2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success - Page 21
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by wmupilot The remote link should work. The antenna that isn't hooked up is just for the GPS. ...
    jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by wmupilot View Post
    The remote link should work. The antenna that isn't hooked up is just for the GPS. The remote link works through cellular. My remote ink app on my iPhone worked great with that setup.
    Thanks for the info. I tried to login to the app but it tells me that my car is not compatible... OnStar told me that there was nothing they could do so I cancelled for good. (called twice too...once after the reprogram) The remote start works in my office/home anyway.

excellencemike is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    Reference Info (borrowed from ChiltonLibrary.com)

- 2008 Cadillac CTS OnStar wiring diagram/schematic: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2861...1-am-197k?da=y

- 2009 Cadillac CTS OnStar wiring diagram/schematic: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2861...1-am-162k?da=y
    RAB and all I ave a 08 cts and looking at the schematics the only thing I see in the 09 wiring offering Bluetooth is where the dual radio controls are on the lower left, anyone know how or what could do to add Bluetooth to my cts. My escalade had it which was totaled thanks

LEOinDC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS4 DI Perf Crystal Red, '12 CTS-V Coupe Black Diamond

My experience with OnStar tech support was the equivalent of calling your local cable company for assistance - monkeys reading from a script.

They are inflexible and firm about not willing to reassign the station ID of salvaged units to your car. (Interestingly, they have a department for hardware changes.)

I used a salvaged GEN 8.2 from a 2010 CTS in my 2008 CTS4. Lindsay Cadillac did the setup programming just fine. Everything works perfectly: no red lights, great bluetooth, GPS, remote unlock, remote horn & lights - even the monthly emailed maintenance reports. I also requested the OnStar cell system be given a new number to reflect my local area code and they did that along with 500 complimentary minutes.

But they simply refuse to re-associate salvaged modules to your actual car so it reports the donor vehicle VIN and model year.

Go figure.

10s1m0n01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 2008 AWD 3.6 DI with Nav

Quote Originally Posted by LEOinDC View Post
    I found p/n 20833148 with antenna and bracket at http://car-part.com/ for $65.00.
    Previously found p/n 20787642 with antenna and bracket on ebay for $135.00.

Contact the auto parts salvage sellers either by phone, if provided, or do an "Ask a question".
    Hi, im also looking for a GEN 8.1 or 8.2 module with bluetooth and struggling to find it. Anybody knows where i can order it ? I checked on car-part.com and did not find any

Xtant12 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-AWD DI ( Hot Lava Edition )

Hello all, I got a LG 22740876 module with bluetooth for 20.00 today at a junk year. Will this fit the 08 cts? It was out of a Equinox.

----------

If what Im reading from the one I bought it says FFCID is BEJLTGEN90L. So does that mean Gen 9???

Rufflyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Sedan

Wow, what a very complete and helpful thread this was. First off I have many thanks to Gramzter for getting things stated and his write-up. The pictures were a great step by step how-to. I swapped out the gen 7 VCIM part # 25828574 with one I got from a guy on the ole' inter-web which was a gen 8 part # 25990227. One exception to his write-up was that other than the blue tooth antenna, I did not hook up any of the other antennas, I placed a 50 dummy load on the onstar cell phone lug and left the others disconnected. I replaced the little black box of an antenna on the roof with a higher gain collinear cell phone antenna that is connected to my 3 watt cell phone booster. I followed his guidance and now have blue tooth on my 2008 CTS base. In fact thanks to the info on this forum, I now have extended coverage cell phone use when I travel and a nice hands free voice controlled blue tooth to boot.
    I want to thank all who participated in this thread. It made my modification a success!

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Ruff,

Welcome to the forum! Glad fellow members were able to point u in the right direction! Good job!

Marv

Generation 9 does not work.

im tired of messing around with this. I have been trying to get the 8.0 version but its frickung impossible.

I went to dealer today. I ordered the 8.2 version from GMdirectgiant.com for 270.00 shipped. I bought the Bluetooth antenna from amazon for 20.00 shipped.

The dealer called GM, get this, the lady tried saying I will need new steering wheel buttons added and the entire car re programed. I know I will need the car programed but I dont need buttons im sure. Anyone know if thats true??

The dealer said once i get all the parts ( unit and antenna ) they will charge me 130.00 to tune the new vicm to the car. It sucks I had to spend this much for Bluetooth but I needed it..

my last 3 posts are not showing?

Anyone know why

Quote Originally Posted by Xtant12
    my last 3 posts are not showing?

Anyone know why
    Not sure but I do see three posts from you in a row. (maybe there's a max there) Go ahead with the install...I can tell you that you do not have to replace anything else to get it to work. Although the newer steering wheel buttons show a phone symbol, it has nothing to do with functionality. As for programming, its ONLY for Onstar. You MAY lose onstar like I did but i was going to cancel anyway. It depends if you have a GPS port on your new VCIM...I did not. It will not cause your GPS to stop working either as it is just for Onstar. Good luck and take your time!

Rufflyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Sedan

Update on blue tooth mod..... I was able to find the 2009 CTS owners manual and programmed the voice activated feature today. I stored a few names stored a few phone numbers, placed a few calls to test the volume control and was also able to end the call with the steering wheel controls as described in the 2009 manual... I AM ONE HAPPY CAMPER!
    Again all the credit belongs to you guys on the forum.

joekitch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

monitoring this thread....
    mostly because the gen 8 onstar unit has the ability to interface with that onstar remotelink app, meaning remote start capabilities over the 3g network

however, did the 2008 CTSes with remote start already have a gen 8 onstar unit? or did they also have gen 7?

Quote Originally Posted by joekitch
    monitoring this thread.... mostly because the gen 8 onstar unit has the ability to interface with that onstar remotelink app, meaning remote start capabilities over the 3g network however, did the 2008 CTSes with remote start already have a gen 8 onstar unit? or did they also have gen 7?
    Only the later production 08 models...

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
    monitoring this thread....
    mostly because the gen 8 onstar unit has the ability to interface with that onstar remotelink app, meaning remote start capabilities over the 3g network

however, did the 2008 CTSes with remote start already have a gen 8 onstar unit? or did they also have gen 7?
    Further to Jeff's post above...
    June 2007 to early March 2008-produced '08 model year CTS's were factory equipped with Gen 7 OnStar units.
    Late March 2008 to May/June 2008-produced '08 model year CTS's and all '09 and '10 model year CTS's were factory equipped with Gen 8 OnStar units.
    All '11 and newer model year CTS's were/are equipped with Gen 9 OnStar units.

As for the Gen 9 OnStar unit, a copy/paste from Wikipedia:
    Hardware
    GM is currently deploying OnStar Generation 9 hardware that includes enhanced services and diagnostics and the ability to use the mobile application, RemoteLink, which allows a subscriber to perform many functions without the need for calling into the OnStar center. Functions include remote start, remote lock and unlock, flashing lights and horn as well as viewing up-to-date diagnostics data from the subscriber's iPhone or Android-powered mobile phone. OnStar hardware is currently only manufactured by LG Electronics as of 2011, although early models were made by Hughes for Gen 1, Delphi, for Gen 2 and Motorola for Gen 4 to Gen 6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnStar

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.