    front: 19 x 9-inch; forged alloy, 5-lug
    rear: 19 x 9.5-inch, forged alloy, 5-lug
    Tires:
    Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
    front: P255/40ZR19 96Y high-performance summer tire
    rear: P285/35ZR19 99Y high-performance summer tire

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/vehi...llac.tab1.html

zen
    zen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS CPE

Sorry, but that is not correct based on what is on my coupe. Those wheel and tire sizes perhaps are for a CTS-V. I have CTS CPE (not V) with the Performance package.

Also, the rotor sizes listed are not correct. The fronts are 13.6 not 15. I know because I just installed ceramic pads on the front.

Danko is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): CTS Wagon

I am getting winter tires for my 2010 Corvette and bought Dunlop SP WinterSport M3s in 245/45 x 18 for the front and they are rated 8.7 in deep snow and 9.2 in light snow, the BEST ratings I could find via Tire Rack. Those were not available in 285/40 x 19s for the rear so I am going with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3s rated 8.2 and 9.0. Go to TireRack.com and look at specs and surveys for tires and also other tire sizes available and you will find what you want. Also consider doing what I am doing and upsize your aspect ratios for the winter. I am going from 40F/35R to 45F/40R and raising my car a half inch. For my dau's new Sport Wagon, I will replace the stock 235/55 x 17s with 245/60 x 17s next fall in the rear.

ShawneeJohn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

Thanks for all of the info guys.This stuff is hard to find anywhere else other than this forum.Especially on such a new model.

miketybr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

I not quite sure what to make of these post i understand the tire sizing. Did you find out a suitable tire and rim to replace the summer tires. If so could you please reply. You would think there would be something out there for us with the performance summer tire for the coupe.I also have a 2007 corvette.

zen
    zen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS CPE

If you have the "Performance" option with 19" wheels:

Then why not get (4) wheels (19X9, 5-120, 45s) and (4) 245/45-19 tires. For winter wheels and tires, there is no need to have staggered wheels and tires. You will get better traction with the narrower tires.

Loveldos is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillacs: '13 CTS Cpe, '01 SLS, '71 Eldo Conv

It seems to me Coupe owners with the Summer Tire performance package could purchase the wheels available on the CTS-4 Sedans with the FE5 suspension--the suspension option comes on the Touring Package AWD Sedans and can be specified with "All-Season" tires--here it appears on the GM Online Ordering Guide (I don't know why this is not an option on the AWD Coupes, too):

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/dom...page=4&butID=3

Note that it footnotes "upgradeable to a 19" All-Season Tire package."

Obviously, there is a demand for the bigger and nicer looking wheels, including on an AWD Coupe! (Hopefully, Cadillac Customer Service is listening to pass along the request to the appropriate parties!)

cawengr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance Coupe -3.6 DI 6 Speed Manual

I have a 2011 Coupe with the performance 19" Summer only tires
    The Wheels are 19x8.5x48 Front and 19x9.5x43 in the back
    5 lugs 120 mm spacing
    Front tires 245/45-19
    Rear Tires 275/40-19
    13.5" Rotors front and back

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    If you have the "Performance" option with 19" wheels:

Then why not get (4) wheels (19X9, 5-120, 45s) and (4) 245/45-19 tires. For winter wheels and tires, there is no need to have staggered wheels and tires. You will get better traction with the narrower tires.
    That's generally only true in slush. On dry pavement, wet pavement, packed snow and ice, wider is still better.

12 CTS Touring is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS 6DH35 AWD 1SH Touring

Smile Re: Coupe Winter Tires

bklynbob is right . . . the P225/55R18 Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 (front and rear) are ideal for winter for non-V, 2nd gen CTSs.

The problem is to find the correct rim for the coupe. No problem for the sedan & sport wagon, where the 18X8" rims, 40mm Offset, 5-120 Bolt Pattern, fit the larger brakes.

For road conditions where there is limited traction (wet, snow, and ice), narrower is best because there are more psi/square inch on the road tire contact patch. The tire thread composition & construction also has an effect on traction. Also center of gravity, ground clearance, weight distribution, etc. all figure into this.

The bottom line is that for comparable tires, narrower is better than wider for bad winter conditions, like ice. This assumes that the Load Index of the tire is appropriate.

Unfortunately, this results in a less stable vehicle, especially on the highway. Everything is a compromise.

As most of my winter driving is in the city and treacherous ice is common, I go with the narrower ExtremeWinterContact, X-Ice Xi2, & Blizzak WS70 on all 4 corners. For highway driving, I keep the speed down to legal limits. Yes, it's more skittish.

I wanted to get into unsprung weight, but . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 12 CTS Touring View Post
    For road conditions where there is limited traction (wet, snow, and ice), narrower is best because there are more psi/square inch on the road tire contact patch. The tire thread composition & construction also has an effect on traction. Also center of gravity, ground clearance, weight distribution, etc. all figure into this.
    There is no such thing as psi/square inch. psi is pounds per square inch. All else being equal, a narrower tire with a smaller contact patch will certainly have more pounds per square inch than a wider tire with a larger contact patch, but the pounds, the weight creating friction, will be the same. A wider tire will have more surface, and presumably, more sipes "biting" into the ice and snow. Especially if it's a snow tire with microcell (or nanopro or whatever they want to call it); the more surface area, the more edges gripping the driving surface.
    The old "narrower is better" philosophy only applies to slushy conditions, or lots and lots of really loose snow, where a wider tire will have to literally push aside more snow/slush than a narrower tire. Besides, the difference between, say, a 245 and 235 tire is not going to be that much anyway.

Furthermore, unless you spend a considerable amount of time on snow covered roads, snow tires are a losing proposition. If you live in an urban area where snow removal is done quickly, all-season are the way to go. Traditional snow tires have miserable performance on dry and wet pavement, and they wear much more quickly than all season tires. And their performance decreases drastically as the tread depth does. Unless you swap them off with the changing forecast, or don't drive much during the winter months, you will burn them up. Don't expect more than 10000 miles before their performance becomes comparable to all season tires.

The only thing I am unsure of is the life of the microcell. I haven't had snow tires in about 5 years (I got tired of buying new ones every winter, as I am NOT going to be swapping wheels all winter long) Back then, the microcell was only in the first, I think, 3/32 of tread depth. After that layer is gone, the rubber is solid, and you no longer have those microscopic bubbles. Perhaps they are now able to mold the microcell deeper. I was looking for that info recently, but could not find anything about it.

12 CTS Touring is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS 6DH35 AWD 1SH Touring

Smile Re: Coupe Winter Tires

Perhaps an engineer or a physicist (in the field of friction) could comment

My daily driver is a 2002 Camaro SS with many SLP options and even more mods.

Summer front: 275/40ZR17 Nitto NT05 on 17x9.5" ZR1 Replica
    Summer rear: 315/35ZR17 Nitto NT05 on 17x11" ZR1 Replica

Winter f&r: 215/55R17 XL Continental ExtremeWinterContact tires on 17X8" Centerline Big Sur (required after front Wilwood 140-7763D Superlite 6 piston calipers & rear Wilwood 140-9830D Superlite 4 piston calipers [several years later] replaced the stock brakes. With the stock brakes, the better 205/60R16 were used).

Both set-ups are required for safe driving in northern Alberta. If you try either set-up in the wrong season, it is really apparent. When the tires wear out, I replace them; just like I keep adding gas

Don't get me wrong, if I lived in the boonies up north, where there is always snow on the ground, I would definitely have snow tires. Or even in areas where snow removal takes days. It would be worth it then. But in places like Chicago, I don't remember ever having to deal with more than an inch or so at a time. They keep up with plowing so well here, all season tires work just fine.

EDMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 2008,SRX 2011 awd perfmc & 2011 CTS awd Coupe

I have 18 stock in my awd 2011 coupe and The tire store recommended to stick to 235/50/18 for both front and back because of the clearance in front and its winter and snow might stuck in the tires and well hit the fender in the front when i'm turning if i go wider. They(235/50/18) are narrower. You know we have more snow here in north america (ontario and quebec). Hoping this info will help you decide. Plus 18 snow tires are easy to find vs 19 rubber. I used my stock wheels for my winter tires. Planning to buy new set bling tires in spring. Thks.

TorontoWorker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 11 CTS Sport Coupe, 2000 Carrera GT3, 2008 Sebring Cab

Here's mine. Went down from 19" to 18" rims with Bridgestones Blizzak LM 60's (235/50/18) . Anyone who has driven in a lot of poor conditions will understand that a little more sidewall flex gives better feel and sometimes a wiggle or two before the tire breaks away. I've done ice racing in Minden Ontario in both the stud and non stud classes and I had no urge to run the 19' size rims and their full width thread. Had it out in some snow north of me a week or two ago (Barrie) and the car felt planted - TC rarely came on and only cause I was in sport mode fooling around and shifting at higher RPM's then I should have been, (testing tires I told the wife!) Inflation makes a huge difference in how the car handles. I played around with the PSI for a while until the car felt balanced. I heat cycled the tires on a few high(er) speed runs on the highway a few times and the tires seem to have settled in and cooked off the tire mould release agents and rim lube. Seems better on drive pavement now. The winter rims have TPS so it helps when figuring out which pressure is working for handling. I just wish GM gave us the option of just changing the tire pressure from metric and not everything else including the speedo. Love to be able to have PSI (old school) and everything else metric.

The winter rims are by 'Phat Kat Racing' (Made my Megawheels)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.