Cadillac Owners Forum banner
217K views 392 replies 93 participants last post by  Bucketokarma 
#1 ·
I purchased my 2008 CTS at the end of October and while it did not have Bluetooth, it had all the other options I was looking for.

My 2008 was manufactured in March 08 and therefore has Gen 7 OnStar hardware.

I wanted to see if it was possible to add Bluetooth to the vehicle, without using aftermarket parts. I figured if I wasn't able to do it through the OnStar module, I'd buy a hands-free visor-mount Bluetooth speakerphone instead.

I bought a salvaged unit off eBay for $65 that came from a 2009 CTS. I found the device from Nordstrom's Automotive and is identified by
CADILLAC CTS 2009 Communication; (OnStar, opt UE1), w/voice recognition (opt UPF).
The model # is 25990227.

Before purchasing, I obtained a copy of the service manual and found that there weren’t any wiring changes that could cause a short or irreparable damage to both the module and my vehicle. I figured if the gen 8 module didn't work, I'd probably could plug the gen 7 module back in without problems.

I know that there was information about the new Bluetooth wiring provisions (WXS) when the Gen 8 Module was introduced. My guess is these wires were already part of the existing Nav system wiring (UQA, UQS), and were just separated into a separate wiring scheme in 2009 vehicles to allow Non-Nav cars to support Bluetooth as well (However, my guess is non-Nav cars might have this wiring too as OnStar runs through the stereo..... just don't take my word for it.) They provide a "Remote Playback Device Left Audio Signal", Mute, Ground and a "Cellular Microphone Signal" to the Nav System.
As mentioned, either my car already has it, or it's not needed as my Nav mutes when a call comes in, and I can hear the caller (and they can hear me) clearly when using Bluetooth.

The device arrived on Friday looks almost identical to the Gen 7 module. The only difference is it has a Bluetooth Connector / Antenna, as well as a Bluetooth logo and MAC address on the label.
Took me about an hour to remove the back seat, interior trim and rear shelf (as well as disable the airbags). At this point I had access to the module. I plugged the new one and turned on the car. Success! I went into the Hands-Free menu and said “Bluetooth” and it recognized it! I paired my phone and was able to make calls through the stereo. At this point my OnStar light was red, but probably because the device wasn’t connected long enough to get an OnStar and GPS signal.

Unfortunately, it took me 4 HOURS to remove the old module. Why? The old module is mounted to a plate and when I tried to loosen the nut holding down the module, the bolt turned as well.

I was unable to remove the tray as it was bolted down and one of the bolts had cap on it that couldn’t be removed (it had a wiring harness running through it, so I was unable to unscrew it).

I had to resort to taping a wrench to a paint stick and sliding it under the try to grab hold of the bolt. (There is a hole almost underneath the module in the trunk; however it was not large enough to place an object in to prevent the bolt from turning).

Anyways, although it took over 5 hours to do, I’m happy that it was successful. I will admit though I’m not sure if it’s a 100% success as there were a few problems that I outlined below:

Quirks

After installing the module and getting it mounted in the back of my vehicle, I turned my car onto accessory mode to verify the module worked before putting the car back together.
  • While the car was on accessory mode, my dash and Nav "restarted" and the DIC came up with the message "Stabilitrack Off". This is a total guess, but I wonder if it was due to the car detecting the new module, OR the battery was almost dead as I was in/out of the car for over 6 hours without starting it. To be safe I charged the battery overnight and it hasn't happened since.
  • Also, on Sunday morning, my NAV display came up with the error that "the display unit is too hot and will shut down". This message disappeared after a few seconds and the Nav display is working fine.
I installed the module on Saturday and I haven't had any problems with the car since. Now I know that was only two days ago, but if I see anything else occur, I’ll post about it.

Unresolved Questions / Issues
  • When I have an incoming call, the Caller ID on the DIC shows "UNAVAILABLE". However, this may be due to the Bluetooth capabilities of the cell phone.
  • Also, as this is a used module, I'm not sure if OnStar will be willing to reset the programming on the device to match my vehicle. Therefore, I don't know if I will be able to activate OnStar services on the vehicle. The good news is the OnStar light is green. I might look into it if I decide to activate OnStar in the New Year. There is a guy on the Silverado forums who said he called up OnStar and they downloaded the updated information about his car to the module. However, I'm unsure if he had a new, or a used module.
Of course I can’t make any guarantees if will work in your car (As I said my car has Nav and was manufactured in March 08. Also, I don’t have THAT much experience with electrical or automotive systems, I’m an IT guy) but hey if you’re looking for a way to add Bluetooth to your 08, this MIGHT be a way to do it.

See less See more
#237 ·
Rab - Wow.. I had no idea you could even find that on the net. Ill look for an 09 Impala schematic. At the top of the pdf you linked it shows "Onstar UE1". The module I got out of the Impala was also listed as a UE1 with option UPF. Ill dig for the 09 impala schematics. Ill post my findings as soon as I find them. I'm grateful guys. I really am. Thank you.

#238 · (Edited)
phigment, today I was finally able to select the '09 Impala at ChiltonLibrary.com and download the OnStar schematic.
Here's my link to the schematic: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2858205/wd-gm-057062-pdf-june-8-2011-8-56-am-167k?da=y

I had a quick look at both OnStar schematics ('06 DTS & '09 Impala) and I've noticed that on the '09 Impala schematic there is an auxiliary/back-up battery for the VCIM, and it is connected by way of a secondary power connection on the VCIM (an additional B+) via pins 13 & 14 of cable/connector "X1". I see no reference to an auxiliary VCIM battery on the '06 DTS OnStar schematic.
The reconnection/pairing issues you're facing may be solved by installing the auxiliary battery that your ('09 Impala) model of VCIM calls for. I have no information as to what type of battery is needed or where it is normally installed (perhaps clipped to the side of the VCIM itself, or attached as an add-on to the X1 cable+connector assembly?).. however I suspect you can now find all of this out in short order at your Cadillac or Chevrolet dealer.

If your reconnection problem is not related to the back-up battery, it may turn out there's a wiring issue (the schematics will probably help) or a device compatability issue to resolve (eg. the use of an '09 Impala OnStar VCIM with an '06 DTS Rear View Mirror/OnStar Control & Indicator Assembly may be a no-go).

Good luck, and let us know how this goes for you. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Since posting my original text above I've discovered thru an internet search that the auxiliary/ back-up battery for newer version VCIM's is provided for emergency purposes. The back-up battery comes into play when the vehicle is in an accident and the vehicle's main battery is destroyed or disconnected. Using the back-up battery in this situation the OnStar system can make an emergency call(s) to OnStar.
In normal vehicle & OnStar operation, should the back-up battery fail/deplete or become disconnected from the system, a fault code will be (or should be) generated on the vehicle and a fault light should illuminate at the OnStar section of the rear view mirror.

#239 ·
Rab, the module I received actually came with the battery. There was no connection in my car for it in my car. I did some research based on the p/n on the battery itself and found the same information you did. I mulled it over in my mind and since the battery is not rechargeable I did not think they would allow anything to draw power from it. I did a great deal of testing last night and have made some observations.

1. If I pair my phone and then shut off my car and open my door(to kill power) and then immediately turn the power back on, the system will reconnect to my phone.
2. If I pair my phone and then shut off my car and open the door(to kill power) and leave it for more than 1 minute, the system will not reconnect to my phone.

Could anybody please try this for me on one of your vehicles? Disable the bluetooth on your phone. One bluetooth is turned off, shut off your vehicle and leave it for at least 2 minutes. When you re-enter your vehicle (your bluetooth should be off and the VCIM should not have connected to it) enter your bluetooth options and try the "List", "Delete" and "Change phone" commands. If your system responds with anything other than "Im sorry but there are currently no paired phones connected" or some such verbage, then I believe my problem lies in the software on the VCIM that I received. Without a phone being connected to the system, the only bluetooth command that will do anything for me is "Pair". Guys.. Thanks again. Rab.. you are the man!! :worship:

#241 ·
Just picked up a 2008 CTS4, and like others on here am dissapointed that I dont have bluetooth ... after doing some googleing found this thread, and man am I glad I did! Im going to be calling up to a couple of my local dealerships and see if any of them are going to be able/willing to help me out on this. If all goes well then its off to the junk yards to try and find a new module with bluetooth!

#247 ·
Would I have to remove the upper trim panels if all I want to do is duct tape the CoStar Bluestar 2010 unit next to the VCIM, and only remove the two white plugs in order to plug in the Bluestar unit? It looks like I can reach the VCIM to unfasten the wire I need just by reaching through...

Thanks for the great pictures.

#249 ·
Update: I have a 2006 DTS. I got my VCIM off a 2009 Impala. Thanks goes out to all the peeps here who have helped me. This past weekend my friend, who is a GM tech, got his tech2 and we did some testing. The tech2 pulls your VIN from the on-board computer. No matter what make/model/year you tell it, it will work off the VIN that is pulled. So, we went to ebay and searched for a 2009 Caddy DTS, copied the VIN and put it in the tech2. After doing that we have more options. Most importantly we have an update for the VCIM available. After installing this update my Bluetooth works flawlessly. I LOVE it. Note it did take about 25 actual minutes for the update to download and install. As a note, the light on the right side of my rear view mirror is dark and I am able to contact Onstar without issue. They think I am driving a 2009 Impala.

This next thing is a little off subject but worth mentioning. I also purchased an advanced 2-way remote FOB p/n# 19213467. Supposed to work with 2008+. Again, put the VIN from a 2009 in tech2 and the thing programs without a hitch. Had to redo the TPMS sensors, but other than that it was pretty easy and works like a charm. Now everything I wanted to work on my car works. Took forever to figure out but it was worth it. I love my car.

#251 ·
So, we went to ebay and searched for a 2009 Caddy DTS, copied the VIN and put it in the tech2. After doing that we have more options. Most importantly we have an update for the VCIM available.
Really? Thanks for mentioning that! I may take my car back to my local repair shop and ask him to run the Tech2 with the VIN of the car the module originally came from.

Hopefully that software update will show up (I remember there being one for the model I have installed) and might possibly correct the issue with no Caller ID appearing.

#253 ·
Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8.2 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Help.........cant pair

Gramzster or anyone who can help.........

I have an 08 CTS w/Nav & no bluetooth. I got this VCIM out of a 2010 CTS w/o NAV ( not sure if it matters) & its Verision 8.2 (see pic below)

When I press the command button on the steering wheel, I get the yellow boarder around my nav screen, but it does not say "ready". I say "hands free", & the system responds w/"enter street" followed by "invalid command". I know this VCIM was working cause they seller paired it to his phone before I bought it. What gives.

#256 ·
Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8.2 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Help.........cant pair

Gramzster or anyone who can help.........

I have an 08 CTS w/Nav & no bluetooth. I got this VCIM out of a 2010 CTS w/o NAV ( not sure if it matters) & its Verision 8.2 (see pic below)

When I press the command button on the steering wheel, I get the yellow boarder around my nav screen, but it does not say "ready". I say "hands free", & the system responds w/"enter street" followed by "invalid command". I know this VCIM was working cause they seller paired it to his phone before I bought it. What gives.

Total speculation on my part, but there may be a difference in the unit in cars w/o nav. Does the rest of your voice recognition stuff work properly (entering street, other commands, etc.) with the new module?

#258 ·
From the owners manual:

For vehicles without a navigation
system, the system responds with
“Ready” followed by a tone.
For vehicles with a navigation
system, the system responds with
a tone. After the tone, say “Hands
Free.” The system responds with
“Ready” followed by a tone.

It definitely should not say ready right away. Here's my guess on how it works. When you hold down the button, you get the prompt from the nav radio. At this point it is the radio doing voice recognition. When you say "Hands Free" the radio is programmed to switch you over to the onstar module, which takes over from there. It is possible that if you have a 08 nav radio and you have not updated the software version on it, it is still not programmed to recognize the "hands free" command. Do you know what nav software version your radio is running?

#260 ·
I think that's your problem,the latest version is 3.14 and even in 2009 i think there were on version 2.50. I doubt your car has been updated since it left the factory, 1.02 is way old. See if your dealership has an update CD, or else you might have to get the $199 nav disc update.

#261 ·
I pulled up my 2008 owner's manual. That manual says if you have nav, you have to say "Onstar" to access the onstar module. Do me a favor and say "Onstar" then "Bluetooth" and see if that works since your nav software is so out of date and it's not recognizing the "hands free" command.

#262 ·
weezedog, thx. That was it.

So to recap, here is what I did:

I have a 08 non-bluetooth CTS w/Nav verision 1.02
I got a VCIM w/verision 2.0 from a 2010 CTS w/o Nav.

I followed the write up.
Now to get my phone to pair, I had to do the following:

Press & hold the talk/speak button for a few seconds till the system responds with a tone.
Say "onstar". System responds with "onstar ready"
Say "bluetooth" Syatem responds with"bluetooth ready".
Say "pair", then just follow the commands.

I paired my Thunderbold, had my wife call me & her number shows up on the DIC :highfive:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.