2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Thanks for the updates... I just ordered Onstar 8.1 from GMPartsDirect. I will post a flip video of the install ...
    matthayes3741 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 14 CTSV Wagon (past 13 SRX-4 Prem, 08 CTS, 05 Escalade EXT)

Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

Thanks for the updates... I just ordered Onstar 8.1 from GMPartsDirect. I will post a flip video of the install (fast fwd'ed when slow). Can someone get a copy of the actual Onstar setup and TIS2Web procedure and either email it to me, upload it or post it. My uncle is bringing his tech2 and has the active TIS2Web but needs to know if he'll need to bring his docking station or if his Tech2 is up-to-date? Either way, can someone find me the setup procedure for this?

Thanks ewill3rd, my uncle is coming out for the wedding and will be setting it up for me, so he won't be logged in elsewhere.

agreif is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS DI AWD

So we (you guys) figured out that you don't need a previously active Onstar module for this to work. You can start with a brand new unit?

Well I'm about to find out...

Gramzster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, 2007 DTS, 2011 DTS

Smile Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

Well, I thought I'd give you guys an update.

I found that my local repair shop had a Tech2 subscription and access to the TIS2WEB service.

Took my car in and they performed the "ONSA TIS2WEB OnStar Pass-Through Activation" on the car. For the next day, my OnStar light was alternating between red and green.

Called up OnStar and (as expected,) my car was still recognized as a 2009. Spoke to a Tech Support Representative and I decided to activate OnStar at the same time. I provided the tech with my VIN and the tech sent the programming to my car. Within 5 minutes he came back on the phone and said it was complete!

The OnStar module is now associated to my car and everything's working the way it should. I just received the Diagnostic Report and all is good! It showed my car was a 2008 CTS with MY VIN!

So a word of advice: If you decide to go ahead with this, MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THROUGH! Contact your dealership and find out if they are willing to perform the ONSA Onstar Activation (either using the Tech2 or Possibly through an OnStar Tech Advisor... if they're willing to do that).
    Next, call OnStar and have the module associated to your VIN. If not, you module will still appear as it came from the donor vehicle (if you bought a used unit) and that may limit your ability to use OnStar's service. Although you may not have a problem with that, don't forget it will also affect whoever you may sell the car to in the future. Not having the module correctly associated problems can limit the ability to use OnStar features, such as turn-by-turn directions, remote door unlock, diagnostic reports, etc.

Thanks Gramzster! I am very excited for this! I still need or would REALLY like a copy of the "ONSA TIS2WEB OnStar Pass-Through Activation" procedure. Did you watch the dealer or shop do this? Do you think you could help me find a copy? I'm going to be doing this to mine soon and want to ensure I don't miss anything!

Thanks Gramzster!

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Very very cool. Nice work.

Still, if it were me, I would just install a parrot

jmmyk123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts

NICE man! i am still looking for a cheap onstar 8.1!

agreif is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS DI AWD

I'm giving the 8.0 a shot as well to see if it works, especially since I don't use Onstar for turn by turn directions, I don't think it will be an issue. Find out soon enough.

beebad3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just updated my Onstar to a 8.0 added the Bluetooth antenna took it to work (I work at a chevy dealer) one of the techs went in with the tech 2 and did a set up the bluetooth showed enabled on the tech 2, However i have not see any signs that the bluetooth is working I push the steering wheel speech button and say bluetooth (that is how we pair the new chevys) and it responds try another command. Am I doing something wrong here thanks guys.

Gramzster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, 2007 DTS, 2011 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by beebad3 View Post
    I just updated my Onstar to a 8.0 added the Bluetooth antenna took it to work (I work at a chevy dealer) one of the techs went in with the tech 2 and did a set up the bluetooth showed enabled on the tech 2, However i have not see any signs that the bluetooth is working I push the steering wheel speech button and say bluetooth (that is how we pair the new chevys) and it responds try another command. Am I doing something wrong here thanks guys.
    As the car has its own voice recognition system (For the nav / radio), you need to say "Handsfree" first.

Press the Speech Button
    Say "Handsfree" (car will respond with "Ready")
    Then say "Bluetooth"

When you want to make a call you need to say "Handsfree", then "Dial"

st4422 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Black Ice, 2009 CTS DI Thunder Gray

Quote Originally Posted by beebad3 View Post
    From the manual:

Pairing a Phone
    1. Press and hold (the speech button) for two seconds:
    • For vehicles without a navigation system, the system responds with “Ready” followed by a tone.
    • For vehicles with a navigation system, the system responds with a tone. After the tone say “Hands Free”. The system responds with “Ready” followed by a tone.
    2. Say “Bluetooth”. The system responds with “Bluetooth ready” followed by a tone.
    3. Say “Pair”. The system responds with instructions and a four digit PIN number. The PIN number will be used in Step 4.
    4. Start the Pairing process on the cell phone that will be paired to the vehicle. Reference the cell phone manufacturers user guide for information on this process.
    Locate the device named “General Motors” in the list on the cellular phone and follow the instructions on the cell phone to enter the four digit PIN number that was provided in Step 3.
    5. The system prompts for a name for the phone. Use a name that best describes the phone. This name will be used to indicate which phone is connected. The system then confirms the name provided.
    6. The system responds with “<Phone name> has been successfully paired” after the pairing process is complete.
    7. Repeat Steps 1 through 7 for additional phones to be paired.

jw38 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by matthayes3741 View Post
    CSalmon,

I think I found you on another forum...
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/off-...alanche-2.html

I'm guessing you are jw38?
    Nope...that's me...on both forums! Nice catch!! And it's nice to have Bluetooth capability in my CTS!!!

lol, thanks JW38. It seemed a little weird the similarity between the pictures there and here!

beebad3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I think I may have another problem when I push the speach butten the little microphone turns yellow in the nav screen and is listeing when I say hands free it just says ( say another command). I just added the nav system to my car i wonder if the microphone is different as well as it is not reconizing voice command other than if I tell it to dial from Onstar that works any ideas.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.