Nav Headunit Pictures / Lets get this hacked - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Nav Headunit Pictures / Lets get this hacked in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; sometimes i think the engineers put stuff in there just to mess with people like you who are curious and ...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Nav Headunit Pictures / Lets get this hacked

sometimes i think the engineers put stuff in there just to mess with people like you who are curious and know enough to be dangerous

and what quote are you talking about?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Megathumper View Post
    And Jimmy, I appreciate your concern. I am very careful and not changing anything else. But it can't hurt to know what Auto Show Mode does...don't have to turn it on, just what the heck does it do?
    I am not sure even Jesse knows that. They were discussing it in V2 a while back, and no one came up with an answer. My guess? It's an artifact. Something that was put into the firmware for something, then never got used. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Megathumper View Post
    And Launch mode... if it is controlling the standing start traction control, it must be in a super soft mode. The car is kinda of dead until it gets going a few mph, then it does kick in a few more ponies.
    Or maybe that is just a dead option on the cts-4 and only available on the cts-v?
    You have to remember; almost all of today's cars have torque management built into the ECM. It's the only way they stuff so much power into these cars, and be able to warranty them to 100k miles, while not spending a fortune on drivetrain.

I have seen it many times on these forums and others; folks hack the ECM to get rid of torque management. Without making a single other modification, no additional horsepower, no weight reduction, no drivetrain upgrades; you can cut many tenths off the 1/4 mile ET and get 10mph+ more at the trap. I have seen SRT guys (or so they claim) get close to a full second by disabling TM. And most of them have destroyed trannys and diffs in record time after doing so.

I believe torque management is why manufacturers are getting so protective of their ECMs nowadays. It's the saving grace in a marginally-engineered drivetrain. They can cut weight and cost from a drivetrain simply by reducing engine output during shifts, off the line, etc.

Megathumper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-4 Luxury Sports

Yeah, I know about ECM torque mgmt etc. I suspect you are right, they cut corners on the drivetrain and protect it with the computers. I am not trying to race it, just trying to learn. I am going to have to drive another one to see if it is as limited as mine because it is REALLY slow from a standing start. Just playing around.
    I am a member of a car/motorcycle club, they have little charity car shows about twice a year.... be nice to have a fancy light display... I won't win, most of the other guys are Porsche and Ferrari owners...but they don't have a "Auto Show Mode" either!

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Yes, the CTS4 is a little slow off the line. I didn't have mine long enough to flog it good, but I tried roasting all four, didn't happen. Too heavy, not enough power. And yup, TM.

Other than slow starts and a little bit tight at the knees, I really like the car, so far. I wanted a V but reality prevents that. Since I like to play on deserted curvy mountain back roads, AWD is a good compromise.

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

Looking thru the junk programming in that area after it points to the code for the auto show mode, it is just shutting off the signal for the GPS to allow a fake route to be produced while it is in a display to show vendors what the unit can do on its gps navigation to show off the system. Normally the unit would just not work and show anything if it dont recieve a gps signal.

It also DOES NOT pull power from the vehicles engine nor does it modify the suspension system on the car.

In theory it could, as any module on the bus could command a torque request, but that is not something the radio would be doing.

Onstar however could pull power or request a lower speed limit if it so deems necissary..

Hurray! An informative answer! Thank you very much! Not what I was hoping for but at least we know now. With all the cool lights on the car, I was hoping for some flashy showoff display. But it is what it is! Thanks again. I am very impressed with your code de-compiling skills...I am long time computer guy but not going to attempt it on my car!

Now, to fix that launch mode....JUST KIDDING !!!! I am not messing with it...

well, from what i gather from jesse's other posts... something like what you were hoping the auto-show mode to be is what he is working on (or has already figured out)

his modification will allow many things, one of them being a custom display
    so you'll just have to make your own video to play... on that display when you show off the car

... or i could be way off...
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

has anyone who's taken this HDD out tried to upgrade the size of the drive using clonezilla?

in theory it should work... and i would mess around with this if i had one ... but i don't so ...

Merge is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ★ 2009 CTS⁴ Black Raven|Ebony ★

Anyone figure out a way to access the drive using the USB connector?

i think jesse bubb (wait4me) has hacked these partially - maybe fully

dsteinmann is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Lux - 2008 CTS DI Luxury Performance II <-4 Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Merge View Post
    Anyone figure out a way to access the drive using the USB connector?
    I dont think that would ever be possible!

But my newest Idea since everyones talking about the SRX, Is trying to see if that would boot up with our face plate and Other modules???

I Have at least figured out how to load the updates off a USB Drive inteade of the DVD

dgrant3830 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Performance

Ok guys, so where are these hidden menus to be found? Mine is a new 2012 CTS with the hard drive. I know a lot about the hidden menus in the C-6 Corvette but there are some in there that I wouldn't touch for anything. Someone else did once and rendered it into a brick till it was reflashed.

Quote Originally Posted by dgrant3830 View Post
    Ok guys, so where are these hidden menus to be found? Mine is a new 2012 CTS with the hard drive. I know a lot about the hidden menus in the C-6 Corvette but there are some in there that I wouldn't touch for anything. Someone else did once and rendered it into a brick till it was reflashed.
    Service menu FAV+CONFIG+INFO 3424

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.