2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success - Page 20
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Here are the bluetooth VCIMs that fit the 2008 - 2010 CTS without any modifications: This is the Gen 8.0 ...
    LEOinDC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS4 DI Perf Crystal Red, '12 CTS-V Coupe Black Diamond

Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

Here are the bluetooth VCIMs that fit the 2008 - 2010 CTS without any modifications:

This is the Gen 8.0 VCIM: (Shown without the bluetooth antenna attached)

This is the Gen 8.1 VCIM:

This is the Gen 8.2 VCIM:

This is the bracket used to mount the VCIM behind the glovebox in 2009 and newer cars:

All of these VCIMs swap out wire for wire with no alterations.
    The Gen 8.1 and Gen 8.2 VCIMs are the best.
    The Gen 8.0 VCIMs had communication issues and should be avoided.
    The Gen version is indicated by the first three characters of the model number.
    The original Gen 7.0 VCIMs show TX power output of 3 watts. All subsequent bluetooth VCIMs show TX power output of 0.6 watts.

P/N 25990227 - Gen 8.0
    P/N 20787642 - Gen 8.1
    P/N 20833148 - Gen 8.2
    (supersedes all previous bluetooth versions)

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by LEOinDC
    Here are the bluetooth VCIMs that fit the 2008 - 2010 CTS without any modifications:

This is the Gen 8.0 VCIM: (Shown without the bluetooth antenna attached)

This is the Gen 8.1 VCIM:

This is the Gen 8.2 VCIM:

This is the bracket used to mount the VCIM behind the glovebox in 2009 and newer cars:

All of these VCIMs swap out wire for wire with no alterations.
    The Gen 8.1 and Gen 8.2 VCIMs are the best.
    The Gen 8.0 VCIMs had communication issues and should be avoided.
    The Gen version is indicated by the first three characters of the model number.
    The original Gen 7.0 VCIMs show TX power output of 3 watts. All subsequent bluetooth VCIMs show TX power output of 0.6 watts.

P/N 25990227 - Gen 8.0
    P/N 20787642 - Gen 8.1
    P/N 20833148 - Gen 8.2 (supersedes all previous bluetooth versions)
    Great info but I still cannot find the part anywhere. Do you know where I could get one from?

LEOinDC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS4 DI Perf Crystal Red, '12 CTS-V Coupe Black Diamond

I found p/n 20833148 with antenna and bracket at http://car-part.com/ for $65.00.
    Previously found p/n 20787642 with antenna and bracket on ebay for $135.00.

Contact the auto parts salvage sellers either by phone, if provided, or do an "Ask a question".

wmupilot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 DI, NAV, FE2

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
    Great info but I still cannot find the part anywhere. Do you know where I could get one from?
    I have one for sale. Worked great in my 08 3.6 DI AWD. I just traded it in for a new SRX and uninstalled the unit. It is a 2011 unit PN# 22739392. This will also let you have OnStar Mylink capability. Shoot me a PM for more info.

$100 plus shipping

Quote Originally Posted by wmupilot View Post

I have one for sale. Worked great in my 08 3.6 DI AWD. I just traded it in for a new SRX and uninstalled the unit. It is a 2011 unit PN# 22739392. This will also let you have OnStar Mylink capability. Shoot me a PM for more info.

$100 plus shipping
    PM sent...Thanks!

doradeann is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Awesome information. Thanks Leo. Very clear and concise, thanks.

Dora and Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Gramzster
    Remove the old VCIM (The Hard Part).
    Now that we know the Gen 8 VCIM is working with the car, it’s time to remove the Gen 7 VCIM.

Before doing this step, take a break.... have a drink.... walk the dog.... Seriously because after doing this, I was pretty frustrated (as mentioned it took me 4 hours to remove it).

You may notice the VCIM is mounted to a black plastic tray. The front of the VCIM is held in by two clips and the rear is held by a bolt.

First, try loosening the nut from the bolt. As the bolt is mounted to the tray (and not the frame) there’s a good chance that the bolt will turn with the nut. (If not, loosen the nut, swap the VCIMs and tighten the nut to secure the new VCIM. If that’s the case, you really lucked out and are done this step).

Now, if you look in your trunk, you will notice a hole in the trunk that is nearby the location of the bolt. However, the bolt is offset enough that using a screwdriver through the hole will not work to stop the bolt from turning.

(I’ve indicated the Bolt’s approximate location with an arrow).

Now, as metioned, the tray is bolted down using 5 bolts. 4 are towards the front of the tray, and 1 is at the rear, between the VCIM and subwoofer. Unfortunately, the rear bolt has a cap on it and is next-to-impossible to remove due to the position of the bolt and the closeness of the rear window.

If you remove the front 4 nuts (while leaving the rear nut in place), you will notice you can lift the tray slightly. There may be some adheasive that is holding the tray down as well.

In order to access the bolt under the VCIM, I had to improvise. I taped a wrench to a paint stick, lifted the tray, and slid the paint stick under the tray towards the bolt (of course, having a long wrench could help if you had that in your posession). I had somone shine a flashlight through the hole in the trunk so I could get a better view. It took a few tries, but I was eventually able to snag the bolt.

At this point, loosen the bolt and remove the module.

Install the new module, and attach the bluetooth antenna, as shown below

Re-Insert the OnStar fuse and test out the module again. As mentioned before, this is the time where my console restarted, however that may have been due to the car recognizing the module, the module configured for parameters the car did not understand, or my car’s battery running low.

If all is okay, reverse these steps to place the car back together again.

Don't Forget

Make sure all nuts are tightened down

The Rear-Self may some playing with to get back into place.

The interior trim needs to be reattached to the rubber clips (and also needs to playing with as well to get the clips to snap into the frame). Don't forget to slide the trim panel behind the rubber trim that surrounds the door.

When putting the rear-seat cushion back into the car, there is a small hook on the back of the cushion. Line this up with the back of the seat, push back, then push down on the cushion.

Finally, re-insert the Airbag Fuses.

At this point, the VCIM and Bluetooth install are now complete!

At this point, you will need to take the car to the dealership to have the module programmed. If you got it from a 2009 CTS, 95% of the parameters probably work with the 08 cts as well, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. The Dealership will use a Tech II to configure the device to fully work with your car. Ths process the Dealership needs to perform is the “OnStar Setup Procedure”

Next, you will need to call OnStar and speak with a technical support advisor. As you probably bought the module from a salvaged vehicle, the Station ID is used by OnStar’s network to identify your car, and it will be associated with the previous vechile. Mention to OnStar that you replaced the module and you had the dealership program the module for your vechile. At this point they will associate the Station ID of the VCIM to your vehicle’s VIN. If you have OnStar already, this also means your account will be associated with the new module. (Your dealership may do this step for you as part of the setup procedure)

Once you complete these last two steps, you’re finished!
    Thanks to you, I installed my new vcim in about an hour and a half from start to finish! Minus the break per your instructions Thank you for posting this, it was a huge help! Now to go to the dealer for programming...will make the appointment Monday.

RAB
    RAB is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
    Thanks to you, I installed my new vcim in about an hour and a half from start to finish! Minus the break per your instructions Thank you for posting this, it was a huge help! Now to go to the dealer for programming...will make the appointment Monday.
    Congrats jeffc83, well done. Glad to hear you received the VCIM and installed it without a hitch.
    I must call Gramzster one of these days (he lives in the same town as I do) and tell him to have a peek at this thread - I believe it has the greatest number of views of any thread in this 2nd gen CTS forum. FYI.. Gramzster hasn't posted in the Cadillac forums since Sept 2012, and I don't know if he still owns his '08 CTS.

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post

Congrats jeffc83, well done. Glad to hear you received the VCIM and installed it without a hitch.
    I must call Gramzster one of these days (he lives in the same town as I do) and tell him to have a peek at this thread - I believe it has the greatest number of views of any thread in this 2nd gen CTS forum. FYI.. Gramzster hasn't posted in the Cadillac forums since Sept 2012 and I don't know if he still owns his '08 CTS.
    Thanks RAB, I was going to shoot you a pm about this too. I was wondering if he was still around...his detail saved me from breaking something several times I you could let him know, that would be great!

I'm certainly enjoying the Bluetooth...pairing was easy. The voice prompts seem better too but haven't played with it enough yet to see what really changed. Will my phone automatically connect when I start my car?

RAB
    RAB is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

^ Not a problem jeffc83, I will pass your comments on when I call him.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Bluetooth! Yes, your phone will automatically connect when you start your car.
    I believe you can pair up to 5 different phones, but on starting the car the system will attempt to connect to the first phone that was paired. Failing to achieve that it then tries to connect to the 2nd phone that was paired, and so on. Clever. When my wife and I go out in the car we generally both carry our cell phones, but the system always auto-connects to my phone, since my phone was the first to be paired. When Mrs RAB goes out in the CTS on her own, the system still initially auto-connects to my phone (with the CTS starting up in our garage), since my phone generally sits on the hall table inside the house not far from the garage door. The range for Bluetooth is pretty impressive.
    It's happened where my wife had driven off (with my phone intially connected to the car), drove about a mile and then returned after a few minutes to grab something she'd forgotten. In the meantime I had gotten on to a cell phone call after she had left. When the car came back within range (when the CTS entered our driveway) my call was suddenly and automatically transferred to the car for my wife to enjoy! That was certainly unexpected! Luckily I wasn't on a call with the girlfriend!

BTW.. when storing phone numbers and assigning a name tag to each number, I've found that the system better understands a 2-word name tag compared to a 1-word tag. For example I had the name tag of "home" stored for calling our home phone. I found the system often misunderstood the word "home", frequently guessing I was saying the word "help". What should have been a quick call home would become a voyage of discovery in the Help menu! Since changing the name tag from "home" to "home phone" I've had no further problems.

Quote Originally Posted by RAB
    ^ Not a problem jeffc83, I will pass your comments on to him when I call.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Bluetooth! Yes, your phone will automatically connect when you start your car.
    I believe you can pair up to 5 different phones, but on starting the car the system will attempt to connect to the first phone that was paired. Failing to achieve that it then tries to connect to the 2nd phone that was paired, and so on. Clever. When my wife and I go out in the car we generally both carry our cell phones, but the system always auto-connects to my phone, since my phone was the first to be paired. When Mrs RAB goes out in the CTS on her own, the system still initially auto-connects to my phone (with the CTS starting up in our garage), since my phone generally sits on the hall table inside the house not far from the garage door. The range for Bluetooth is pretty impressive.
    Thanks for the info as always! Now to get the VCIM programmed by the dealer so I can call onstar to activate it. (I'll then be able to take advantage of the remote link app) I sure hope they don't give me a hard time...

UPDATE: I have an appointment for next Friday for the usual oil change and hopefully for the programming of the VCIM. (the service manager said they've never heard of the OnStar setup procedure but would look into it before I get there next week) Has anyone had a difficult time getting the dealer to program the VCIM?

Update: I'm at the dealer now and am not surprised that they will not reprogram the VCIM. The service manager stated they are vehicle specific and was surprised that I even got it to work at all. He brought his lead tech out, which just smiled and said nope, can't reprogram them. I guess I can live without the OnStar working but I do wonder what would happen if my VCIM died? Hmmm.

Update 3: I got bored and asked again. This time I said what if my vcim died and the service manager was nice enough to call Cadillac to find out what to do. For $65.00, they reprogrammed the VCIM BUT it still shows the red light because I have a 2011 VCIM with a 2008 antenna. When I went to pay, they did not charge me for it...lol. Thanks to Fred Beans Cadillac for tying!

dekes1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

jeffc83, did you end up using the VCIM you bought from another member here on the forum or did you buy a new virgin VCIM?
    Reading through this post, it sounds like using new, unprogrammed VCIM works right off the bat (giving you onstar and MyLink).
    Can anyone else confirm that using a previously programmed 9.0 VCIM will require the dealership to reprogram but using a virgin unprogrammed 9.0 VCIM likely will not require dealership programming?

Quote Originally Posted by dekes1
    jeffc83, did you end up using the VCIM you bought from another member here on the forum or did you buy a new virgin VCIM?
    Reading through this post, it sounds like using new, unprogrammed VCIM works right off the bat (giving you onstar and MyLink).
    Can anyone else confirm that using a previously programmed 9.0 VCIM will require the dealership to reprogram but using a virgin unprogrammed 9.0 VCIM likely will not require dealership programming?
    I installed a used unit from another member. The issue with the 2011 VCIM (gen ??) is the antenna connection for the onstar GPS. I would need to install the shark fin antenna/wiring to get onstar working again. (dealer was able to program it just in case I do install the shark fin) So, I have Bluetooth but no onstar/remote link. Works for me because I never renewed onstar and my NAV system still worked after the install. Either way, Im sure you'll enjoy the Bluetooth feature.

Not sure about a new unit but did read here that someone received the "green light" for onstar after a few hours.

wmupilot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 DI, NAV, FE2
    The remote link should work. The antenna that isn't hooked up is just for the GPS. The remote link works through cellular. My remote ink app on my iPhone worked great with that setup.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.