What other PS fluid is the same as GM #89021184
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, What other PS fluid is the same as GM #89021184 in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I don't want to wait until Tuesday to pick up a bottle at the dealer so what other brand would ...
    atikovi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Professional Chassis Raised Roof Presidential Limousine

What other PS fluid is the same as GM #89021184

I don't want to wait until Tuesday to pick up a bottle at the dealer so what other brand would work? I have a bottle of Advance PS fluid but it doesn't mention that GM number.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Re: What other PS fluid is the same as GM #89021184

I've got a bottle of Prestone PS fluid and the label says it is formulated for GM, Ford and Chyrsler system; no mention of any specifications. There website also mentions compatibility with factory fluids.

I found my Cadillac dealer parts department to be open today but when I gave him that part number he couldn't find it, like it doesn't exist, even when GMPartsDirect.com clearly shows it. Some more searching online finds another part number for the same product but in a larger bottle which the dealer does have. I would think the parts people would know this! Instead I had to make 2 trips.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I think i would have gone to Pep Boys and bought a respectable brand that listed it as being GM certified.

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    I think i would have gone to Pep Boys and bought a respectable brand that listed it as being GM certified.
    That may be OK for a 10 year old car but the late models require specific fluids. I wouldn't trust a brand that says it works with all GM vehicles when some cars use ATF as a PS fluid.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

To each his own but your theory is incorrect. How many dealers are use synthetics other than Mobil 1. My dealer uses Kendall. I presume its cheaper. If a product achieves the GM certification, then it's good to go.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

I changed mine out and used AMSOIL Synthetic PS Fluid.

crystal_red is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT/LIGHT TITANIUM

AMSOIL-best lubricants on the planet and they have the data to back up their claims. I use AMSOIL for everything on all my vehicles. NEVER had a single problem.

C66 Racing is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V (sold)

Probably a little late for the OP, but for those looking to upgrade the stock fluid to a high quality synthetic:
    AMSOIL Synthetic Power Steering Fluid (Product Code PSFCN)

Ordering info in my sig.

briar1989 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): no cadillacs 04 silverado z71

Well just for everyone if your vehicle is still under any kind of warranty using anything but gm factory fluid will violate said warranty as far as the fluid itself is concerned the factory fluid is a full synthetic specialty fluid same as the transfer case and front diff fluids and the proper replacement is only available from a gm dealer- reference i work for one

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

briar1989,

Welcome to the forum! I'm happy to see you are reading the posts! Most newbies start by asking questions that have been answered many time here!

Welcome, Marv

Quote Originally Posted by briar1989 View Post
    Well just for everyone if your vehicle is still under any kind of warranty using anything but gm factory fluid will violate said warranty
    If you need the fluid you probably have a leak and if the car is still under warranty, have the dealer take care of it.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Well just for everyone if your vehicle is still under any kind of warranty using anything but gm factory fluid will violate said warranty as far as the fluid itself is concerned the factory fluid is a full synthetic specialty fluid same as the transfer case and front diff fluids and the proper replacement is only available from a gm dealer- reference i work for one
    This is not true (unless the fluid is solely proprietary of GM) in which case that fluid would be available from said dealer at no charge. I reference a quote:

"Much of the protections for vehicles and their warranties are from the 1975 Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. One brief relevant component of this law makes it that if a specific factory fluid is REQUIRED for operation of your vehicle, and there is no such available alternative that can be met with established standards of quality and production, the vehicle manufacturer and franchisees (i.e. the dealerships) must make that fluid available at no charge."

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Dealer propaganda.

They cannot force you to buy something branded by them (GM) that helps them make money. All you need is to have is power steering fluid you use meet their requirements, that's it, end of story. If they (the dealer) tell you differently, it could be construed as against the law and at the very least unethical of them to tell you that.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ne-maintenance

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?

No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

Quote Originally Posted by C&C View Post
    This is not true (unless the fluid is solely proprietary of GM) in which case that fluid would be available from said dealer at no charge. I reference a quote:

"Much of the protections for vehicles and their warranties are from the 1975 Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. One brief relevant component of this law makes it that if a specific factory fluid is REQUIRED for operation of your vehicle, and there is no such available alternative that can be met with established standards of quality and production, the vehicle manufacturer and franchisees (i.e. the dealerships) must make that fluid available at no charge."
    Interesting...so I am in a pickle. I am trying to find an aftermarket fluid for the AWD transfer case. But apparently the only people that make the GLS fluid is GM. Yet they want $5 for it...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.