Remote Vehicle Start (Factory) again...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Remote Vehicle Start (Factory) again... in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hey guys, I know this has been brought up many times before... BUT... I wanted to see if anyone has ...
    beanjapan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Remote Vehicle Start (Factory) again...

Hey guys, I know this has been brought up many times before... BUT... I wanted to see if anyone has tried this or has access to some CTS remotes and can try this.

There doesn't seem to be any specific hardware tied to remote start. I was wondering if anyone had tried taking a key fob that has RVS, and programming it into a regular keyless entry vehicle w/o RVS, and tried to see if that would work.

Has anyone out there had any luck, or know how to turn on the remove vehicle start function, with a regular remote keyless entry setup? Does the BCM have to have specific software? A part of me believes so, as my car has RKE and no option on the DIC for turning on/off remote start.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Re: Remote Vehicle Start (Factory) again...

The only thing the manual suggests is that there are two distinctly different methods for pairing the remotes to the car. Each dependent on whether the car has remote start.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I am confused as to what you trying to accomplish here. If you just trying to disable remote start, you can go into vehicle personalization in your DIC, and disable remote start.

If you are trying to make it so valets will not be able to use it, I highly doubt they are going to go into your DIC and figure out how to enable it.

matthayes3741 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 14 CTSV Wagon (past 13 SRX-4 Prem, 08 CTS, 05 Escalade EXT)

He wants to buy a key fob that has RVS and try to program it in a car without it as he believes there is no physical hardware required for remote vehicle start.

His idea, not mine. I highly doubt this would work.

ah, I see. I just reread his post. I think there may be additional hardware, or different hardware. I think the range of the remote is greater for cars with remote start.

But who knows. Even if there is not additional hardware, you would probably have to reprogram the ECM.

I say give a shot and see what happens. The worst that could happen is you bought an extra remote for nothing.

I'm going to try and dig up more information through the holidays. I have access to the service catalog, and so far, it looks like the RVS and RKE modules are identical. They send out the vehicle crank command on the GMLAN bus.

My guess is that although the RKE/RVS are the same and can handle both remotes, but the ECM needs to be programed and have RVS enabled (software) to execute remote starts

B&H
    B&H is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Newbie here. I am trying to do the same thing on my wife's 08 CTS. I really don't want to install an aftermarket remote starter, because they are so intrusive.

Anyway, the research I've done suggests that Cadillac used 2 different RVS systems on the 2008's. One is integrated with a passive keyless entry system, and the other is integrated with an active keyless entry system.

As far as I can tell (I own an independent auto repair shop and have access to an information system), the active keyless system doesn't require any more hardware to make the vehicle "remote start ready", with the exception of a new key fob. I don't know this for a fact, but the only differences I can see in the wiring diagrams would be the passive system uses additional antennas and wiring in the front door handles and center console.

On the active systems, the magic is in the RCDLR (remote control door lock receiver). There are 4 different ones for 2008 CTS's. I am trying to confirm that if you were to install the one that GM would have installed if it came with RVS, and program it, it would work.

The RCDLR receives a signal from a keyless entry transmitter requesting a RVS. A message is then sent to the BCM which determines if a crank request message will be sent to the ECM. If enable criteria are met (such as hood closed, doors closed and locked, etc), then the BCM sends a message via serial data to the ECM to request a RVS. If the ECM does not receive a valid RVS message, it will not attempt to start the engine. And then when the ECM is in RVS mode, it will suspend engine operation if any of 10 (irrelevent for this discussion) conditions occur.

I don't know if the ECM or BCM will need to be reprogrammed or not, but I would suspect they will have to be too. You will need a TIS subscription and a Tech 2 to do this, which I have, or a J2534 pass-thru device and a subscription.

I don't know if a Cadillac dealer would even entertain the idea of trying this on someone's vehicle, as Cadillac doesn't sell this as a packaged service done at the dealership level.

I will update this post if I make any headway after the holidays.

SoCalCTS08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6DI

Remote start with 08 CTS?

are all 08 CTS'S equipped with remote start? My CTS came with key FOB 1. There is no remote start button on it. If I were to purchase FOB 2 with remote start button would it be possible to simply program the 2nd key with a functioning remote start? tahnks in advance.

fwiw, I was going through my DIC tonight, setting some stuff, and noticed the option in the personalization menus for disabling remote start is not there (along with memory seat recall which is also missing.) According to the owner's manual, that menu entry should be there for cars with remote start.

But my remote start does still work. Just thought I would throw this tidbit out there.

I still think there is a problem coding a rvs to a rke car. The owners manual shows two distinctly different procedures. I think coding the one would wipe out the other. That is, if this is what he is trying to do.

Re: Remote start with 08 CTS?

no, all 08's do not have remote start. If your remote doesn't show the remote start button then chances are you do not have that function.

Jimmyh. Just to clearify, you do not have the remote start disable function on your DIC, but you have a regular, non passive entry remote with a remote start button? Did you add this remote yourself or did the dealer ship it to you this way?

Is there anyone in or near auburn hills with regular rke, that wouldn't mind briefly meeting up with mr to try this out so we can get this answer?

I have an 09, premium package. It came with factory remote start. What I meant was, there is supposed to be an entry in the DIC that allows you to disable remote start, so the button on the remote will not activate it. But that entry is missing in my DIC menus, yet remote start still works. In addition, the menu entry for remote memory seat recall is also missing, but that function is not working at all. When I unlock with either remote, it does not recall the seat/mirror/steering wheel positions.

I think it has to do with the fact that when I bought the car, they only had one remote key, and had to make a second one. Maybe they programmed it wrong. I have to take it back to fix it.

My point is that the DIC is not recognizing the fact that I have remote start, yet the button on the remote still works. I thought this info may be of some use to you in your endeavor.

ccory07 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS - Performance Package & Ultraview Sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by beanjapan View Post
    Jimmyh. Just to clearify, you do not have the remote start disable function on your DIC, but you have a regular, non passive entry remote with a remote start button? Did you add this remote yourself or did the dealer ship it to you this way?

Is there anyone in or near auburn hills with regular rke, that wouldn't mind briefly meeting up with mr to try this out so we can get this answer?
    Beanjapan,

Could you PM me your contact info. I am at the Tech Center and wanted to ask you a few questions. I would PM you but the forum is not allowing it since I am relatively new.

Chuck

jmmyk123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts

Quote Originally Posted by ccory07 View Post
    Beanjapan,

Could you PM me your contact info. I am at the Tech Center and wanted to ask you a few questions. I would PM you but the forum is not allowing it since I am relatively new.

Chuck
    hey guys I am trying to do the same thing here....i have a factory gm remote starter and want to install it in my 08 cts but dont know if it will work...any info would be great...i cant send messages yet..so can you keep my in the loop?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.