Smell in Trunk..... water leak?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Smell in Trunk..... water leak? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hey Everyone, We've had a couple mild days and I've noticed a mildew smell inside the trunk. My car has ...
    Gramzster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, 2007 DTS, 2011 DTS

Smell in Trunk..... water leak?

Hey Everyone,

We've had a couple mild days and I've noticed a mildew smell inside the trunk. My car has the sunroof, however I wasn't able to find any water in the trunk or wet panels. I also checked the liner that covers the trunk lid and it seems to be dry.

I'll mention this to the dealership the next time my car is in for service, however I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their vehicle.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Gbreaken is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI

Re: Smell in Trunk..... water leak?

I had water in my trunk in the spare tire well. So I suggest checking there. There is a drain tube that runs on the right side of the trunk that is supposed to exit through the right wheel well. My tube had popped out and was just pouring rainwater down the right side which then ran into the spare tire well. Most of the other panels were dry. You should be able to check the tube if you pull liner away from around the battery and look at the right wheel well facing the battery.

There may be a drain on the left side as well but didn't pull that side so I cannot confirm.

Hope this helps.

-Greg

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Have you taken a bath recently. If I don't take a bath at least every year, my car smell pretty bad too--even after spending only 1 or 2 minutes in it. I have check out all carpeting, looked under seats, and I still cannot find the source of smell.

signed
    IthinkIsmellcute@yahoo.com

SoCalCTS08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6DI

We recently had really bad rain storms here in L.A. and I noticed water leaking in to the trunk through the handle on the inside of the trunk lid. I can see over time this might give a mildew smell. Jusy my 2 cents

- Brad

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

My 06 had a leak that I finally found was coming from where the spoiler mounted to the trunk. I re-sealed everything and never had a problem. The spoiler on my 08 was super sealed from the start. After find and fix the leak buy a canister of "Damp Rid" you can usually find it in the supermarket or hardware super store. It comes is a container about the size of a butter tub. Put it in the trunk for a couple of ds and it will take the dampness and musty smell out.

GMFAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium w/20" chrome

Quote Originally Posted by Gramzster View Post
    Hey Everyone,

We've had a couple mild days and I've noticed a mildew smell inside the trunk. My car has the sunroof, however I wasn't able to find any water in the trunk or wet panels. I also checked the liner that covers the trunk lid and it seems to be dry.

I'll mention this to the dealership the next time my car is in for service, however I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their vehicle.

Thanks
    Have your dealer put the car up on the rack to inspect the under carriage for water entry, too. Also, the suggestion to look in the tire well is a good idea.
    Good Luck and let us know if they found anything.

jmmyk123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts

I have an 08 cts and there is a recall for this exact problem, i brought mine to the dealer and they fixed it in a day.

TheShadow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS Black Raven/Ebony 3.6DI FE2 6-speed manual

Same thing happened to me - there is a tube on both the left and right sides for draining both sides of the sun roof. A couple of pictures from an old thread of mine:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post1869333

The following thread covers trunk panel removal instructions as well if you want to check it out on your own:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...e-amp-nav.html

Quote Originally Posted by Gbreaken View Post
    I had water in my trunk in the spare tire well. So I suggest checking there. There is a drain tube that runs on the right side of the trunk that is supposed to exit through the right wheel well. My tube had popped out and was just pouring rainwater down the right side which then ran into the spare tire well. Most of the other panels were dry. You should be able to check the tube if you pull liner away from around the battery and look at the right wheel well facing the battery.

There may be a drain on the left side as well but didn't pull that side so I cannot confirm.

Hope this helps.

-Greg

Gramzster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, 2007 DTS, 2011 DTS

Thanks a lot for the info.

I don't know if I'll get a chance to remove the panels, however I checked the spare wheel and it's dry underneath.

Unfortunately it has turned to sub-zero temperatures the past few days so even if there was water, it'd probably once again be ice by now.

I need to get my car serviced in a few days, so I may give them a call tomorrow to get it booked.

gm250061 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts

I have had two major water leaks with my 08. One was in the trunk. When I opened the trunk water would drain out from around the lining of the trunk lid. I had to get Cadillac involved to get that fixed. First time the Service Rep told me it was a design flaw and I would have to live with it. They finally determined that it was coming in from around the drivers side tail light. I didn't really see how, but it has not leaked since they repaired it. The other leak was from the sun roof. The drain runs down the passenger windshield post and when it got clogged it dumped gallons of water through the glove box into the passenger floor board. I made three trips to the dealer to get that fixed. All is dry now, but it has left a bad taste for GM quality and service.

bobelew is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I noticed a leak in my trunk as well. I took it to the dealer and they found it was leaking in two different aeas. One was through the rear license plate and secondly through the rear brake light which runs across the top of the trunk.

87stocker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 cts4 loaded

I just saw this thread because of my problem. I just wanted to say thanks and that it was my water drain tube disconnected. Look in your battery compartment and you will see a green tube. If you see an end to that tube look at your wheel well there will be a black grommet. Push the tube back in and all problems will disappear.

Cheers

CTS4MATION is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4

My trunk stinks and has a water spot. I noticed that the trunk lid itself (atleast on mine) holds the water.......... Even if it hasnt rained for a week and I open the trunk it still spews water out.

Bob Shaw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by 87stocker View Post
    I just saw this thread because of my problem. I just wanted to say thanks and that it was my water drain tube disconnected. Look in your battery compartment and you will see a green tube. If you see an end to that tube look at your wheel well there will be a black grommet. Push the tube back in and all problems will disappear.

Cheers
    I think I'd put a tie-wrap on that thing. Before you put the line back on, did you check to make sure the line was clear? It's possible that, just like air conditioning condensate lines, you could develop an algae plug.

karstman7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts di

this thread is GREAT!!! I've had a wet smelly trunk that was at dealership 4x for evaluation - they replaced 3rd tail light and siliconed wiring access - no change - i'll have to check these tubes- hate my trunk and don't use it due to stench.....crappy dealer service IMO and now no longer under warranty...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.