Looking at 10 CTS rear wheel drive-any good in snow? Thanks - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Looking at 10 CTS rear wheel drive-any good in snow? Thanks in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Don't do it--you'll be sorry NO rear wheel drive car performs well in snow You need front or all-wheel traction...
    Alpet is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 Cadillac CTS4 Coupe, crystal red, 18", chrome grill, tint

Re: Looking at 10 CTS rear wheel drive-any good in snow? Thanks

Don't do it--you'll be sorry
    NO rear wheel drive car performs well in snow

You need front or all-wheel traction

nguyendot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 Black CTS 3.6DI D3 intake, Magnaflow Exhaust w/xpipe

My RWD 09 CTS 3.6DI failed to deliver in the last snow storm. Given, we had like 15" of snow fall on a state that rarely sees 1"... but then again everyone got stuck. I got stuck in a snow mound and my girlfriend had to push the car out after 45 minutes of digging. Snow tires or not, nothing short of an outside force was getting is out of the snow drifts that occupied the entire street we were on.

With 3" or less of snow the car isn't horrible, but nothing compared to say my friend's FJ cruiser sitting on 40" tires...

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alpet View Post
    Don't do it--you'll be sorry
    NO rear wheel drive car performs well in snow

You need front or all-wheel traction
    that's a pretty general statement. There are way too many variables to unequivocally say that NO rear wheel drive car can do well in the snow. My 79 Olds did very well in the snow. BUT, it had alot of weight on the rear axle, high profile tires, and posi-traction. It did alot better in the snow than my next car, a 92 Saturn (which was front drive btw) did.

To be fair to RWD cars; I think for someone who understands vehicle dynamics, how to correctly compensate for oversteer and understeer, and how to keep out of trouble in the first place, a RWD car can do just as well as front drive.

But for most drivers, I would agree that front drive is much safer in inclement weather.

As for all-wheel drive, it only helps in one situation: gaining momentum in a straight line, i.e. starting from a stop. It does not help cornering or braking one iota. Worse, modern all-wheel drive cars, with the way they transfer power around, can get sideways easier than strictly front-drive cars.

TGoss is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 2006 CTS and I absolutely love it, but it sits in the garage when it snows. There can be an inch of snow in the driveway and it gets stuck. On the highway it almost feels like you're going to just float off the road. A little too scary for me...I see others suggest snow tires. Thats even more upkeep and expense. Cadillac is a little pricey when you have to replace parts etc. Good luck!

papanots is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS

I have Blizzaks on my '10 CTS. personally, I love driving in the snow! My first driving test 26 years ago was in the snow and the instructor was astonished at how well I controlled the car...lol. SO I guess I was born with a rear end that can feel what the car is doing...lol.

I always keep the traction control on unless I need to get out of a parking spot whereby I need the wells to spin. I have never had any problems with the car/tire combo. Blizzaks are great and so are Nokian. The thing I watch out the most for is putting on the power too soon on a turn or curve. The front wheels don't bite a well which is normal. Overall, IMO, the car is great in the snow given its weight, RWD config and height clearance. Hope this helps!

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Based on my experience with 09 CTS, I think the AWD system in this car was tuned more for performance. It did not do very well in the snow for me. I am sure a big part of that was the Michelin tires that came with the car. But even with the lousy tires, it should have done better.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

I have new 17" studded tires on my AWD and it is a beast, turns in well and rotates great with steady throttle. The key for me has been don't lift, when I lift I get push as expected.

EVH5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual

My RWD coupe has been great in the snow and I mean we get a lot of snow here!

Limited slip rear diff definitely helps as both rear tires can get traction. With my car I benefit from a manual trans so when I start spinning I quickly grab second or third gear and easily lug my way through deeper snow. I actually made it through snow that came up past the bottom of may car and that is with Yokohama all seasons which are kind of a shitty tire in my opinion.

For the OP, I say definitely purchase the RWD you wont be disappointed.

Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan black/black

where do you get studded tires? I thought they were banned 40yrs ago.
    thanks, douglas

Paul_Rider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Sedan - White Diamond, Luxury I&II

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    As for all-wheel drive, it only helps in one situation: gaining momentum in a straight line, i.e. starting from a stop. It does not help cornering or braking one iota. Worse, modern all-wheel drive cars, with the way they transfer power around, can get sideways easier than strictly front-drive cars.
    Well said, and all too often ignored by many ... especially salesmen!

The first real question that should be asked is: Is the DRiVER any good in the snow.

Want some anecdotal proof? Just look in median/ditch during the next snow/ice storm and you will see mostly vehicles with 4 or all wheel drive. I've had my RWD for 4 winters and with my set of reasonable winter tires, have had no problems. I do a lot more highway driving than stop & go. " gaining momentum in a straight line, i.e. starting from a stop" occurs infrequently enough to make it a "marginal" option at best.

I understand that even police pursuit cars are usually RWD!

mkelch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, Metallic Black Ice
    My 2008 CTS rwd sedan was not good in snow or slippery conditions with the stock Michelin all season tires. The car felt too light to get good traction. Seemed to float on the road.
    What a change, then, when I bought my CTS 2011 rwd Coupe! HUGE improvement in winter traction, with the stock Michelins. Have to think this is due to the larger tires on the rear as well as the wider stance at the rear, plus the weight of the car.
    Comparing both cars, and having owned both, the coupe was far superior in winter conditions. I still have it, in Canada, coming up on 60,000 miles.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Studded tires are legal in most provinces and states, I stud my own but you can buy them studded from any tire shop including tirerack.com.

Once you go studded you will never go back.

Scott2012 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V & 2010 AWD CTS

Buy an AWD and be done with it. I have a cts-v and don't drive it in the winter. I don't want the hassle of changing tires, issues that can occur with rear wheel drive lower profile cars in severe snow situations.
    If I was going to pick a RWD, it would be a Cts-v so I could justify it year round.
    I love my AWD cts and it's almost as good as my tahoe in snow. Plus the handling and ride is exceptional.
    From a practical standpoint... AWD is a better net for Year round 4 season driving

----------

(Cts-v to justify using year round for the "fun factor" to be clear)

Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan black/black

thinking about this, Linda's CTS is AWD, it's snowing here right now and she was out in it last nite
    and said the car handled different in a good way, she said it felt surefooted and she felt more confident.
    But here's where I would challenge AWD vs RWD; AWD costs more, AWD could be problematic, AWD
    suffers gas mileage. And around my neck of the woods, it snows and next day you would never know it,
    they do a great job of removal and salting. And if we don't have to be out in it, which we don't, it was
    her choice last nite she could have stayed home. I don't know, I think not having AWD would not be a
    deal breaker for me, I can live without it. Now if I was still working and HAD to go regardless, that's
    a different story. thanks, douglas

Tri-SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 CTS-V

I've had my RWD sedan for 4 winters now and haven't had any issues with it. Good tires are so important though. I've been driving RWD vehicles for all of my driving life so maybe that's why. I will say that for driving in deep snow AWD or 4WD vehicles can power through it better. For the low percentage of days with heavy snow, I will take the RWD for the remaining clear road days and the other 3 seasons.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.