RKE key fob How does it open?
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, RKE key fob How does it open? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I would like to replace the battery in my remote and I consulted the owners manual to find that they ...
  1. #1
    Robs CTS AWD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD 3.6l Di
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    50
    Posts
    6

    Cool RKE key fob How does it open?

    I would like to replace the battery in my remote and I consulted the owners manual to find that they aren't very specific on the proceedure. I really want to avoid damaging the remote....could someone enlighten me? Thanks

    Rob

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    dkozloski's Avatar
    dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak
    Age
    75
    Posts
    26,856

    Re: RKE key fob How does it open?

    I used a medium sized flat blade screwdriver in the slot provided to pry the fob apart. It takes quite a little force. To get it back together I used a pair of smooth jawed waterpump pliers around the edges.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!


  4. #3
    DMill's Avatar
    DMill is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 1SB - Crystal Red w/Light Titanium
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, WA - USA
    Posts
    248

    Question Still not clear on where to pry ...

    Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    I used a medium sized flat blade screwdriver in the slot provided to pry the fob apart. It takes quite a little force. To get it back together I used a pair of smooth jawed water pump pliers around the edges.
    OK ... Like Rob, it's also time for a new battery in our CTS RKE fob and I'm still not clear on what "slot" your referring to. I agree that the owner's manual is crap. It says to insert a thin object into the "notch" located above the metal base. What notch?

    dkozloski - From what you said ... Do you mean the slot in the metal cap (aka "metal base")? ... or a slot (aka "notch") somewhere on the plastic case? ... of which I see none.

    A photo showing exactly where you pry would sure be appreciated.

  5. #4
    DMill's Avatar
    DMill is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 1SB - Crystal Red w/Light Titanium
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, WA - USA
    Posts
    248

    Lightbulb Photo HELP ...

    OK ... I'm answering my own question, since I "fingered" it out on just WHERE to pry the RKE key fob apart without damaging its case ...
    * Pull the metal base (as the owner's manual calls it) off of the fob.
    * With the buttons pointing up and the open end facing you, you'll see on the right side of the opened end a raised notch on the upper half of the case.
    * Insert your medium sized screwdriver into this notch (or slot).
    * Gently twist to begin the case separation, then work your way around the rest of the case to completely separate the two halves. That's it!

    Here's a photo that should show what I was trying to explain above ...



    You're welcome!

  6. #5
    zen
    zen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS CPE
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    177

    Re: RKE key fob How does it open?

    I don't believe that is the intended notch. If you look at the front of the fob with the metal end to the top, you will notice a "small" notch in the left side even with the trunk button.

  7. #6
    DMill's Avatar
    DMill is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 1SB - Crystal Red w/Light Titanium
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, WA - USA
    Posts
    248

    Must have a different fob ...

    Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    I don't believe that is the intended notch. If you look at the front of the fob with the metal end to the top, you will notice a "small" notch in the left side even with the trunk button.
    I agree, zen, it's not the intended pry notch, but it was the only one on my RKE fob that I found where I could gently pry the case apart.

    Going by your good description of where there actually IS a notch between the case halves, there still is NONE on my fob ... Here's a photo:


    Would you have a similar photo showing the notch that you described?
    I still think that you must have a different (older or non-RKE) key fob.

  8. #7
    zen
    zen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS CPE
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    177

    Re: RKE key fob How does it open?

    I have a fob for a 2011 CTS. However, look very closely, it is hard to see. It would be about 1/4 inch (on your photo) to the left of the white arrow. It isn't wider than the seam but is deeper. It is about 3/16 inch wide.

  9. #8
    DMill's Avatar
    DMill is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 1SB - Crystal Red w/Light Titanium
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, WA - USA
    Posts
    248

    Hmmmmm ...

    Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    I have a fob for a 2011 CTS. However, look very closely, it is hard to see. It would be about 1/4 inch (on your photo) to the left of the white arrow. It isn't wider than the seam but is deeper. It is about 3/16 inch wide.
    If it isn't any wider than the seam, then HOW did you discover it? ... since you cannot see the depth difference. I still like my choice for popping open the case.

  10. #9
    zen
    zen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS CPE
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    177

    Re: RKE key fob How does it open?

    I am able to see the depth in mine.

  11. #10
    elo_mcfeelo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS RWD with all options
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    178

    Re: RKE key fob How does it open?

    I changed my 08 CTS fob 1 battery after 3 years.
    My car was one year old when I started to receive "key not detected" messages about 50% of the times. The problem was my cell phone charger in the center console interfering with the remote signal; once I removed it and put it in the trunk the problem was solved.
    According to the manual under Keyless Access System: “Check to make sure that an electronic device such as a cellular phone or lap top computer is not causing interference.”

    Sorry! The above answer wasn't meant for this thread.

  12. #11
    BlGHUMMER's Avatar
    BlGHUMMER is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS4 3.6 D.I. Hot Lava Edition
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas / Brooklyn
    Posts
    112

    Re: RKE key fob How does it open?

    hey guys just replaced my battery in my key fob. Had the camera handy so I posted a picture hopefully might help get a better idea. I have a 2008, I noticed the battery starting to go for a couple of weeks. I'd notice sometimes when I would start the car, the message would pop up that said remote not detected restart not allowed or something similar. I would shut the car off and turn it back on and it would go away. A few other times I'd approach the car with the fob in the pocket and pull the handle like normal and it would not open, I had to take the fob out of the pocket and click the unlock button to get in. Same thing with the trunk. Finally it went the buttons would not work either. I guess if you start noticing these issues probably time to replace your battery. I was using my second set for about a week finally had a chance to change the battery


    I pulled out a Panasonic CR 2032 3V which is the original battery that came with the remote (2008 CTS). I replaced it with a Duracell 2032. Everything works fine. Thanks to this thread and another older thread, I knew which battery to buy today. When trying to open it up just be careful and have patients. It will open. Hope this helps.




  13. #12
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,709

    Re: RKE key fob How does it open?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlGHUMMER View Post
    hey guys just replaced my battery in my key fob. Had the camera handy so I posted a picture hopefully might help get a better idea. I have a 2008, I noticed the battery starting to go for a couple of weeks. I'd notice sometimes when I would start the car, the message would pop up that said remote not detected restart not allowed or something similar. I would shut the car off and turn it back on and it would go away. A few other times I'd approach the car with the fob in the pocket and pull the handle like normal and it would not open, I had to take the fob out of the pocket and click the unlock button to get in. Same thing with the trunk. Finally it went the buttons would not work either. I guess if you start noticing these issues probably time to replace your battery. I was using my second set for about a week finally had a chance to change the battery


    I pulled out a Panasonic CR 2032 3V which is the original battery that came with the remote (2008 CTS). I replaced it with a Duracell 2032. Everything works fine. Thanks to this thread and another older thread, I knew which battery to buy today. When trying to open it up just be careful and have patients. It will open. Hope this helps.





    Hello BlGHUMMER,

    Thanks for posting pictures and your experience! I hope that it helps other members of the forum. I’m happy to hear that your key fob is working fine now. Have a great night!

    Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

  14. #13
    al williams is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 coupe-- manual shift-- 1 of 65 built.
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    59

    Re: RKE key fob How does it open?

    I just changed my '11 battery a couple of days ago because the door did not open for me a couple of times (coupe with push-button door latches). I never saw a DIC message or had trouble starting. Like others, I was unable to find a "notch" in the fob as mentioned in the manual. I slid a sharp knife blade into the groove around the fob, and the fob popped right open.

    The old battery won't fall out. You need to help it with a small screwdriver (there is a notch provided for that). I closed the fob by simply squeezing by hand.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting