Looking at 10 CTS rear wheel drive-any good in snow? Thanks
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Looking at 10 CTS rear wheel drive-any good in snow? Thanks in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Looking at 10 CTS rear wheel drive-any good in snow? Thanks...
    B8TZM is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Re: Looking at 10 CTS rear wheel drive-any good in snow? Thanks

1. Put a set of Blizzak 60s on it. There is at least one other brand that are fantastic in snow. Check Tire Rack ratings for snows.
    2. Apply the snow-driving skills that you developed as a teen.
    3. Put some weights in the trunk. Manhole covers work for me.

mjbuck is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

As a person who has grown up in northern most reaches of Michigan, where our annuall snowfall regularly exceeds 300 inches, I can weigh in on rear-wheel drive cars of any type. I was driving before front-wheel drive made it's appearance on most cars, which means I've had a lot of experience driving rear-wheel cars in snow. None of them were adequate and I assume the Cadillac CTS is no different. Regardless of the anit-slip technology of the rear-wheel drive system, no rear-wheel drive car will perform well on snow. The rear of the car is too light, thus allowing the rear tires to spin easily when power is applied. The wider front tires will have a more difficult time "cutting" through accumulated snow, making the driver apply more power to the wheels, thus causing tire spin and loss of traction. Also, the front of the car is so low that it too will cause you to "plow" through the snow if it has accumulated just a few inches, again causing more power to be applied and loss of traction. Again, this is all from years of driving on snow. From this experience, I can't imagine the Cadillac not suffering the same fate as previous rear-wheel drive cars I have driven.

exm22psu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD Premium

I think this is all going to depend on how much snow you get and where you drive. I had a rear wheel drive CTS loaner last winter here in Indianapolis, IN and I was amazed at how well it did. Sure the tires slipped more pulling out of icy parking lots but overall I think it would have been just fine for the winters we get here. Add to that the fact that the steering had a little more feedback than my AWD and it was fun to blow the back end out in turns, and I would consider RWD in my next CTS.

B8TZM is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Looking for a feww more opinions before I decide thanks as always for great help

brothleutner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 4

Personally, a guy can survive in the snow with pretty much any car, as long as they figure out how to drive it in the snow. The only REAL problem is the depth of the snow and the limited clearance of the car. If you suck at driving in the snow, there are going to be more problems. If you are mediocre at driving in the snow, then maybe just some decent snow tires will help you out. You really have to ask yourself about your own ability, and be honest with yourself. The rear wheel drive pretty much has a 50-50 weight distribution and that helps. I have an AWD and it's awesome, but if the car we would have found a RWD for the same price, I would have bought that without thinking twice. I live in Omaha, and usually one or two bad snowstorms a year.

Mbai2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS DI 6 Speed Manual Black/Black w/ FE3 Fully Loaded

I've lived in Michigan and Chicago ever since I learned how to drive. I have a rear wheel drive manual and it has been fine in the snow. I have a set of Dunlop winters and have never gotten stuck. The Blizzaks are much better but the tire store I went to were sold out. Blizzaks will be the next set I get.

The only time I got stuck is when I was in DC with summer only tires on. They do not know how to plow snow. My advice for this situation is to get rubber floor mats for your car that have the spikes on the underside. When you really get stuck, you can just take the rubber floor mats and place them under the drive wheels for traction. Works like a charm.

Like several posters have said, clearance is the main concern but I've never had problems even through the blizzard we had a few couple years ago. In fact, I was probably one of two cars I saw on the road on my way to the gym.

Weight distribution is not an issue on this car at all because of the 50/50 split. Some people put weight in the trunk, I've never needed it.

rsingl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD

I have had my 08 CTS through 2 IL winters and it did very well in the snow and handles better than the FWD Olds Aurora it replaced. For heavy snow I have a full size 4WD diesel pickup but for 4 inches or less the CTS is fine; I think I used the truck 3 or 4 times due to blowing/drifting snow resulting in large drifts in the country. The CTS has good front to back weight balance and has no problem starting and going up a moderate slope with snow/ice. For heavy snow, the ground clearance is a problem but that is also true for the AWD version and most other cars. Mine has the all season tires.

Not all RWD cars are terrible in the snow. For comparison, I had an '85 Monte Carlo SS (RWD) when I moved here and it took some finesse to get it out of a slightly inclined parking space with snow.

Argent55 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond, RWD/DI/FE2/Ultraview/NAV/Polished wheels

Living in the "snow capital" of the world I can reiterate some of the suggestions already made:

1. Get a set of snow tires, especially for those days when the roads don't get plowed/salted/sanded quickly enough.

2. You can put the car in second gear manually for an easier start from a stop.

3. Sometimes turning OFF the traction control can help; if you have the F2 suspension, a limited slip differential is included which can help. It's my impression that turning off the traction control can let the differential do it's thing.

The most trouble I've had is in deep snow. The car is too low too be able to push the snow out of the way and there is too much power to allow the tires to get a good grip. Fortunately, around here, that only happens once or twice a winter.

Spyke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT

if the 2010 rwd is not that much different than my 05 rwd, put a good set of winter tires like Blizzak and you won't have any problem with it.

I live in montreal, Quebec and I travel a lot upnorth like in Abitibi-Temiscamingue and there's a lot of snow. I thought it would be a pain in the a.. to drive with an rwd vehicule first but at my surprise, it wasn't very different than a fwd car except when on plain ice!

Here, 75% of police cars are rwd and they don't have problem and me neither! I drive about 30-45k miles per year so I know a lot about snow and my CTS.

On the very plus side: you can do a 180 degrees turn like that!

Usually I put 1 to 2 bags of 0 3/4" rocks in the trunk that represents about 30 to 60 kg (1 bag=30 kg). I was stuck once with the car because I thought I was wiser than my gf's car. but thats it!

You won't regret a rwd in the snow with very good winter tires.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

I drove my CTS-V (556 hp, RWD) through the snow this past winter as it's my daily driver. With snow tires, no issues except when starting out on hills.

For the worst days, I have my wife's Pilot. Even with that as backup, I never had to use it during this awful last winter here in Cleveland. If I can do that in my very powerful RWD sports sedan, anyone can.

I advise common sense: If you live in a non-hilly area where the streets are plowed in relatively short order (e.g. Cleveland area), you will be just fine. If you live in BFE and there's no snow plow service, or if you live in Pittsburgh (e.g. lots of hills), then buy a CTS4 and put snow tires on that for the winter.
    EVH5150 likes this.

MichiganMan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS/DFI

Tires, tires, and tires. Michelin Pilot Sports ≠ snow tires. That and the limited clearance are the only real issues. We've had our RWD CTS for 2 Michigan winters and have never gotten stuck.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I went through two 3" snowfalls, and several other smaller ones with the CTS4. I thought it did great. Just as well as my Pilot. There were a few instances where the rear got momentarily loose before it started sending all the power to the front, but it quickly corrected itself with the help of stability control.

As for Blizzaks, they are incredible in snow. The problem with them is they wear faster on pavement than F1 tires on a CTS-V. so you either have to keep swapping them off during the winter, or replace them every year if you drive alot of miles. The WS are lousy on anything but snow and horrible above 45º. The LM's do well off snow, but they are not even close to the WS on snow and ice.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Buy an AWD, the money you save not buying CTS4 you will spend on snow tires, extra wheels and taking the snows on/off etc. That all costs money and time. Around here the few shops left that change tires, charge upwards of $20 a tire to take on/off.

Also you will likely see better trade in value with AWD. Up here in da UP of Michigan you won't find a rwd CTS anywhere because no one wants them. If you never drove a rear wheel drive car in the winter, you will by on pins and needles driving the CTS on snow IMO.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Where you live plays a big factor. Around here in Chicagoland, they plow the streets so fast, even a heavy snowfall will only leave the roads covered for a few hours at the most. If you can leave later or earlier, you can almost avoid the snow completely during the winter. The few times I hit it last winter was mostly because I wanted to test out the CTS4. The winter before when I had my 06 CTS, I think I pretty much escaped snow driving the whole winter.

In more outlying areas, I know days can go by before the snow is all removed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.