iPod volume?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, iPod volume? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Why the very low volume when I plug in my iPod Nano (gen. 5)? I'm using the GM provided cable ...
    Mark JD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crystal Red CTS Coupe; 2011 Black Ice SRX

iPod volume?

Why the very low volume when I plug in my iPod Nano (gen. 5)?
    I'm using the GM provided cable and the display shows up on the nav. screen correctly but I have to crank the volume knob almost all the way up to hear anything. Plus, when I do, the sound is really crappy (tinny).
    Thanks,
    Mark D.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Northern SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6

Re: iPod volume?

I do not have the same problem with my 5th gen 80GB iPod (now known as the Classic) in my nav-equipped '10 and didn't have it in my nav-equipped '09 either. Can you try somebody else's iPod to help isolate the problem?

ultimate_ed is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

While I wouldn't think it would affect the volume out of the dock connector - have you checked your Nano's "max volume" setting? On these newer Ipods you can set a limit in one of the menus such that, even if you crank the volume all the way on the main wheel, internally it limits the output. Supposed to be so you don't blow your ears out over time.

It's possible that it could be applied to the dock output, forcing you to crank the CTS amplifier to compensate.

Now, I will say that I do have to crank the volume higher when I'm listening to the Ipod compared to XM or normal radio (especially for audiobooks), but never to the point where I've felt it was degrading the audio quality.

carnut108 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

It also depends on the line level you recorded your mp3 at on the ipod. I don't have an Ipod so I don't know if they have a built in VU meter or not but the closer to maximum ( red line) the louder the play back.

Steadfastrock is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

According to the manual, only first through third generation ipod nanos are proven to work. Having said that, I have tired this also with 5gen nano. The system ignores the volume set in the ipod because it takes a line out feed. I went to a new ipot tough because my nano would lose communication and the music would play through the internal speaker in the nano. The touch works much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Steadfastrock View Post
    According to the manual, only first through third generation ipod nanos are proven to work. Having said that, I have tired this also with 5gen nano. The system ignores the volume set in the ipod because it takes a line out feed. I went to a new ipot tough because my nano would lose communication and the music would play through the internal speaker in the nano. The touch works much better.
    I think you nailed it with this reply. 5th gen. nano may be the problem. I tried all the iPod volume settings and still crap!

Northern SRX has no problem with 5th gen classic ipod..... now I'm really confused.

Maybe a call to Cadillac?

Anyone know if there is a Cadillac Tech Help Line?
    let me know..... thanks!

elo_mcfeelo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS RWD with all options

I used to use iPod classic in my CTS and I never had any problem with volume; now I'm using 4GB USB drive instead and it's working as good as the iPod classic (it can hold up to 700 songs), put in mind that the USB drive is at fraction of the iPod price. I have a better use for the iPod than just leave it plugged in all the time in my car.

Steadfastrock is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by elo_mcfeelo View Post
    I used to use iPod classic in my CTS and I never had any problem with volume; now I'm using 4GB USB drive instead and it's working as good as the iPod classic (it can hold up to 700 songs), put in mind that the USB drive is at fraction of the iPod price. I have a better use for the iPod than just leave it plugged in all the time in my car.
    I agree that the USB thumb drive works just fine for music. Where the ipod shines, however, is for long recordings that I listen to such as blogs and recorded talk radio. With the ipod you fast forward much faster through comercials and the ipod will remember where you are when you unplug to take it to a different vehicle, or for your outdoor activity. Plug it back in and you are where you stoped before. works great.

elo_mcfeelo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS RWD with all options

Steadfastrock
    I just use the USB thumb for simplicity, just for music, no radio recording or anything else, so I don't have to plug and unplug the iPod daily whenever I go to the gym. About once a month I upgrade my songs in my computer's iTunes file and synchronize it with both the USB and the iPod.

Quote Originally Posted by elo_mcfeelo View Post
    Steadfastrock
    I just use the USB thumb for simplicity, just for music, no radio recording or anything else, so I don't have to plug and unplug the iPod daily whenever I go to the gym. About once a month I upgrade my songs in my computer's iTunes file and synchronize it with both the USB and the iPod.
    ELO....
    Thanks for the tip. When I used the USB stick to put my songs in the CTS all went just fine!
    The volume was perfect and I was able to load the songs from the stick to the HDD without any problem. Tried to download the songs from the iPod and that's a no-no..... another Apple restriction!
    Thanks again,
    MjD

mgm2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

My ipod touch works fine, but the music volume is considerably lower vs. playing MP3's. It's about 1/2 the volume.

MP3's just rattle the rear view mirror (when it's turned up).

What is the problem?

Also, any idea how to copy from your iPod to the 40GB internal hard drive, or is this a big 'no no' and blocked from apple?

BreakingThrough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Thunder Gray '08 CTS 3.6 FE2 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by mgm2003 View Post
    My ipod touch works fine, but the music volume is considerably lower vs. playing MP3's. It's about 1/2 the volume.

MP3's just rattle the rear view mirror (when it's turned up).

What is the problem?

Also, any idea how to copy from your iPod to the 40GB internal hard drive, or is this a big 'no no' and blocked from apple?
    Re: the MP3's rattling the rear view mirror, I had a similar problem. CD's would also rattle this area. (BTW, for me, it wasn't the rear-view mirror itself, but rather seemed to be the overhead console; specifically the panel containing the Homelink buttons rattling against the surrounding plastic). For me, what solved the problem was going in to the "CONFIG" menu for CD and HDD modes and adjusting the playback mode from "Normal" to "Centerpoint." I don't know a whole lot about audio systems, but it seemed to shift the concentration of audio playback to the center of the car. Overall, digital music sounds much better this way, and it took care of the front overhead rattle. Note that "Centerpoint" can't be selected for AM/FM playback or Front AUX playback.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.