Remote Vehicle Start (Factory) again... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Remote Vehicle Start (Factory) again... in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Have you tried adding the remote to your car to see if it works?...
    beanjapan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Re: Remote Vehicle Start (Factory) again...

Have you tried adding the remote to your car to see if it works?

B&H
    B&H is offline Cadillac Owners Member

JimmyH,

Does your car have passive entry (just have your key fob in your pocket and the doors will unlock when you get close)?

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B&H View Post
    JimmyH,

Does your car have passive entry (just have your key fob in your pocket and the doors will unlock when you get close)?
    yes

OT: I actually want to get remote start installed on my wife's 04 Honda Pilot. Anyone know a good place in the NW Chicago area?

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

For the sake of future posts, let's try to get on an even footing here.
    1. Not all CTS's have remote start. If you have a base model 99.9% you do not have remote start. If you can unlock your doors without pushing [U]any[U] buttons you have a 50-50% chance of remote start.
    2. The two different remotes are paired to the car differently as outlined in the owners manual.
    3. Try to pair a remote start key fob to a non-remote car will not magically give you remote start.
    4.Trying to pair a remote key fob to a non-remote start car probably will not work.
    5. GM does not make a remote start kit for retro-fit on to non- remote start cars.
    6. There are companies that do make retro fit kits and I've read that some can even be programed to your[U]base[U] key fob.

If anyone is trying to do anything than listed above, could you please post again because I can't figure it out.

B&H

I am still working on this but don't have a definite answer yet.

My wife's 08 CTS didn't come with RVS (obviously) and it has the active entry system. There is no doubt that active entry systems had the capability to be equipped with RVS, as a key fob with RVS is available (I bought one).

What remains to be seen is what it takes programming-wise to get this done.

The add-on RVS "kits" that are available for other GM products through GM come with 2 new fobs and a VCI number. For those systems, you enter the VCI number during a system reprogram through TIS (which is different than a "normal" reprogram through TIS), and all of the necessary software is updated in any module that requires it.

With our CTS's, there isn't a readily available VCI number, but I'm not sure that it's absolutely necessary. What I think has to be done is to re-write the RCDLR software, setting it up as if the car was equipped with RVS from the factory. When I say "re-write", this means selecting options for the main operating system and slave operating system during the reprogramming, as well as "turning the system on" in the volatile memory of the RCDLR.

There are 2 RCDLR part numbers available for active entry 2008 CTS's, but GM has superceded them to the same part number.

I have a Tech2 and TIS, but am waiting for a friend of mine who has more programming experience to come to my shop some night so we can try it out. He said he has done it to a Torrent, without a "kit" or VCI number.

The active entry vs passive entry systems are completely different, and you could never upgrade from active to passive. In the active system, the TPMS is combined in the RCDLR. The module is only $80 and very simple compared to the passive one. The passive system is much more complex, but I wouldn't be surprised that if you had a passive system w/o RVS you could convert it also. That will be for someone else to figure out.

So, in a nutshell, I think (hope) that a new key fob and reprogramming of the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) will make this happen.

It would have been a lot nicer if Cadillac offered the kit..

B&H

Update: I tried to reprogram the existing RCDLR again, this time using the procedure for a new module setup -- no go. I am going to get a new RCDLR on Monday and try that. The non-volatile memory is the hold up, I think.

Of interest is that my wife's BCM looks to have all of the RVS data in it! That is very noteworthy. I also noticed in the BCM that it appears to only accept RVS commands from the RCDLR from key fobs 1 and 2. I originally set the new RVS fob up as #3, so I deactivated all key fobs and set up the new one as #1. Still no difference, but it would have been a problem.

Check back for more updates early next week. I'm on a mission now!

B&H

Update 2: Installed and programmed a new RCDLR. The new RCDLR recognizes a remote vehicle start request and sends the info to the BCM. The BCM flashes the parking lights once to acknowledge the request, but that's it. I have to see where the log jam is now, in the BCM or PCM. More later..

ZakCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Base CTS

Any progress?

Since my previous posts; I have updated to a 2012 CTS. My window sticker shows the car has remote vehicle start, the order information says the car should have remote vehicle start but the key fobs I received are simply passive keyless entry. I questioned the service advisor who says the car does not have it regardless of the written material. The build sheet does not show the option code. The dealer will not attempt to resolve this issue because of the lack of the option code. My guess is that I'm out of luck. I don't think Cadillac Customer service can help with this one.

Panzer Leader is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS 3.6 V6 RWD Performance Sedan

On my 2011 I added the remote start at the Dealer. 2 new FOBs, new hood latch and reprogrammed the ECM..........I did not have passive entry.....

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

C"T"ess,
    We can double check the last 8 digits of your VIN if you like. Please send your inquiry our way either via private message or email (katie_lucille@gmexpert.com).
    Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

Thanks Sarah, e-mail sent.

blunted is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '94 Eldorado , '12 CTS Coupe

I'm really interested in adding remote start to my 2012 Coupe.. let us know if you decide to put it on.

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    Since my previous posts; I have updated to a 2012 CTS. My window sticker shows the car has remote vehicle start, the order information says the car should have remote vehicle start but the key fobs I received are simply passive keyless entry. I questioned the service advisor who says the car does not have it regardless of the written material. The build sheet does not show the option code. The dealer will not attempt to resolve this issue because of the lack of the option code. My guess is that I'm out of luck. I don't think Cadillac Customer service can help with this one.
    As I said, based on previous posts by others, Customer Serviced offered to help but then nothing. Just as the dealer said they would check into it since it was on my window sticker, nothing from there either. With problems like this; you gotta figure you are on your own. When I turned in my 2010 lease; Ally charged me north of $300 because the window sticker said I had a spare tire, even though I didn't. Didn't get help then either.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.