2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Guys, for those of you that will "settle" for the 8.0 version: Link...
    agreif is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS DI AWD

Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

Guys, for those of you that will "settle" for the 8.0 version: Link

matthayes3741 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 14 CTSV Wagon (past 13 SRX-4 Prem, 08 CTS, 05 Escalade EXT)

Well someone got a great deal. ICS sold that part over the weekend. I googled it, and they listed the same part for $90 on other sites. I'm not sure how much was paid for it. I would have picked it up, however I was waiting for cancelation confirmation from GMPartdirect. They finally replied today canceling my order and this part was already gone. I am not upset, I would just warn people about purchasing either module from GMPartsdirect as it appears that they are on backorder. I purchased mine well over a month ago and it still hadn't gone through. Now to just keep looking...

Gramzster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, 2007 DTS, 2011 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by matthayes3741 View Post
    I am not upset, I would just warn people about purchasing either module from GMPartsdirect as it appears that they are on backorder. I purchased mine well over a month ago and it still hadn't gone through. Now to just keep looking...
    As mentioned before, this product is classified as a restricted item by GM. GM will not allow Vendors / Dealerships to simply purchase this item the supplier.

GM only provides these modules if there is a case where the original module needs to be replaced. This means that both the VIN of the source vehicle, PLUS documentation of the issue needs to be provided with the Technical Assitance Centre for GM to release one of these modules.

That's why you can only obtain a module if it's used/salvaged.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    I finally gave up on upgrading the Bluetooth on my 2008 so I bought a 2010 that comes with the bluetooth. I paired my phone to the car and the car reconized the phone and the phone reconized the the car but they would not link up. I spent two hours on the phone with AT&T and LG only to find out that LG is not compatible with the CTS (LG is the worst for customer service, I think they all take mean pills). On the other hand, AT&T is trying to find me one of their phones that do work with the car. Initially all they had were blackberrys and iphones, but all I want is a simple phone that works with the car. The phone I have now has internet, TV,text messagin and more aps then I need and I never use them.
    I know there are "compatibility" lists for all bluetooth devices, but I have yet to ever encounter a phone with bluetooth that would not pair with any particular device.

I would just go to an ATT store, and ask them if you can try a phone with your car before you buy it.

If it helps, I have a Sony w580 which works great with the CTS. It is just a simple slider. And very compact.

6speedRS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

You are right. It doesn't work in a 2007 CTS. I tried it on the weekend. I picked up the onstar module (P/N:20787642) on Friday for $226 CDN. I will be returning it this week to get my money back. I am going to go with the Costars Bluestar 2010. I wasn't really planning to use onstar anyway, I just thought it would have been cool to have all the functionality for the car intact.

If anyone wants the module before I return it, email and we can make arrangements ($226 plus shipping). It seems expensive compared to what has beeen popping up, but I have never been known for my patience so I paid it.

Roger

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Jimmy, while pairing is usually not an issue, with many phones functionality quickly goes nuts after the pairing.
    The most troublesome phones by far that my customers have issues with using BT is the Blackberry, not sure about specific versions.

Yes, you can't just order VCIM's from dealers or other sources if they are on parts restriction as most gen 8 and 8.1 boxes are.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    Jimmy, while pairing is usually not an issue, with many phones functionality quickly goes nuts after the pairing.
    The most troublesome phones by far that my customers have issues with using BT is the Blackberry, not sure about specific versions.

Yes, you can't just order VCIM's from dealers or other sources if they are on parts restriction as most gen 8 and 8.1 boxes are.
    Blackberry is the worst. My boss had one; nothing but problems, especially bluetooth to his G35. So he traded it for an iphone. Which has been quirky, but almost always works.

On the other hand, blackberrys are the best for using as a bluetooth modem for your computer.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

After all of the hassles I had and LG"s poor customer service, as soon as I stepped into the car, the phoned linked up to the car and the bluetooth has worked flawlessly.

jmmyk123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts

installed! it took me about 2 hours, install my 8.0 ( i took some time to clean the seats while they were out)

the dealer charged me for an hour of labor to do the setup.

A few things.....onstar is a pain in the butt!...they would not set up the unit unless i paid for the service...so after 45 mins on the phone with them i decided against it ALSO they said it would have no effect on the car... not sure if this is true???

to make a call i have to say onstar...dial..call...or so on...and i have to set up new voice tags in onstar...does this sound right???

and my nav screen is blank during a call, with the online info being hang up.

Quote Originally Posted by jmmyk123 View Post
    and my nav screen is blank during a call, with the online info being hang up.
    Thats what I have. Items like telephone numbers and minutes are displayed on the DIC. On the Nav screen, I see a small phone icon and a "Hang Up" button.

When a call comes in, the call info is on the DIC and the buttons "Accept" and "Reject" are on the Nav to answer the call.

scoutpilot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS 08

Anyone have a good source for the onstar module? I'm coming up empty. Just got back from Iraq and this is the one missing feature in my CTS I really want to fix!

matthayes3741 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 14 CTSV Wagon (past 13 SRX-4 Prem, 08 CTS, 05 Escalade EXT)

I'm also looking for an 8.0 or 8.1 for my CTS!

It's been a month and a half and I thought I've give an update:

So far the OnStar service is been working well. I've called OnStar a few times, and had no problems (they were able to pinpoint my location). I also received my monthly OnStar reports. I contacted OnStar a few weeks ago and they were able to perform a remote diagnostic. Just for the fun if it, I want to call them some day to have them honk the horn or remoteley unlock the doors.

I've noticed that BOTH my incoming OnStar and Bluetooth calls appear as "UNKNOWN" on the DIC. Not sure this if this a Module, Network (OnStar Calls), or Phone (Bluetooth) related issue. Not concerned about it though. Items such as dialed numbers and minutes appear on the DIC without any problems.

As mentioned a while back, I had a problem where my OnStar LED would intermittantly turn red. This continued to occur after I activated the service. I was concerned it was a module or network connectivity issue. Called OnStar, had them run a diagnostic and they told me the problem was related to the bluetooth antenna.

When I took the car in for service, I asked them if they could also pull the codes. They verified it was the bluetooth antenna, so I purchased a replacement and installed myself. The Onstar LED is now solid green and all is good.

agreif is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS DI AWD

thanks for the update, man that would be a lot of work just for that antenna!

Quote Originally Posted by agreif View Post
    thanks for the update, man that would be a lot of work just for that antenna!
    I guess once you do it once, the second time seems a lot quicker....... at least I didn't have to replace the module this time!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.