Cadillac Owners Forum banner
217K views 392 replies 93 participants last post by  Bucketokarma 
#1 ·
I purchased my 2008 CTS at the end of October and while it did not have Bluetooth, it had all the other options I was looking for.

My 2008 was manufactured in March 08 and therefore has Gen 7 OnStar hardware.

I wanted to see if it was possible to add Bluetooth to the vehicle, without using aftermarket parts. I figured if I wasn't able to do it through the OnStar module, I'd buy a hands-free visor-mount Bluetooth speakerphone instead.

I bought a salvaged unit off eBay for $65 that came from a 2009 CTS. I found the device from Nordstrom's Automotive and is identified by
CADILLAC CTS 2009 Communication; (OnStar, opt UE1), w/voice recognition (opt UPF).
The model # is 25990227.

Before purchasing, I obtained a copy of the service manual and found that there weren’t any wiring changes that could cause a short or irreparable damage to both the module and my vehicle. I figured if the gen 8 module didn't work, I'd probably could plug the gen 7 module back in without problems.

I know that there was information about the new Bluetooth wiring provisions (WXS) when the Gen 8 Module was introduced. My guess is these wires were already part of the existing Nav system wiring (UQA, UQS), and were just separated into a separate wiring scheme in 2009 vehicles to allow Non-Nav cars to support Bluetooth as well (However, my guess is non-Nav cars might have this wiring too as OnStar runs through the stereo..... just don't take my word for it.) They provide a "Remote Playback Device Left Audio Signal", Mute, Ground and a "Cellular Microphone Signal" to the Nav System.
As mentioned, either my car already has it, or it's not needed as my Nav mutes when a call comes in, and I can hear the caller (and they can hear me) clearly when using Bluetooth.

The device arrived on Friday looks almost identical to the Gen 7 module. The only difference is it has a Bluetooth Connector / Antenna, as well as a Bluetooth logo and MAC address on the label.
Took me about an hour to remove the back seat, interior trim and rear shelf (as well as disable the airbags). At this point I had access to the module. I plugged the new one and turned on the car. Success! I went into the Hands-Free menu and said “Bluetooth” and it recognized it! I paired my phone and was able to make calls through the stereo. At this point my OnStar light was red, but probably because the device wasn’t connected long enough to get an OnStar and GPS signal.

Unfortunately, it took me 4 HOURS to remove the old module. Why? The old module is mounted to a plate and when I tried to loosen the nut holding down the module, the bolt turned as well.

I was unable to remove the tray as it was bolted down and one of the bolts had cap on it that couldn’t be removed (it had a wiring harness running through it, so I was unable to unscrew it).

I had to resort to taping a wrench to a paint stick and sliding it under the try to grab hold of the bolt. (There is a hole almost underneath the module in the trunk; however it was not large enough to place an object in to prevent the bolt from turning).

Anyways, although it took over 5 hours to do, I’m happy that it was successful. I will admit though I’m not sure if it’s a 100% success as there were a few problems that I outlined below:

Quirks

After installing the module and getting it mounted in the back of my vehicle, I turned my car onto accessory mode to verify the module worked before putting the car back together.
  • While the car was on accessory mode, my dash and Nav "restarted" and the DIC came up with the message "Stabilitrack Off". This is a total guess, but I wonder if it was due to the car detecting the new module, OR the battery was almost dead as I was in/out of the car for over 6 hours without starting it. To be safe I charged the battery overnight and it hasn't happened since.
  • Also, on Sunday morning, my NAV display came up with the error that "the display unit is too hot and will shut down". This message disappeared after a few seconds and the Nav display is working fine.
I installed the module on Saturday and I haven't had any problems with the car since. Now I know that was only two days ago, but if I see anything else occur, I’ll post about it.

Unresolved Questions / Issues
  • When I have an incoming call, the Caller ID on the DIC shows "UNAVAILABLE". However, this may be due to the Bluetooth capabilities of the cell phone.
  • Also, as this is a used module, I'm not sure if OnStar will be willing to reset the programming on the device to match my vehicle. Therefore, I don't know if I will be able to activate OnStar services on the vehicle. The good news is the OnStar light is green. I might look into it if I decide to activate OnStar in the New Year. There is a guy on the Silverado forums who said he called up OnStar and they downloaded the updated information about his car to the module. However, I'm unsure if he had a new, or a used module.
Of course I can’t make any guarantees if will work in your car (As I said my car has Nav and was manufactured in March 08. Also, I don’t have THAT much experience with electrical or automotive systems, I’m an IT guy) but hey if you’re looking for a way to add Bluetooth to your 08, this MIGHT be a way to do it.

See less See more
#269 ·
Thanks sfv41901 but I thought there were dates of manufacture to be wary of and the link in this thread no longer works that took you to a corvette site about the 8.0 VCIM. How about the other questions about the Onstar light being an issue? I'd be glad to have just the bluetooth working properly without the Onstar functionality but I don't want any Onstar mirror lights on. I thought the Onstar lights would just stay off until the Onstar is activated or attempted to be activated but I need this verified. If I ever sell the vehicle, I will swap the original VCIM back in if the buyer wants or they could attempt to get the 8.0 module activated.

#270 ·
Not 100% sure but I know that every time the car is turned on, the VCIM does a self diagnostic check.

That being said, I know that when I swapped mine it was previously hooked up so all I needed to do was have other info swapped. I'm not aware of anyone installing a new VCIM

#272 ·
2011 Tahoe VCIM (22794713) installed in 2007 Escalade. Install was easy however there was an extra blue GPS cable that didn't have a connection on back of new unit. Bluetooth perfect. OnStar red light.

Dealer tried to program unit, but I don't think they know how. What is exact procedure...

They connected Tech2 to vehicle and connected TIS terminal and selected OnStar Activation programming event using SPS. However, after entering 2007 Escalade, no VCIM comes up on scan tool. Obviously, with 2007 entered it does not look for Gen 7 or 8's... Should they have just used Tech2 and no TIS? What are exact instructions they can follow.... thanks.

#273 ·
Figured out issue. 2011 VCIM can only be programmed by Techline SPS application, using procedures VCIM Vehicle Communication Interface module setup AND the ONSA-InStar Application. It can't be programmed with Tech2.

With Tech 2 the only way to see it is to use model year 2011 as it is in a 2007 Escalade. 2007 MY doesn't detect it iin Tech2.

So question is with SPS will it be possible to program a 2011 VCIM in a 2007 Escalade. If so what are the steps as we probably have to enter a different model year. Can this be done.

#282 · (Edited)
zach2011 said:
Yes, I purchased a VCIM that came from a 2011 CTS. The part number is 22739392.
Thanks. I was looking at part number 20951765, which is for a 2011 CTS. I'll keep on searching...

Edit: After further investigating due to the conflict in part numbers, I've concluded that I HATE eBay...lol. The guy was trying to pass off a Buick VCIM for ours. I found one at GM parts giant but they have replaced it with part number 22796947 ($212.53) I'm wondering if it'll work...thoughts???

#286 · (Edited)
Here are the bluetooth VCIMs that fit the 2008 - 2010 CTS without any modifications:

This is the Gen 8.0 VCIM: (Shown without the bluetooth antenna attached)

This is the Gen 8.1 VCIM:

This is the Gen 8.2 VCIM:

This is the bracket used to mount the VCIM behind the glovebox in 2009 and newer cars:

All of these VCIMs swap out wire for wire with no alterations.
The Gen 8.1 and Gen 8.2 VCIMs are the best.
The Gen 8.0 VCIMs had communication issues and should be avoided.
The Gen version is indicated by the first three characters of the model number.
The original Gen 7.0 VCIMs show TX power output of 3 watts. All subsequent bluetooth VCIMs show TX power output of 0.6 watts.

P/N 25990227 - Gen 8.0
P/N 20787642 - Gen 8.1
P/N 20833148 - Gen 8.2
(supersedes all previous bluetooth versions)

#287 ·
LEOinDC said:
Here are the bluetooth VCIMs that fit the 2008 - 2010 CTS without any modifications:

This is the Gen 8.0 VCIM: (Shown without the bluetooth antenna attached)

This is the Gen 8.1 VCIM:

This is the Gen 8.2 VCIM:

This is the bracket used to mount the VCIM behind the glovebox in 2009 and newer cars:

All of these VCIMs swap out wire for wire with no alterations.
The Gen 8.1 and Gen 8.2 VCIMs are the best.
The Gen 8.0 VCIMs had communication issues and should be avoided.
The Gen version is indicated by the first three characters of the model number.
The original Gen 7.0 VCIMs show TX power output of 3 watts. All subsequent bluetooth VCIMs show TX power output of 0.6 watts.

P/N 25990227 - Gen 8.0
P/N 20787642 - Gen 8.1
P/N 20833148 - Gen 8.2 (supersedes all previous bluetooth versions)
Great info but I still cannot find the part anywhere. Do you know where I could get one from?

#292 ·
Gramzster said:
Remove the old VCIM (The Hard Part).
Now that we know the Gen 8 VCIM is working with the car, it’s time to remove the Gen 7 VCIM.

Before doing this step, take a break.... have a drink.... walk the dog.... Seriously because after doing this, I was pretty frustrated (as mentioned it took me 4 hours to remove it).

You may notice the VCIM is mounted to a black plastic tray. The front of the VCIM is held in by two clips and the rear is held by a bolt.

First, try loosening the nut from the bolt. As the bolt is mounted to the tray (and not the frame) there’s a good chance that the bolt will turn with the nut. (If not, loosen the nut, swap the VCIMs and tighten the nut to secure the new VCIM. If that’s the case, you really lucked out and are done this step).

Now, if you look in your trunk, you will notice a hole in the trunk that is nearby the location of the bolt. However, the bolt is offset enough that using a screwdriver through the hole will not work to stop the bolt from turning.

(I’ve indicated the Bolt’s approximate location with an arrow).
http://img40.imageshack.us/i/trunkaccess.jpg/

Now, as metioned, the tray is bolted down using 5 bolts. 4 are towards the front of the tray, and 1 is at the rear, between the VCIM and subwoofer. Unfortunately, the rear bolt has a cap on it and is next-to-impossible to remove due to the position of the bolt and the closeness of the rear window.

http://img199.imageshack.us/i/traybolts.jpg/

If you remove the front 4 nuts (while leaving the rear nut in place), you will notice you can lift the tray slightly. There may be some adheasive that is holding the tray down as well.

In order to access the bolt under the VCIM, I had to improvise. I taped a wrench to a paint stick, lifted the tray, and slid the paint stick under the tray towards the bolt (of course, having a long wrench could help if you had that in your posession). I had somone shine a flashlight through the hole in the trunk so I could get a better view. It took a few tries, but I was eventually able to snag the bolt.

http://img526.imageshack.us/i/stickwrench.jpg/

At this point, loosen the bolt and remove the module.

http://img194.imageshack.us/i/vcimremoved.jpg/

Install the new module, and attach the bluetooth antenna, as shown below

http://img40.imageshack.us/i/vcimgen8.jpg/

Re-Insert the OnStar fuse and test out the module again. As mentioned before, this is the time where my console restarted, however that may have been due to the car recognizing the module, the module configured for parameters the car did not understand, or my car’s battery running low.

If all is okay, reverse these steps to place the car back together again.

Don't Forget

Make sure all nuts are tightened down

The Rear-Self may some playing with to get back into place.

The interior trim needs to be reattached to the rubber clips (and also needs to playing with as well to get the clips to snap into the frame). Don't forget to slide the trim panel behind the rubber trim that surrounds the door.

When putting the rear-seat cushion back into the car, there is a small hook on the back of the cushion. Line this up with the back of the seat, push back, then push down on the cushion.

Finally, re-insert the Airbag Fuses.

At this point, the VCIM and Bluetooth install are now complete!

http://img269.imageshack.us/i/bluetoothdic.jpg/

At this point, you will need to take the car to the dealership to have the module programmed. If you got it from a 2009 CTS, 95% of the parameters probably work with the 08 cts as well, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. The Dealership will use a Tech II to configure the device to fully work with your car. Ths process the Dealership needs to perform is the “OnStar Setup Procedure”

Next, you will need to call OnStar and speak with a technical support advisor. As you probably bought the module from a salvaged vehicle, the Station ID is used by OnStar’s network to identify your car, and it will be associated with the previous vechile. Mention to OnStar that you replaced the module and you had the dealership program the module for your vechile. At this point they will associate the Station ID of the VCIM to your vehicle’s VIN. If you have OnStar already, this also means your account will be associated with the new module. (Your dealership may do this step for you as part of the setup procedure)

Once you complete these last two steps, you’re finished!
Thanks to you, I installed my new vcim in about an hour and a half from start to finish! Minus the break per your instructions;) Thank you for posting this, it was a huge help! Now to go to the dealer for programming...will make the appointment Monday.

#293 · (Edited)
Congrats jeffc83, well done. :2thumbs: Glad to hear you received the VCIM and installed it without a hitch.
I must call Gramzster one of these days (he lives in the same town as I do) and tell him to have a peek at this thread - I believe it has the greatest number of views of any thread in this 2nd gen CTS forum. FYI.. Gramzster hasn't posted in the Cadillac forums since Sept 2012, and I don't know if he still owns his '08 CTS.

#295 · (Edited)
^ Not a problem jeffc83, I will pass your comments on when I call him.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Bluetooth! :) Yes, your phone will automatically connect when you start your car.
I believe you can pair up to 5 different phones, but on starting the car the system will attempt to connect to the first phone that was paired. Failing to achieve that it then tries to connect to the 2nd phone that was paired, and so on. Clever. When my wife and I go out in the car we generally both carry our cell phones, but the system always auto-connects to my phone, since my phone was the first to be paired. When Mrs RAB goes out in the CTS on her own, the system still initially auto-connects to my phone (with the CTS starting up in our garage), since my phone generally sits on the hall table inside the house not far from the garage door. The range for Bluetooth is pretty impressive.
It's happened where my wife had driven off (with my phone intially connected to the car), drove about a mile and then returned after a few minutes to grab something she'd forgotten. In the meantime I had gotten on to a cell phone call after she had left. When the car came back within range (when the CTS entered our driveway) my call was suddenly and automatically transferred to the car for my wife to enjoy! That was certainly unexpected! Luckily I wasn't on a call with the girlfriend! ;)

BTW.. when storing phone numbers and assigning a name tag to each number, I've found that the system better understands a 2-word name tag compared to a 1-word tag. For example I had the name tag of "home" stored for calling our home phone. I found the system often misunderstood the word "home", frequently guessing I was saying the word "help". What should have been a quick call home would become a voyage of discovery in the Help menu! Since changing the name tag from "home" to "home phone" I've had no further problems.

#296 · (Edited)
RAB said:
^ Not a problem jeffc83, I will pass your comments on to him when I call.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Bluetooth! :) Yes, your phone will automatically connect when you start your car.
I believe you can pair up to 5 different phones, but on starting the car the system will attempt to connect to the first phone that was paired. Failing to achieve that it then tries to connect to the 2nd phone that was paired, and so on. Clever. When my wife and I go out in the car we generally both carry our cell phones, but the system always auto-connects to my phone, since my phone was the first to be paired. When Mrs RAB goes out in the CTS on her own, the system still initially auto-connects to my phone (with the CTS starting up in our garage), since my phone generally sits on the hall table inside the house not far from the garage door. The range for Bluetooth is pretty impressive.
Thanks for the info as always! Now to get the VCIM programmed by the dealer so I can call onstar to activate it. (I'll then be able to take advantage of the remote link app) I sure hope they don't give me a hard time...

UPDATE: I have an appointment for next Friday for the usual oil change and hopefully for the programming of the VCIM. (the service manager said they've never heard of the OnStar setup procedure but would look into it before I get there next week) Has anyone had a difficult time getting the dealer to program the VCIM?

#297 · (Edited)
Update: I'm at the dealer now and am not surprised that they will not reprogram the VCIM. The service manager stated they are vehicle specific and was surprised that I even got it to work at all. He brought his lead tech out, which just smiled and said nope, can't reprogram them. I guess I can live without the OnStar working but I do wonder what would happen if my VCIM died? Hmmm.

Update 3: I got bored and asked again. This time I said what if my vcim died and the service manager was nice enough to call Cadillac to find out what to do. For $65.00, they reprogrammed the VCIM BUT it still shows the red light because I have a 2011 VCIM with a 2008 antenna. When I went to pay, they did not charge me for it...lol. Thanks to Fred Beans Cadillac for tying!

#298 ·
jeffc83, did you end up using the VCIM you bought from another member here on the forum or did you buy a new virgin VCIM?
Reading through this post, it sounds like using new, unprogrammed VCIM works right off the bat (giving you onstar and MyLink).
Can anyone else confirm that using a previously programmed 9.0 VCIM will require the dealership to reprogram but using a virgin unprogrammed 9.0 VCIM likely will not require dealership programming?

#299 ·
dekes1 said:
jeffc83, did you end up using the VCIM you bought from another member here on the forum or did you buy a new virgin VCIM?
Reading through this post, it sounds like using new, unprogrammed VCIM works right off the bat (giving you onstar and MyLink).
Can anyone else confirm that using a previously programmed 9.0 VCIM will require the dealership to reprogram but using a virgin unprogrammed 9.0 VCIM likely will not require dealership programming?
I installed a used unit from another member. The issue with the 2011 VCIM (gen ??) is the antenna connection for the onstar GPS. I would need to install the shark fin antenna/wiring to get onstar working again. (dealer was able to program it just in case I do install the shark fin) So, I have Bluetooth but no onstar/remote link. Works for me because I never renewed onstar and my NAV system still worked after the install. Either way, Im sure you'll enjoy the Bluetooth feature.

Not sure about a new unit but did read here that someone received the "green light" for onstar after a few hours.

#301 ·
Thanks for the info. I tried to login to the app but it tells me that my car is not compatible... OnStar told me that there was nothing they could do so I cancelled for good. (called twice too...once after the reprogram) The remote start works in my office/home anyway.

#303 · (Edited)
My experience with OnStar tech support was the equivalent of calling your local cable company for assistance - monkeys reading from a script.

They are inflexible and firm about not willing to reassign the station ID of salvaged units to your car. (Interestingly, they have a department for hardware changes.)

I used a salvaged GEN 8.2 from a 2010 CTS in my 2008 CTS4. Lindsay Cadillac did the setup programming just fine. Everything works perfectly: no red lights, great bluetooth, GPS, remote unlock, remote horn & lights - even the monthly emailed maintenance reports. I also requested the OnStar cell system be given a new number to reflect my local area code and they did that along with 500 complimentary minutes.

But they simply refuse to re-associate salvaged modules to your actual car so it reports the donor vehicle VIN and model year.

Go figure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.