Hawk Brake Pads - J55 -Don't make the same mistake that I made!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Hawk Brake Pads - J55 -Don't make the same mistake that I made! in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; My 2008 3.6L DI AWD just passed 50K in mileage. Just before that I brought it in to a Cadillac ...
    Fred_CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-4 3.6 DI AWD

Hawk Brake Pads - J55 -Don't make the same mistake that I made!

My 2008 3.6L DI AWD just passed 50K in mileage. Just before that I brought it in to a Cadillac dealer to have a coil pack replaced while it was still under the 50K warranty. They fixed it and said that the car would soon need new front brake pads and they quoted "around $340" for the job. I usually do all of my own work so I delcined. I went to the interent and looked up Hawk Ceramic brake pads on a popular auto supply site. I ordered a pair after locating the correct ones for 3.6L V6 w/performance brakes. When I went to install them I found that the pads were too long and too narrow. I double checked at several supply sites and all of them listed the HB467Z.540 pads for a 2008 CTS with the performance brakes. I called their customer service and I gave them the exact measurements of the OEM pads and they could not find a pair that would fit. They will do some checking and email me the RMA to return these Hawk pads.
    It has been quite some time since I last visited this forum because the CTS is my wife's and I spend most of my time on the Corvette forum, as I also have a 2008 Corvette. It took only a quick search to learn that there are very few sources for ceramic brake pads if you have the J55 RPO for the heavy duty brakes. Even a call to the local Cadillac parts department did not provide me with that information. They don't have the J55 brakes in stock so they could not give me the measurements. I wish that I had visited this forum before placing the order. I see that Tire Rack does have the correct FMSI D1331-8443 ceramic pads but they are very pricey.
    So if you are thinking about getting ceramic pads be aware that all of the parts supply sites on the internet are listing 467Z.540 FMSI D1019 as the correct pads for the performance brakes and they are wrong!

Has any forum member located a good source for ceramic pads for a CTS with the J55 brake option? BTW, in 55,000 ,iles I never had the problem of squeaking brakes that I learned about while searching this forum. I'm just tired of having to clean the front wheels almost weekly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

Re: Hawk Brake Pads - J55 -Don't make the same mistake that I made!

The one recall on squeeling brakes for the 08 CTS was with the standard brakes. I had that one done. There might have been one for a different symptom with the J55 brakes.

I am aware of the TSBs for brake squeal but my car never had that problem. I am returning the Hawk pads that I ordered online because they are not the correct pads for the J55 heavy duty brake option. Apparently there are 3 different pads for the 2008. Hawk lists the standard base w/o performance brakes HB439Z.555 and the base car with performance brakes HB467Z.540 but they do not make pads for the J55 Heavy Duty brake option. My research on this forum shows that the proper pads are FMSI 8443 D1331 and that they are available at Tire Rack for $121.00 for Satisfied Ceramic VS pads PR1331-C. I located those same brand ceramic pads online for half that price and immediately ordered them. I do not know why there were for sale at such a low price and assume that they were probably mistakenly priced for the rear pads, which cost less. In any case, if I do get the PR1331-C pads for the J55 option delivered at half the price ... I got a real bargain. I want to try the ceramic pads on the front even though I will be giving up a little bit of stopping power in favor of the reduced brake dust.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by Fred_CTS View Post
    . . . . . Has any forum member located a good source for ceramic pads for a CTS with the J55 brake option?
    Fred_CTS... As far I know - the only outlet in the US that offers ceramic brake pads (front) for a J55-equipped CTS is Tire Rack, but as you mentioned they're very pricey.

When I organized a 'group buy' a couple of year back for J55 ceramic pads for about 25 forum members here, I contacted a company called ABS Friction - they're located in Guelph, Ontario. Here's a link to their website: http://www.absfriction.com/

Suggest you contact the sales dept at ABS Friction to see if you can obtain a set of 'J55' ceramic pads for yourself, directly from them. Note that ABS Friction is a manufacturer of brake pads. I found their ceramic brake pads to be excellent - I installed them on my J55-equipped 2008 AWD CTS4.
    I now have a 2009 RWD CTS, equipped with standard duty JE5 brakes.

FYI - here's a link to a pdf of FMSI D1331-8443 (J55 front brake pad) that I located on the web in early 2008.
    http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/1653...14-pm-64k?da=y

EDIT: Fred, I just saw/read your most recent post after I posted this one. Congrats on finding/ordering a set of J55 front pads for half price. Hopefully those pads are the exact ones (fit & form) that you need for the application.
    By the way.. I detected no reduction in stopping power when I switched from semi-metallic to ceramic front brake pads on my J55-equipped 2008 CTS4. No doubt resistance to "fade" is marginally less with the ceramics, but then I never drove my CTS4 on the Nurburgring course!

Helmutk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4, 1996 Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by Fred_CTS View Post
    I am aware of the TSBs for brake squeal but my car never had that problem. I am returning the Hawk pads that I ordered online because they are not the correct pads for the J55 heavy duty brake option. Apparently there are 3 different pads for the 2008. Hawk lists the standard base w/o performance brakes HB439Z.555 and the base car with performance brakes HB467Z.540 but they do not make pads for the J55 Heavy Duty brake option. My research on this forum shows that the proper pads are FMSI 8443 D1331 and that they are available at Tire Rack for $121.00 for Satisfied Ceramic VS pads PR1331-C. I located those same brand ceramic pads online for half that price and immediately ordered them. I do not know why there were for sale at such a low price and assume that they were probably mistakenly priced for the rear pads, which cost less. In any case, if I do get the PR1331-C pads for the J55 option delivered at half the price ... I got a real bargain. I want to try the ceramic pads on the front even though I will be giving up a little bit of stopping power in favor of the reduced brake dust.
    Did you order the Satisfied Pro Ceramic VS PR1331-C pads from Amazon? I just found them on there at half the Tire Rack price also and ordered them. Hope they are the right ones!

jhermit is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI

Anybody knows if EBC has pads for these breaks? I'm OK with the Satisfied ones, but EBC has the red ones I really like :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Helmutk View Post
    Did you order the Satisfied Pro Ceramic VS PR1331-C pads from Amazon? I just found them on there at half the Tire Rack price also and ordered them. Hope they are the right ones!
    Yes those are the pads that I ordered at $68.20 with free S&H. I just noticed that the price went up today to $75.26, which is still way less that the cost at Tire Rack. I keeping my fingers crossed that they send me the correct Satisifed Pro Ceramic PR1331-C pads because that price seems too good to be true when they list out at $140.00. Like I said in my earlier post ... I think that they may have mistakenly priced them as the rear pads, which are PR1337-C. I'll know in a few days.

PGH STEELERS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS (3.6 AWD)

Man I hope I don't have a problem, today I went to Oreilly's here in Westerville, Ohio and purchased ceramic brake that are made from 'BrakeBest Select' model # C1331. Per the guy at the store, he stated that this will be the correct pad for the J55 series. Well I'll be installing these brake pads this weekend weather permitting and I'll let you all know if I ran into any problems.

zen
    zen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS CPE

Pep Boys stocks the PR 1331-c pads, $ 69.99. They are the right ones for J55 and I have them installed without any problem.

Yep ... the PR1331-C pads are the correct ones for the J55 optioned performance brakes. I got mine today from Amazon.com at the $68.20 delivered. They are the same Satisfied Pro-Ceramic pads sold at the Tire Rack for $121.00. I sent back the Hawk pads that were 3/4" too long even though they insisted that they were the correct pads for the performance brakes. Hawk may make them for the J55 but they did not list any IMSA 1331-C pads on their website.

C6Vette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS DI FE3

I just went to Amazon and couldn't find anything that looked like what you guys listed. I need new pads now and I don't know where to buy them. Did you guys replace your rotors as well, or did you just use the same rotors?

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

If you reread the the thread you will see that they are several parts stores noted above that now carry the correct part #.

cts4ever is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS & 2010 SRX

This forum is the best!

I came "this close" to ordering the Hawk pads that are STILL listed for the '08 CTS with J55 performance brakes, but a voice told me to check the forum first, and sure enough... So thanks to Fred_CTS and everyone else who has contributed to this thread! It sent me around the corner to Pep Boys where I picked up the Satisfied Pro PR-1331C pads for 56 bucks!

My car only has 16,000 miles on it, but I was so sick and tired of cleaning the front wheels every few days (A few stops are all that's needed to see the dust!) that I wanted ceramics bad! Cadillac lists none, so because of this forum, I bought and installed these. Perfect fit, and a week later, the wheels are looking fine! The pedal effort and feel don't seem to be any different, but I'm still breaking them in, so I can't yet vouch for their performance.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.