Nav Headunit Pictures / Lets get this hacked - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Nav Headunit Pictures / Lets get this hacked in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by dsteinmann I Have at least figured out how to load the updates off a USB Drive inteade ...
    Merge is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ★ 2009 CTS⁴ Black Raven|Ebony ★

Re: Nav Headunit Pictures / Lets get this hacked

Quote Originally Posted by dsteinmann View Post
    I Have at least figured out how to load the updates off a USB Drive inteade of the DVD
    How?

STSNZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS Foose, CTS with LS2 supercharged on propane (in progress

Good afternoongentlemen – love the topic and what you guys are trying to achieve. I’m hopingwith knowledge in this area you may solve a problem all CTS owners have downhere in New Zealand.
    Now in sayingthat there are only about 60 cars in total… these were the cars GM were gettingready for sale in Australia when GM pulled the plug on Cadillac dealershiparound the world. So they were sold off to a private GM (Holden) dealership,who sold them all to Cadillac enthusiasts within 2 weeks! Not bad for a countryof only 4.5 million.
    My CTS is from London,England. The navigation maps are for Europe only. The Australia/NZ cars have nomaps at all. We all want New Zealand maps loaded.
    I can talk withTom Tom, Navman, Garmin etc who all have NZ maps – but how can I get their mapsloaded to a disc that the CTS would recognize and load?
    Appreciate anyideas or thoughts – thanks a bunch.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

that's going to take some serious hacking

you have to decode the european disc ... rip out the maps on there then replace them with the correct maps

that's the simple explanation sparing the technical details
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

dsteinmann is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Lux - 2008 CTS DI Luxury Performance II <-4 Sale

Yes can you get ahold of some maps that look identical to the CTS and on that cars update disc if their labled update00.dat should be around six of them depending on your coverage. then you might be able to swap them on the update disc from gmnav. then you may also run in to the issue of the coverage areas in the the service menu, this might on be a US only thing - because i have 3 options in there us and canada - Hawaii - Alaska I think thats what my options are in the service menu. but I think if you had the proper map files you should be able to order a disc and replace the files..............maybe

Yes that was my thoughts. I spoke to a mapping expert who asked what operating system the CTS is using?
    I assume one can purchase a DVD with maps of say US?
    Can I download a copy or anyone have a copy I could get hold of to show them?
    Another issue down here is the TV - It scans and picks up a bunch of TV channels, but the reception is not good and no sound.
    Thanks

Does anyone have a NaV map CD? I want a developer to look at the files, maybe can upgrade for other countries.
    I can purchase a CD, or can someone upload to a server so I can download?
    Thanks again

Michael_atDell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by STSNZ
    Yes that was my thoughts. I spoke to a mapping expert who asked what operating system the CTS is using?
    I assume one can purchase a DVD with maps of say US?
    Microsoft Windows Automotive 5.0

kingtj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition

Very interesting and informative thread here, guys. I, too, am really interested in the inner workings of the infotainment system. Maybe it's just because I'm a computer/I.T. guy? But I realize that all of these systems are really just computers, locked down with software to try to discourage people from making changes to them. Well, it's the nature of a computer to allow and encourage changes! The personal computer would have never taken off in the first place if everyone was content to buy only pre-packaged, unmodifiable programs for them and they had no provisions for coding one's own programs!

I'm not sure if this of any help, but for people interested in replacing/upgrading the existing 40GB EIDE drive in this head-unit with an SSD, Transcend makes an EIDE SSD drive:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Internal...uct/B001BPDEU6

It's only a 64GB, so not a huge space increase from the original ... but would give the reliability of solid-state, and might be more likely to be supported fully by the stereo than a far bigger capacity SATA drive, attached via a SATA to EIDE converter?

I also see that Microsoft is referring developers-to-be for Windows Automotive devices to Qualnetics, who manufactures a reference platform stereo/GPS/bluetooth/MP3 player device to code on, bundled with the necessary development kit software (for "only" $6,295!): http://www.qualnetics.com/WE-ADK/

just a little fyi:

the Cadillac CUE will be a custom Linux based system - which will have an API and an 'app store' of sorts

1) i wonder how much using linux cut down on the development costs
    2) i wonder how locked down it will actually be (probably just as much as current systems, just with more upgrade posibilities)
    3) i wonder how much of CUE was developed in-house and how much (if any was outsourced)
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Almarks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

can you purchase this alpine/GM pop up nav system online somewhere? My 2008 CTS did not come with it but I would like to install it.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

They aren't for sale as parts. I don't think. You would have to find one on ebay. Most likely from a totaled CTS.

the parts are sold separately for servicing cars that have the system

but it would be just about as hard as adding HUD to a car that doesn't have it

and no guarantee that it work

1968vert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Almarks View Post
    can you purchase this alpine/GM pop up nav system online somewhere? My 2008 CTS did not come with it but I would like to install it.
    Check out my thread:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...o-non-nav.html
    A couple of us were able to swap it in successfully. I got about $600 into mine

Mr. TellOnEverybody is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Premium Coupe

This thread took an unexpected turn. However, what you're talking about seems like valuable information. Have you been able to hack the audio system to display album art?

FST DAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 cts-v

Does know the processor type? Maybe run android on it with all the coolness of android apps and google maps. I may be looking to do something else fun like this. The installed system is useless.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.