2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by ewill3rd I think it gives them a lot greater flexibility since most of the Navigation voice features ...
    csalmon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS AWD 3.6, 2008 CTS AWD 3.6 (Past), 2008 STS-V (Past)

Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    I think it gives them a lot greater flexibility since most of the Navigation voice features are controlled through OnStar already. (there is only one microphone and it is connected to the OnStar module)
    The Nav radio in the STS with BT was really kind of crummy. The BT OnStar modules are a lot more reliable for BT operation than the radios were, not sure who's fault that was but it is true.

The OnStar module is already an integrated cell phone, not that you are using that portion of it but I think the issue is that it is already programmed for the audio system interrupt and set to process the incoming and outgoing audio signals by design.
    I am sure that makes BT integration really simple.
    (another reason why it is kind of silly not to offer it .... these days.... as standard equipment)

I can vouch for that, my STS BT was completely crappy. Half the time it would not even connect. This one is much better!

wiz1der is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6DI FE2 Perf Package

Does anyone know if this module is available from anywhere other than nordstroms at that price?

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

I think there was a great deal of resistance from the entity of OnStar at first on this. I do belive that they wanted people to use their hands free calling feature rather than provide them with an on board system that doesn't require use of the OnStar system at all. I think consumer demand actually pushed this over the top.
    If that is true it seems ironic that they would integrate it into the OnStar unit.
    With all the laws popping up for a hands free requirement it should almost be a standard feature.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    With all the laws popping up for a hands free requirement it should almost be a standard feature.
    Like I said, I am sure that will be the case very soon. Driver safety has made alot of feature standard over the years (seatbelts, airbags, anti-lock brakes, stability control) I am sure handsfree will be the next step. Even though I maintain that a handsfree phone call is no safer than holding the phone to one's ear. What good is having both hands on the wheel if your attention is on the phone call and not the road?

I rarely make calls in the car. Mostly just answering calls from my wife who is looking for status updates on my home arrival time I only got used to handsfree in the car because of my years driving stick shift. Remember bag phones? That was my first handsfree. It was built right into the handset.

matthayes3741 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 14 CTSV Wagon (past 13 SRX-4 Prem, 08 CTS, 05 Escalade EXT)

not to cause a bump, but Gramzter, please let us know the outcome of getting it programmed at the dealership and talking to Onstar, as I will not consider trying this until you've confirmed that is working. Thanks!

gm85 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, 2007 DTS, 2011 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by matthayes3741 View Post
    not to cause a bump, but Gramzter, please let us know the outcome of getting it programmed at the dealership and talking to Onstar, as I will not consider trying this until you've confirmed that is working. Thanks!
    Don't worry I will. As I said on the other page, my car is going in on the 6th to have this done, so I'll let you know the results once I get it back.

Unhappy Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

Well I just got a call from the dealership. They use an outside company for handling GM electronics components.

Even though this was a non-warranty issue, they are very "by-the-book" and were not willing to program the module for me because of the engineering bulletins released by GM advising techs not to do so.

I wish they would have at least tried. Heck, even if the module became damaged in the process, it would have only cost me $65 in the long-run.

Anyways, so I have a few options:
    • Leave it as-is.... enjoy the bluetooth; and forget about onstar right now
    • Call up onstar and see if they can do the programming from their end (more hoops to go through)
    • Try to find another automotive repair shop in town that has a TECH2 and TIS2WEB subscription. I have the bulletin, just need someone with the tools and willingness to do so.
    Oh well. This definitely is a YMMV situation. Csalmon mentioned he had sucess, so it most-likely depends on the relationship you have with your dealership.

EDIT: Some good news, however is the quirk related to the "stabilitrack off" message was NOT caused the the OnStar module, but a faulty battery. My battery died last thursday due to the cold weather and the same messages came up "stabilitrack off", "traction control off", "low battery".

lugan79 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

This is not a bad solution for people that are just looking to add bluetooth. The third party equipment pretty much are the same concept remove the onstar module as well.

Thanks for the updates...

No Problem,
    I'm still going to keep at it though. I picked up the car about an hour ago and spoke to the service representative.

He mentioned that the technician WANTED to do it, but that GM has placed a restriction on the "software update" that reprograms the module.

(Now if I'm not mistaken, GM has placed restrictions on the OnStar HARDWARE module..... which I already have installed in the car).

Reconfiguring the module involves using the "VCIM-Vehicle Communication Interface Module Setup" and "ONSA-OnStar Activation" options using the TIS2WEB Service Programming System.

Now I'm not a tech, but I guess if the system is able to detect the module, it should be able to program it.

I would probably try another dealer. It's the same process they would need to follow if they took a brand new module off the shelf and put it in your car.

Seems like it would cause more grief for for everyone by not doing the setup and linking it to your vehicle. Possible future warranty problems, possible liability issues related to the module having a different vin, lost onstar revenue because it excludes you from being able to subscribe. The setup only took a few minutes, you would think they would want the hour of labor they will probably charge for it.

jmmyk123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts

i am still trying to find an onstar 8.1 anyone know of any places that have it in stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Gramzster View Post
    Well I just got a call from the dealership. They use an outside company for handling GM electronics components.

Even though this was a non-warranty issue, they are very "by-the-book" and were not willing to program the module for me because of the engineering bulletins released by GM advising techs not to do so.

I wish they would have at least tried. Heck, even if the module became damaged in the process, it would have only cost me $65 in the long-run.

Anyways, so I have a few options:
    • Leave it as-is.... enjoy the bluetooth; and forget about onstar right now
    • Call up onstar and see if they can do the programming from their end (more hoops to go through)
    • Try to find another automotive repair shop in town that has a TECH2 and TIS2WEB subscription. I have the bulletin, just need someone with the tools and willingness to do so.
    Oh well. This definitely is a YMMV situation. Csalmon mentioned he had sucess, so it most-likely depends on the relationship you have with your dealership.

EDIT: Some good news, however is the quirk related to the "stabilitrack off" message was NOT caused the the OnStar module, but a faulty battery. My battery died last thursday due to the cold weather and the same messages came up "stabilitrack off", "traction control off", "low battery".
    Gram, CSalmon,

Could you post the bulletin or if you have the procedure to do the Onstar module setup? I have a Tech2 and Tisweb subscription coming to my house in May (Uncle's bringing it to the wedding) and am going to set it up.

I may end up reverting to having my uncle order it and bring it as well, however it's like $219 from his end. I was hoping to find it cheaper.

Lastly, what (if any) problems have you had since installing it, how long did they last and are all the quirks gone? I ordered the cigblue BT with the lockpick ultimate and hate it. Over the last two weeks I have found myself just disconnecting the BT and using my earpiece. I am considering the BlueStar (CoStar) module, but enjoy having OnStar so far. Thanks

CSalmon,

I think I found you on another forum...
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/off-...alanche-2.html

I'm guessing you are jw38?

CSalmon,

I think I found you on another forum...
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/off-...alanche-2.html

I'm guessing you are jw38?
    No that's not me but so similar that it is really weird!

Gram, CSalmon,

Could you post the bulletin or if you have the procedure to do the Onstar module setup? I have a Tech2 and Tisweb subscription coming to my house in May (Uncle's bringing it to the wedding) and am going to set it up.

I may end up reverting to having my uncle order it and bring it as well, however it's like $219 from his end. I was hoping to find it cheaper.

Lastly, what (if any) problems have you had since installing it, how long did they last and are all the quirks gone? I ordered the cigblue BT with the lockpick ultimate and hate it. Over the last two weeks I have found myself just disconnecting the BT and using my earpiece. I am considering the BlueStar (CoStar) module, but enjoy having OnStar so far. Thanks
    I will try to find the procedure in the manual and post it in a bit.

I am going on about a month of service now and have had zero problems with this. My onstar works perfectly when I use the blue button and my online vehicle diagnostics are good and 100% accurate to my vehicle. Of course, bluetooth works perfectly too.

I must again stress that if you think about doing this, think it all through and talk to the dealer about it first to make sure they will help! It will not work properly without doing the dealer program and onstar activation when you are done. If one dealer won't do it, try another. You are setting yourself up for future issues if you do not complete the two programming steps to complete the setup.

Good luck!

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

The Tech 2 has a special function under the VCIM menu under body called "OnStar setup".
    This will apply to most years but not all.

If the "setup" is done with a scan tool it will remove the option configuration error code and turn the light green.
    The TIS2WEB procedure is only required as an automated activation procedure.
    You CAN press the blue OnStar button after the setup is complete and have an advisor configure it manually, the TIS2WEB activation is kind of an option.
    (I didn't tell you that )

As a PS... the call might go through to the OnStar Dealer center... there is where you might hit the wall.
    If the unit was previously active it might just go to the OnStar call center and you'll get a regular advisor.
    At any rate, they still might not help you... I just wanted to clarify the TIS issue.

As another PS, if your relative gives you access to TIS, then he might likely be giving you a log in to gmglobalconnect.
    If that is the case, be aware that password changes are forced every 90 days, if someone else is using that login you'll lock their account if you try to use it after a password change. Also if they are using the same account and you log in to do programming using TIS, you might just knock them off the server in the middle of a job and cause some serious issues.... just something to remember.
    I think there are other ways to access TIS, but I don't know them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.