Nav Headunit Pictures / Lets get this hacked - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Nav Headunit Pictures / Lets get this hacked in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by newlinux I for one would never take on what others in this thread are trying to do ...
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: Nav Headunit Pictures / Lets get this hacked

Quote Originally Posted by newlinux View Post
    I for one would never take on what others in this thread are trying to do unless I had 2 CTSs . I work in the IT world (although I am long past my coding days) but I want my car to just work. That said, if someone gets some of this stuff to work, and writes up a reasonable how-to I can follow - I might just try it. So more power to you all.
    I stick to hacking around with computers. I have 5, so if I break one, I have others to fall back on

I did like using the thumb drive in the usb port. i thought it worked very well. The only thing I missed about it versus the ipod was having playlists. I just made do with playing albums or shuffling. The only bad part was when I first plugged it it, it took about 10-15 minutes for it to index the whole drive. So I think that would preclude using multiple flash drives while you are on the road.

newlinux is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Black Raven CTS4 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I stick to hacking around with computers. I have 5, so if I break one, I have others to fall back on

I did like using the thumb drive in the usb port. i thought it worked very well. The only thing I missed about it versus the ipod was having playlists. I just made do with playing albums or shuffling. The only bad part was when I first plugged it it, it took about 10-15 minutes for it to index the whole drive. So I think that would preclude using multiple flash drives while you are on the road.
    Me too, I have 8 computer in my house and I am a constant tinkerer with those, But I have redundacy and it won't mess up an $50K investments I've made .

Yeah, I imagine a lot of music on multiple drives would get a little frustrating on the road. I actually tend to just load different songs to the hard drive. I wish it had more room and more playlist capability (can only have 6, and they can only have 100 songs or less. I can do with 100 songs, but I'd like more than 6 custom playlists - at least I can have artist, album, genre favorite lists).

FST DAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 cts-v

I dig this thread! -- Just was looking into who else may have been thinking the same thing as I was.

I am curious why Windows Automotive 5 doesn't show up in my MSDN account -- I assume it must be a form of CE or something (or like you said above, WM5 or 6).

You know, if you were to use GParted, you could do a partition copy from one disk to the other, and then have GParted resize the partition. That may work for those that are looking to make it a larger disk.

Other reasons for a larger disk:

Store all of your DVD rips on your hard disk
    Store your entire music collection on your hard disk

Other reasons for OS control:

Use real Google or bing maps for navigation real time
    Get real time traffic updates without having to pay XM Traffic their 4 bucks a month.
    Tether with your cell phone for internet access for streaming of Pandora, and other internet services -- via blutooth, etc.

Then, if everyone really started to want to do it, create a simple market place framework where people can create their own apps, and put them up for others.

Replied for the subscription and support of this Didn't mean to hijack your thread

ASKAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 3.6DI 2009, Black Raven

Try using a cloning software Acronis True Image 2011, it has a feature that enables you to clone to a larger HDD without corrupting the data.

FST DAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 cts-v

Yea.. thats a good app too. Can be found under torrents.

BIC
    BIC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 Sport Wagon Premium Collection 3.6L FE2

Just as a side note--to be clear--I did not get a Nav data restore DVD. Should one have been included with a new car?

off1c3r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T Performance AWD

This is something I tried googling around for. I wouldn't mind putting a 120gb drive in. My music collection is around 80gb (I use mainly all 320kbps files), and I would'nt mind putting some video files on it too. With just my own knowledge, a clone of the 40gb to a larger should be enough to copy the hidden partition to the new one with whatever info it has. Personally I do not think serials of drives would have to match with the firmware.. I think it just looks for the code in the hidden partition and thats it. I am too chicken to try it though :P... I don't want to brick my nav unit

There is a possibility the radio will not recognize a larger drive.

dsteinmann is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Lux - 2008 CTS DI Luxury Performance II <-4 Sale

Can someone Please Post the pinout for the big connector on the navigation PLEASE!!

BMANN06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08' CTS4, 02' Avalanche Z71, 09' Vibe, 05' R1

Interesting post ... I'm glad you've discovered the form factor of the hard drive (very surprised its EIDE) as this has come up in a previous post. I get what your trying to do, I will certainly be following this post. My 0.02cents ... I wouldn't mess with mine (nav), you indeed get what you pay for, and having a functional infotainment system that doesn't require constant updates (as a new developement will) I can live without. The updates are expensive, and the traffic and sat radio along with onstar all add up. Couldn't agree more ... but it always works! And when you do get an optional upgrade (NAV disc etc) it does seem expensive but it is optional. Don't think I'm bashing your plan, I respect it ... you certainly have a lot of balls (or money) to tear your nav system apart. I'll be following this post for sure!

Just looking for the 44pin Connector pinout to try to disable the nav lockout right now

I dont think you can disable it. The nav knows when you are moving thanks to gps.

Im going to try to switch the VSS wire on&off and the park sense for the dvd wires. or possible the can bus

csalmon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Your message box is full.

It is not that easy, there is no 'VSS' or 'park sense' circuit on this radio. From what I can tell everything is done through GMLAN messages. I think the lockpicks intercept these messages and manipulate them to trick the radio into thinking the vehicle is not moving. I'm no expert and this may be straying from the original topic.

empty now Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.