Radio stays on when exiting
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Radio stays on when exiting in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Well, something new has happened. When I am listening to the radio and turn the motor off, open the door, ...
    CBA
    CBA is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Radio stays on when exiting

Well, something new has happened. When I am listening to the radio and turn the motor off, open the door, the radio continues to play. I have to open and close the door up to three times to make the radio turn off.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

Re: Radio stays on when exiting

When the radio is on and your driver door is open, does the Information Center mention anything about an ajar door? (ie opening the driver door it should say "Driver Door Open".) If it does not say this while the radio is still on and door is open, it sounds like the door ajar switch is not functioning properly. The stereo will remain on if a door other than the driver door is open under the Retained Accessory Power feature.

CBA

I am not sure, I will check it this afternoon.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Quote Originally Posted by CBA View Post
    ...When I am listening to the radio and turn the motor off, open the door, the radio continues to play. I have to open and close the door up to three times to make the radio turn off.
    My '08 CTS has experienced multiple electrical glitches, but never the one you described. Hope your dealer will find a quick and permanent fix for you.

Quote Originally Posted by somedaycts View Post
    When the radio is on and your driver door is open, does the Information Center mention anything about an ajar door? (ie opening the driver door it should say "Driver Door Open".) If it does not say this while the radio is still on and door is open, it sounds like the door ajar switch is not functioning properly. The stereo will remain on if a door other than the driver door is open under the Retained Accessory Power feature.
    DIC "Driver Door Open" message displays only when ignition switch is ON
    and auto transmission shift lever in "R," "N," or "D" positions.

Retained Accessory Power (RAP)
    These vehicle accessories can be used for up to
    10 minutes after the engine is turned off:
    Audio System
    Power Windows
    Sunroof

Power to the audio system will work up to 10 minutes or
    until the driver’s door is opened. Power to the windows
    or sunroof will work up to 10 minutes or until any
    door is opened. For an additional 10 minutes of
    operation, close all the doors and turn the key to
    ON/RUN and then back to LOCK/OFF.

Quote Originally Posted by 928S View Post
    DIC "Driver Door Open" message displays only when ignition switch is ON
    and auto transmission shift lever in "R," "N," or "D" positions.
    I appreciate the clarification on this, 928S.

Sorry to lead you astray on my previous post CBA, I would correct myself but I thought of an easier test that utilizes the Retained Accessory Power feature. Next time your stereo is still on after turning the car off and opening the driver door, try rolling the windows down. If you can roll the windows down, the car still thinks the door is shut. If you cannot, this basically eliminates a failing door ajar switch and throws my hypothesis out the window. The ajar switch was one of the functions I designed/tested when I was an engineer for a door latch supplier.

I do believe the Tech 2 device GM dealers use for diagnosing problems can test ajar switch functionality, and a dealer obviously should be able to fix this problem.

Hope this helps and be sure to let us know the outcome.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

I would have to suggest having your vehicle checked by a dealer. Like somedaycts has been saying they have the tools and the know how to fix your vehicle. You should still be within your bumper to bumper warranty and thus you should be covered.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

CBA

Took My car in Monday, They reflashed the radio. Service tech said it normally takes about 15 minutes but took mine about an hour to reflash. It is working properly now. Service tech said if it did it again they would have to replace the radio. I would have thought it was a switch, I guess it is a good thing I don't work on them.

CBA

WELL the fix lasted TWO days. Wednesday it did it again. Called the dealer they are ordering a new radio. I Do Not see how it can be the radio.

Definitely not what I expected based on the symptoms. Let's hope the new radio can solve the problem.

CBA

Not what I would have expected either. My wife did note that this started the day after we had On-Star renewed. Coincidence I am sure.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

It seems that the radio is either receiving power or it isn't. I don't understand how a radio can draw power when there is essentially no power once the door opens. It will be interesting to see if a new radio actually fixes the problem but I think the symptoms point elsewhere.
    Also, be sure to check the new radio carefully both for functionality and appearance. Generally a "new" radio is a previously used radio that has been repaired to factory specs. Likewise your radio will be repaired and wind up in someone else's car.

CBA

The radio is getting power when it shouldnt. I tried to open the windows to see if it was a switch. The windows will not operat but the radio continues to play for 10 minutes before it shuts off. I am just glad it finally shuts off after 10 minutes or I would have a dead battery every time I drive it. Still haven't heard back from the dealer.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

I apologize that this issue has occured once again. If I could I would like to direct message you about this. Thank you for your time and cooperation.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

CBA

Took my car in yesterday, They hooked up the hand held computor to read the Radio serial number, got with the parts department to order a new one. The Radio is on "Restriction". I asked what that means, apparently it means they have little or no stock of these parts. SO that means they don't know how long it will take to get one, and still do not know if it will fix the problem. The Tech said he might have to call tech service. I don't understand, if he does not know what is wrong then why don't they call Tech service and get more than one person working on this to fix it?????

CBA

Got a call from the dealer yesterday, They finally talked to someone within GM about the radio being on "Restriction" Seems the 07 or 06 models had a similar problem and they reprogram the firmware to fix those models and GM suggested they do that first. So now the radio has been reflashed and the firmware has been reprogramed. I drove it home and it turned off as it should. Now lets see if it lasts more than two days as before. So this is four trips to the dealer for one item.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.