Cadillac Owners Forum banner
217K views 392 replies 93 participants last post by  Bucketokarma 
#1 ·
I purchased my 2008 CTS at the end of October and while it did not have Bluetooth, it had all the other options I was looking for.

My 2008 was manufactured in March 08 and therefore has Gen 7 OnStar hardware.

I wanted to see if it was possible to add Bluetooth to the vehicle, without using aftermarket parts. I figured if I wasn't able to do it through the OnStar module, I'd buy a hands-free visor-mount Bluetooth speakerphone instead.

I bought a salvaged unit off eBay for $65 that came from a 2009 CTS. I found the device from Nordstrom's Automotive and is identified by
CADILLAC CTS 2009 Communication; (OnStar, opt UE1), w/voice recognition (opt UPF).
The model # is 25990227.

Before purchasing, I obtained a copy of the service manual and found that there weren’t any wiring changes that could cause a short or irreparable damage to both the module and my vehicle. I figured if the gen 8 module didn't work, I'd probably could plug the gen 7 module back in without problems.

I know that there was information about the new Bluetooth wiring provisions (WXS) when the Gen 8 Module was introduced. My guess is these wires were already part of the existing Nav system wiring (UQA, UQS), and were just separated into a separate wiring scheme in 2009 vehicles to allow Non-Nav cars to support Bluetooth as well (However, my guess is non-Nav cars might have this wiring too as OnStar runs through the stereo..... just don't take my word for it.) They provide a "Remote Playback Device Left Audio Signal", Mute, Ground and a "Cellular Microphone Signal" to the Nav System.
As mentioned, either my car already has it, or it's not needed as my Nav mutes when a call comes in, and I can hear the caller (and they can hear me) clearly when using Bluetooth.

The device arrived on Friday looks almost identical to the Gen 7 module. The only difference is it has a Bluetooth Connector / Antenna, as well as a Bluetooth logo and MAC address on the label.
Took me about an hour to remove the back seat, interior trim and rear shelf (as well as disable the airbags). At this point I had access to the module. I plugged the new one and turned on the car. Success! I went into the Hands-Free menu and said “Bluetooth” and it recognized it! I paired my phone and was able to make calls through the stereo. At this point my OnStar light was red, but probably because the device wasn’t connected long enough to get an OnStar and GPS signal.

Unfortunately, it took me 4 HOURS to remove the old module. Why? The old module is mounted to a plate and when I tried to loosen the nut holding down the module, the bolt turned as well.

I was unable to remove the tray as it was bolted down and one of the bolts had cap on it that couldn’t be removed (it had a wiring harness running through it, so I was unable to unscrew it).

I had to resort to taping a wrench to a paint stick and sliding it under the try to grab hold of the bolt. (There is a hole almost underneath the module in the trunk; however it was not large enough to place an object in to prevent the bolt from turning).

Anyways, although it took over 5 hours to do, I’m happy that it was successful. I will admit though I’m not sure if it’s a 100% success as there were a few problems that I outlined below:

Quirks

After installing the module and getting it mounted in the back of my vehicle, I turned my car onto accessory mode to verify the module worked before putting the car back together.
  • While the car was on accessory mode, my dash and Nav "restarted" and the DIC came up with the message "Stabilitrack Off". This is a total guess, but I wonder if it was due to the car detecting the new module, OR the battery was almost dead as I was in/out of the car for over 6 hours without starting it. To be safe I charged the battery overnight and it hasn't happened since.
  • Also, on Sunday morning, my NAV display came up with the error that "the display unit is too hot and will shut down". This message disappeared after a few seconds and the Nav display is working fine.
I installed the module on Saturday and I haven't had any problems with the car since. Now I know that was only two days ago, but if I see anything else occur, I’ll post about it.

Unresolved Questions / Issues
  • When I have an incoming call, the Caller ID on the DIC shows "UNAVAILABLE". However, this may be due to the Bluetooth capabilities of the cell phone.
  • Also, as this is a used module, I'm not sure if OnStar will be willing to reset the programming on the device to match my vehicle. Therefore, I don't know if I will be able to activate OnStar services on the vehicle. The good news is the OnStar light is green. I might look into it if I decide to activate OnStar in the New Year. There is a guy on the Silverado forums who said he called up OnStar and they downloaded the updated information about his car to the module. However, I'm unsure if he had a new, or a used module.
Of course I can’t make any guarantees if will work in your car (As I said my car has Nav and was manufactured in March 08. Also, I don’t have THAT much experience with electrical or automotive systems, I’m an IT guy) but hey if you’re looking for a way to add Bluetooth to your 08, this MIGHT be a way to do it.

See less See more
#70 ·
I would probably try another dealer. It's the same process they would need to follow if they took a brand new module off the shelf and put it in your car.

Seems like it would cause more grief for for everyone by not doing the setup and linking it to your vehicle. Possible future warranty problems, possible liability issues related to the module having a different vin, lost onstar revenue because it excludes you from being able to subscribe. The setup only took a few minutes, you would think they would want the hour of labor they will probably charge for it.

#74 ·
No that's not me but so similar that it is really weird!

Gram, CSalmon,

Could you post the bulletin or if you have the procedure to do the Onstar module setup? I have a Tech2 and Tisweb subscription coming to my house in May (Uncle's bringing it to the wedding) and am going to set it up.

I may end up reverting to having my uncle order it and bring it as well, however it's like $219 from his end. I was hoping to find it cheaper.

Lastly, what (if any) problems have you had since installing it, how long did they last and are all the quirks gone? I ordered the cigblue BT with the lockpick ultimate and hate it. Over the last two weeks I have found myself just disconnecting the BT and using my earpiece. I am considering the BlueStar (CoStar) module, but enjoy having OnStar so far. Thanks
I will try to find the procedure in the manual and post it in a bit.

I am going on about a month of service now and have had zero problems with this. My onstar works perfectly when I use the blue button and my online vehicle diagnostics are good and 100% accurate to my vehicle. Of course, bluetooth works perfectly too.

I must again stress that if you think about doing this, think it all through and talk to the dealer about it first to make sure they will help! It will not work properly without doing the dealer program and onstar activation when you are done. If one dealer won't do it, try another. You are setting yourself up for future issues if you do not complete the two programming steps to complete the setup.

Good luck!

#75 ·
The Tech 2 has a special function under the VCIM menu under body called "OnStar setup".
This will apply to most years but not all.

If the "setup" is done with a scan tool it will remove the option configuration error code and turn the light green.
The TIS2WEB procedure is only required as an automated activation procedure.
You CAN press the blue OnStar button after the setup is complete and have an advisor configure it manually, the TIS2WEB activation is kind of an option.
(I didn't tell you that ;) )

As a PS... the call might go through to the OnStar Dealer center... there is where you might hit the wall.
If the unit was previously active it might just go to the OnStar call center and you'll get a regular advisor.
At any rate, they still might not help you... I just wanted to clarify the TIS issue.

As another PS, if your relative gives you access to TIS, then he might likely be giving you a log in to gmglobalconnect.
If that is the case, be aware that password changes are forced every 90 days, if someone else is using that login you'll lock their account if you try to use it after a password change. Also if they are using the same account and you log in to do programming using TIS, you might just knock them off the server in the middle of a job and cause some serious issues.... just something to remember.
I think there are other ways to access TIS, but I don't know them.

#76 ·
Thanks for the updates... I just ordered Onstar 8.1 from GMPartsDirect. I will post a flip video of the install (fast fwd'ed when slow). Can someone get a copy of the actual Onstar setup and TIS2Web procedure and either email it to me, upload it or post it. My uncle is bringing his tech2 and has the active TIS2Web but needs to know if he'll need to bring his docking station or if his Tech2 is up-to-date? Either way, can someone find me the setup procedure for this?

Thanks ewill3rd, my uncle is coming out for the wedding and will be setting it up for me, so he won't be logged in elsewhere.

#79 ·
Well, I thought I'd give you guys an update.

I found that my local repair shop had a Tech2 subscription and access to the TIS2WEB service.

Took my car in and they performed the "ONSA TIS2WEB OnStar Pass-Through Activation" on the car. For the next day, my OnStar light was alternating between red and green.

Called up OnStar and (as expected,) my car was still recognized as a 2009. Spoke to a Tech Support Representative and I decided to activate OnStar at the same time. I provided the tech with my VIN and the tech sent the programming to my car. Within 5 minutes he came back on the phone and said it was complete!

The OnStar module is now associated to my car and everything's working the way it should. I just received the Diagnostic Report and all is good! It showed my car was a 2008 CTS with MY VIN! :bouncy:

So a word of advice: If you decide to go ahead with this, MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THROUGH! Contact your dealership and find out if they are willing to perform the ONSA Onstar Activation (either using the Tech2 or Possibly through an OnStar Tech Advisor... if they're willing to do that).
Next, call OnStar and have the module associated to your VIN. If not, you module will still appear as it came from the donor vehicle (if you bought a used unit) and that may limit your ability to use OnStar's service. Although you may not have a problem with that, don't forget it will also affect whoever you may sell the car to in the future. Not having the module correctly associated problems can limit the ability to use OnStar features, such as turn-by-turn directions, remote door unlock, diagnostic reports, etc.

#80 ·
Thanks Gramzster! I am very excited for this! I still need or would REALLY like a copy of the "ONSA TIS2WEB OnStar Pass-Through Activation" procedure. Did you watch the dealer or shop do this? Do you think you could help me find a copy? I'm going to be doing this to mine soon and want to ensure I don't miss anything!

#85 ·
I just updated my Onstar to a 8.0 added the Bluetooth antenna took it to work (I work at a chevy dealer) one of the techs went in with the tech 2 and did a set up the bluetooth showed enabled on the tech 2, However i have not see any signs that the bluetooth is working I push the steering wheel speech button and say bluetooth (that is how we pair the new chevys) and it responds try another command. Am I doing something wrong here thanks guys.

#86 ·
I just updated my Onstar to a 8.0 added the Bluetooth antenna took it to work (I work at a chevy dealer) one of the techs went in with the tech 2 and did a set up the bluetooth showed enabled on the tech 2, However i have not see any signs that the bluetooth is working I push the steering wheel speech button and say bluetooth (that is how we pair the new chevys) and it responds try another command. Am I doing something wrong here thanks guys.
As the car has its own voice recognition system (For the nav / radio), you need to say "Handsfree" first.

Press the Speech Button
Say "Handsfree" (car will respond with "Ready")
Then say "Bluetooth"

When you want to make a call you need to say "Handsfree", then "Dial"

#90 ·
I think I may have another problem when I push the speach butten the little microphone turns yellow in the nav screen and is listeing when I say hands free it just says ( say another command). I just added the nav system to my car i wonder if the microphone is different as well as it is not reconizing voice command other than if I tell it to dial from Onstar that works any ideas.

#91 ·
I had heard that there were some slight variations between the bluetooth operation on an 8.0 and 8.1 module.

After pressing and holding the phone button try saying Onstar, this will route you to the Onstar module, then try saying handsfree or bluetooth. this should get you to the menu where you can pair and make calls via BT.

I heard that this was confusing to customers so they changed it in the 8.1 module to allow the handsfree command right from the start menu instead of having to say Onstar first.

#92 ·
Guys, anyone have any tricks on getting this one clip loose from the sail panel? It looks like it is clipped in with a black clip and is still held in there solidly, so I'm not sure if this is that tether clip or not since it is held in there tightly. I can't tell if this is the tether clip of if this a clip that I still need to dislodge to get to the tether clip. You can't tell completely, but the clip I'm talking about is in the corner above that blue looking tube. I've been bothering Gramzster and csalmon about this and wondering if anyone had and additional tips on that, if this is a clip that pulls out or if this is a clip that I somehow need to slide the sail out from?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/YcY7PZFLKQeJwwU4wIOAsA?feat=directlink

Thanks guys, pulling my hair out here.
Andrew

#93 ·
If you have the screw out of the panel then the rest is just clips, you pull it straight inboard and it will come out.
If you can get a long tool in there and pry close to the clip on the panel it should release.
From there you just slide it forward.

For the record I am still advising against this procedure but I know these are your cars.... ;)

#95 ·
Success on my end with the Bluetooth using the Gen 8 (25990227) module. Big thanks to Gramzster and csalmon for giving me the extra help!!
That's great!
Sorry I wasn't able to respond in time, but glad you made it through. Was it difficult to get that bolt (holding down the module) removed?

Did you get a chance to get the OnStar re-associated yet?

#97 ·
There is a hole in the package shelf right under that bolt with access to the trunk.
You can stick something up in there like a screwdriver and hold the bolt (if you are lucky) while an assistant takes the nut off from the top.

Honestly what I do to change that module out is remove the whole bracket.
It is hard to get the wire retainer off that back bolt and you have to be careful so you don't break the back glass... but it is a lot easier to have the bracket off to do the swap.

Remember for '09 the module is above the glove box ;)

#98 ·
Hey guys i have my onstar module Gen 8 (25990227), and I am now hunting for dealers that will do the work before i install. I have a few questions...
1) how long should it take for the dealer to program the new unit?- i have been quoted up to 2 hours and they want 98.00 an hour.
2) anyone in MA recommend a place that may do this?
3) what should i expect to pay, AKA what is the price range that people have paid?

#103 ·
I finally gave up on upgrading the Bluetooth on my 2008 so I bought a 2010 that comes with the bluetooth. I paired my phone to the car and the car reconized the phone and the phone reconized the the car but they would not link up. I spent two hours on the phone with AT&T and LG only to find out that LG is not compatible with the CTS (LG is the worst for customer service, I think they all take mean pills). On the other hand, AT&T is trying to find me one of their phones that do work with the car. Initially all they had were blackberrys and iphones, but all I want is a simple phone that works with the car. The phone I have now has internet, TV,text messagin and more aps then I need and I never use them.

#109 ·
I finally gave up on upgrading the Bluetooth on my 2008 so I bought a 2010 that comes with the bluetooth. I paired my phone to the car and the car reconized the phone and the phone reconized the the car but they would not link up. I spent two hours on the phone with AT&T and LG only to find out that LG is not compatible with the CTS (LG is the worst for customer service, I think they all take mean pills). On the other hand, AT&T is trying to find me one of their phones that do work with the car. Initially all they had were blackberrys and iphones, but all I want is a simple phone that works with the car. The phone I have now has internet, TV,text messagin and more aps then I need and I never use them.
I know there are "compatibility" lists for all bluetooth devices, but I have yet to ever encounter a phone with bluetooth that would not pair with any particular device.

I would just go to an ATT store, and ask them if you can try a phone with your car before you buy it.

If it helps, I have a Sony w580 which works great with the CTS. It is just a simple slider. And very compact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.