New Heated Washer Replacement AT-37GM - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, New Heated Washer Replacement AT-37GM in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; How easy is this to install on a CTS that never had the heated washer fluid system? My 2009 CTS-V ...
    neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Re: New Heated Washer Replacement AT-37GM

How easy is this to install on a CTS that never had the heated washer fluid system? My 2009 CTS-V didn't come with this feature but I would love to have this for those long, icy Cleveland winters!

jhermit is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI

When I was in their website, I was looking at their other model (AT38-OD) for cars that did not have the feature from factory because I am thinking about adding it to my other car that sits outside. They have instructions that you can download before you buy and will give you a sense of how "Easy" it is. Seems to me the only question would be where do you tap into the battery. Everything else seemed pretty straight forward.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

anonfrank,

Yeah, as jhermit indicated, AlphaTherm model AT-37GM discussed here is designed only for '09 and earlier GM vehicles with a factory-installed windshield washer system that includes separate controls for both unheated and heated operation. For other vehicles, model AT-38OD converts the factory-installed unheated system to an always-on (while engine is running) heated-only system, and utilizes the single existing factory-installed control switch.

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

928S,
    The picture in the thread you listed is the completed install with the new AlphaTherm, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by jghiller View Post
    The picture in the thread you listed is the completed install with the new AlphaTherm, yes?
    Yes, thanks to st4422 for the photo of his completed AT-37GM installation.

Got my unit in 2 days and I am close to just going out there and putting it in - but instead need to go and get adapters to temporarily connect input/output oem hoses(looks like my 08 CTS has same size hose as Alpha(1/4" outside diameter), go find the fuse and remove it and take car in Friday and hope GM doesnt mess things up.
    Unit looks sturdy and well made - I should just hand it to GM and say put it in!

st4422/928S,

Did you remove the negative cable from the battery before removing fuse? Not something I want to play with - are there instructions for this in manual? I didnt notice any. Looks like there is some sort of lever on the white terminal that may be used to remove connection.

mightypizu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon 3.6 AWD, Crystal Red

Isn't this the same company (different name) and/or unit that started the recall in the first place? Or is it the new and approved version (I assume so since everyone is installing it)? Thanks.

jhermit is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI

Yes, it is different but based on the technology of the original. 928S posted this link
    http://alphathermusa.com/files/Compa...35_vs_AT37.pdf
    which gives a rather detailed description on how they have improved it. Their website also has information. I did quite a bit of reading and was comfortable that the problems have been adequately addressed.

My unit also arrived in 2 days. I am going to the dealership on Friday to have the recall done and I will install it Sat.

Quote Originally Posted by jghiller View Post
    Did you remove the negative cable from the battery before removing fuse? Not something I want to play with - are there instructions for this in manual? I didnt notice any. Looks like there is some sort of lever on the white terminal that may be used to remove connection.
    Yes, as a precaution I did disconnect the battery's negative cable. Battery located in righthand wall compartment in trunk, no tools needed to disconnect/reconnect. Afterward just remember to reprogram power windows via quick-n-easy procedure in owner's manual.

After the recall service has been performed and the AlphaTherm AT-37GM is installed, when re-inserting the 60-amp fuse with engine off, there's no need to disconnect the battery.

Thanks - I also see where the electronic throttle control has to be programmed too.(Page 5-44).

Does the connection come off using the lever mechanism on the terminal? Ony info on cable removal I found was in TSBs(Alldatadiy) and that showed a battery in engine - obviously incorrect for the CTS.

st4422 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Black Ice, 2009 CTS DI Thunder Gray

I wouldn't worry about disconnecting the battery. Just remove the fuse while you do the installation, then replace it. You might want to cover the fuse block during installation just so nothing falls into the interior... power is there at all times.

Kinda leaning that way and just be careful. Surprised to see a regular metal pliers used to remove fuse rather than fuse removal tool.

Searched 2 auto parts stores and was lucky to find one 1/4" barb. Wrangled the input/output hoses off old unit and connected them with adapter - although I probably could have used a 1/8" because these adapters were square ended and not tapered like the ones that came with new unit. The ones that came with the new unit are supposed to be 1/4" but looked smaller. In any event, thats done. Not a critical step. Removed battery shroud and figured out how to remove UBEC top(push in on tabs as per unlock arrows), and carefully removed yellow 60amp fuse.
    Taking to dealer tomorrow and its supposed to rain so I better make sure wipers work OK as instructed.

Poopie D is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V **sold**, 2009 CTS4

When you press the button, does it still display info on heated wash in the DIC like the factory one?

Helmutk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4, 1996 Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by Poopie D View Post
    When you press the button, does it still display info on heated wash in the DIC like the factory one?
    Yes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.