CTS Coupe Seat Problem - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, CTS Coupe Seat Problem in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by ShawneeJohn I've had my coupe now for nine weeks.Overall I'm pleased with it.I have the premium and ...
    jabuya is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Sedan

Re: CTS Coupe Seat Problem

Quote Originally Posted by ShawneeJohn View Post
    I've had my coupe now for nine weeks.Overall I'm pleased with it.I have the premium and sport packages.The one thing that has bugged me is a bulge in the middle of the seat back.I complained to the dealership,and without admitting that anything was wrong swapped out the seat with another new coupe.It is somewhat better,but still can be felt.The passenger seat,too has this.Today on line at an automotive blog site,I read that the bulge is caused by the active headrest system and that Cadillac was working on a fix.The headrest is supposed to extend if you are rear-ended to prevent neck injury.Anyone notice this or have further info on fix.Thanks
    I have a new 2011 Premium Sport Sedan that I only have had for 6 weeks and am experiencing the same problem. Like you have a broomstick between your spine and the seat back. My wife won't even ride in the car. This is insane from a $52,000 Cadillac.
    SHOWGIRL and SHOWGIRL like this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by jabuya View Post
    I have a NEW 2011 CTS4 Premium with only 1,035 miles. I have only had it since 6/14/12. The seats are KILLING ME. My wife refuses to ride in the car. It feels like we have our backs against the short edge of a 2x4. I talked to cadillac about it and they basically shrugged their shoulders. The made it look like I was the only one who ever reported this. Well guess what, from what I am reading here, I am not alone. The seam running vertically up the center of the seat back pushes against my spine to the point of pain.
    Sorry to hear this! Have you visited the dealership with this issue? If you would like to set up a case with customer service please message us your name, phone number, address, VIN, mileage, and involved dealership.

Thanks!
    Ashley (assisting Katie)
    Cadillac Customer Service

Ed4741 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I was able to reduce the harshness of the bump by deflating the lumbar with the switch. While keeping the switch depressed, push with your back as hard as you can to possibly force all of the air out of the bladder. Hope this gives you some relief.

cf400ex is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Sedan Premium
    I recently took the seat back trim off my driver seat (2008 sedan with heat/cooled seats) and saw that the lumbar is actually a metal plate that is being "bowed" to create the effect, not an air bladder.

So it's a metal plate with thin padding your lower back is resting on.

You can see photos of the plate in this thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ed-repair.html

ShawneeJohn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

My seat back protrusion is actually above the lumbar area.I've tried non ventilated seats,and did not notice it.I've lived with it for two years now and have compensated some by extending the lumbar to create a more flat surface.I think it's less bothersome for someone who's taller.I'm 5'8.Otherwise my coupe has been trouble free.I would like to try a new coupe with ventilated seats to see if the problem has been addressed.

bbexperience is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Coupe

I did some searching and found this thread, so I'm going to resurrect it. I just picked up a 2013 Coupe last week and I have the exact same issue. There's a weird bulge/bump higher up in the seat than where the lumbar support is. It seems to be just below the silver emblem on the seat back. It's pretty uncomfortable even after a very short time. I would imagine that it just depends on how tall you are. Some people it's going to hit just right to be annoying and others will be too tall or too short to notice it. I'm 6'0" and apparently unlucky that it nails me right in the upper back. Now that I know others have experienced this I think I'll take it to the dealer to see what they say.

ShawneeJohn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

I've learned to live with the bulge.Since I've only noticed it in coupes with ventilated seats,I believe it's due to upper vent fan.My dealer swapped out my seats with another coupe,but I still have the problem.A friend purchased a 2013 coupe with ventilated Recaros,no problem.Wish they had been available for 2011.

bbexperience is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Coupe

I just find it strange that more people aren't complaining about it. I find lots of complaints about the stiffness of the seats (which I have no issues with) but virtually none about this specific issue. That would indicate to me that there's something wrong with certain seats. I've contacted my sales person and he said he had not heard any complaints about it either.

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

I don't have ventilated seats, so I am not familiar with your particular situation.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post
    I did some searching and found this thread, so I'm going to resurrect it. I just picked up a 2013 Coupe last week and I have the exact same issue. There's a weird bulge/bump higher up in the seat than where the lumbar support is. It seems to be just below the silver emblem on the seat back. It's pretty uncomfortable even after a very short time. I would imagine that it just depends on how tall you are. Some people it's going to hit just right to be annoying and others will be too tall or too short to notice it. I'm 6'0" and apparently unlucky that it nails me right in the upper back. Now that I know others have experienced this I think I'll take it to the dealer to see what they say.
    Hello bbexperience,

I hope you are enjoying your new vehicle so far, minus the seat problem! I recommend taking your vehicle into the dealership, just like you stated you would do to see what they say. We rely on our dealership for technical support and they will properly diagnose and fix your vehicle. Please let me know if you need help with locating a nearby dealer or setting up an appointment. Thank you, have a great night!

Sincerely,
    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

dandunham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS performance mdl 3.6L

I have the vented seats on my 2011 sport and I will say the seats are HARD and the biggest issue is that the side bolsters (that look nice) but are utterly worthless so it feels like you are sitting on a board with no lateral support. the other challenge is the head rest. on the plus side I have been able to adjust them enough to make them usable. I have come to realize that if you are looking for a cushy seat this might not be the car for you. My last car was an Audi and it had much better seats but it was a different kind of car.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by MotownPimp View Post
    The seats could use a little more padding but calling it a "PROBLEM" is over stating the case. I bought a cushion that covers seat and seat back for my wife. Have not heard a peep about it since.
    I have had no issues with mine.

49lukester09 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I have a 2011 CTS coupe, heated and vent seats . I have the same issue with the seatback poking into your lower back. I too hope Cadillac comes up with a fix. This is my only beef with an otherwise great car.

dandunham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS performance mdl 3.6L

Just to update my previous post. I continued to have problems with the head rest poking me at the base of the neck so I pulled it out of the car, pulled the skin off of the headrest and reformed the plastic inner core to reshape the bottom of the headrest. I used a heat gun to do this and have attached a picture. I also cut away some of the inner foam padding to blend the form a bit better. Now that I have that done I can sit in the seat as I like and it feels much more comfortable all the way around. Now I just need to figure out how to fix the lack of lateral bolsters and I wont feel like I am going to slide out of my seat every time a take a hard corner.photo.jpeg

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by dandunham View Post
    Now I just need to figure out how to fix the lack of lateral bolsters and I wont feel like I am going to slide out of my seat every time a take a hard corner.
    If you can do anything then that would be great. Otherwise, it's called Recaros.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.