2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by csalmon In summary: - Just look for the correct part number for your Onstar module: 25990227=gen 8, ...
    gm85 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, 2007 DTS, 2011 DTS

Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

Quote Originally Posted by csalmon View Post
    In summary:
    - Just look for the correct part number for your Onstar module: 25990227=gen 8, 20787642=gen 8.1 (vehicle and options don't matter)

- Take the car to the deal after installation and have them do an "Onstar setup procedure"

- Call Onstar and have them associate the module to your VIN
    Thanks for the information csalmon.

I'm going to take the car to the dealership, and I'll see if they'll get the VCIM programmed at the same time (my guess is that since this came from a 2009, most of the vehicle settings carrried over, but I'll still get it done).

Maybe I'll wait to get that done before calling OnStar to inform them I changed the module.

Does anyone have a copy of that TSB that was associated to the onstar recall? So far so good, but I just want to check.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    Excellent work guys!

I know there were some 08 CTSs that came with the new onstar. I just bought an 09, and know from my search, that I did find 2 08 CTSs with late 2008 manufacturing dates that did indeed have bluetooth.
    The switch-over date to Gen. 8 Hardware was April 21 2008. If you had a car built before that, it had gen 7 hardware. If you had a car built after, it had Gen 8. Hardware.

Of course, having Gen 8. Hardware doesn't necessairly mean you have Bluetooth. I know with the 09s, the car needed the Y44 seating package to have the Bluetooth-Enabled module. Otherwise, you get a Non-Bluetooth Gen 8. Module

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

The two I saw were premium package. It was the only two listings I saw that highlighted that the car had bluetooth.

I just found out I was wrong. On the 2009, it's included with the (PDP) CTS Luxury Collection, (PDQ) CTS Premium Collection or (PDR) CTS Performance Collection

Not sure if it's the same with Post April-21-08 2008 CTS's

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I am sure before long, bluetooth will start becoming standard on all cars. Especially with more and more cities passing handsfree laws.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Gramzster, great job!!
    Cheers
    RAB.

lugan79 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

Great work! Do you know if a 2008 SRX with nav and bose would be able to follow these steps and part numbers above and work? If not, what do I have to do different than a normal CTS install that is described above? Thanks

csalmon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS AWD 3.6, 2008 CTS AWD 3.6 (Past), 2008 STS-V (Past)

Quote Originally Posted by Gramzster View Post
    Thanks for the information csalmon.

I'm going to take the car to the dealership, and I'll see if they'll get the VCIM programmed at the same time (my guess is that since this came from a 2009, most of the vehicle settings carrried over, but I'll still get it done).

Maybe I'll wait to get that done before calling OnStar to inform them I changed the module.

Does anyone have a copy of that TSB that was associated to the onstar recall? So far so good, but I just want to check.
    I think you need to do the dealer program before you call Onstar. The module will still have the identity of the donor vehicle until the dealer does the setup.

Also, there is no Onstar recall. The TSB just addresses an issue with some radios not downloading the directions information properly from the Onstar unit. As a matter of fact, with the CTS I believe just updating the Nav software will correct the issue. Anyways, its TSB 08-08-46-003C.

Quote Originally Posted by lugan79 View Post
    Great work! Do you know if a 2008 SRX with nav and bose would be able to follow these steps and part numbers above and work? If not, what do I have to do different than a normal CTS install that is described above? Thanks
    Looking the GM parts catalog, it calls out the exact same Onstar module and references the exact same TSB for the 08 SRX. I can't say whether it would work or not but chances are, yes.

Another thing to note: When the dealer was doing the setup on the Tech II he did flip onto an options page that said "Bluetooth Communications - Enabled". This makes me think that the dealer has the ability to turn it on or off with the Tech II (if you have an Onstar module that supports it).

Thank you for looking that up for me. Do you know where the VCIM is located in the 2008 SRX? If not, can you point me in the direction where to find that out.
    So I should hunt for the 20787642. Do i need to add a bluetooth anntenna?
    Thanks.

csalmon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS AWD 3.6, 2008 CTS AWD 3.6 (Past), 2008 STS-V (Past)

From the service manual it looks to be behind the right rear interior trim panel.

Nordstrom's had told me that the blutooth antenna was not included however when the module arrived, it was duct taped to the bottom!
    Attached Files

I think you need to do the dealer program before you call Onstar. The module will still have the identity of the donor vehicle until the dealer does the setup.

Also, there is no Onstar recall. The TSB just addresses an issue with some radios not downloading the directions information properly from the Onstar unit. As a matter of fact, with the CTS I believe just updating the Nav software will correct the issue. Anyways, its TSB 08-08-46-003C.

Another thing to note: When the dealer was doing the setup on the Tech II he did flip onto an options page that said "Bluetooth Communications - Enabled". This makes me think that the dealer has the ability to turn it on or off with the Tech II (if you have an Onstar module that supports it).
    Good to know. I got a hold of OnStar last night and they were very polite, but also recommended (as a precaution) I have the module programmed by the dealer before changing the VIN that's associated with the module.

I have made an appointment at the dealer for some warranty work, and for them to program the module on Jan 6 (don't want it to conflict with Christmas & New Years activities). I'll also make note about that Tech II option regarding the Bluetooth Setting.

Good news is I have the NAV software update, so I don't need to worry about that.

By the looks of it, this wasn't as difficult as I expected, and the bluetooth part works great anyways.

Thanks

Thanks for the diagram! If I am not so lucky to have the antenna come with the module what is the part number for the antenna?
    I am so close to taking this project on. I cant wait and report to you guys how everrything went with the 08 srx switch out.

Quote Originally Posted by lugan79 View Post
    Thanks for the diagram! If I am not so lucky to have the antenna come with the module what is the part number for the antenna?
    Part number for the Bluetooth Antenna is: 15938939

Along with csalmon, I bought from nordstroms and while they were unable to acknowledge if the antenna was included, the antenna came duct-taped to the bottom of the module as well.

jw38 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Hello, I just came across this thread after completing the exact same upgrade with my 08 CTS as Gramzster. I work in the GM vehicle engineering center so I had some very good help to guide me through and maybe I can pass on some info that may help you guys.

First of all, I take no responsibility for anything outlined here. If these procedures screw up your Onstar or your CTS, don't blame me I'm only trying to help out here.

The Onstar module swap that was described in Gramzster's first post is spot on, but I wanted to also add some information about it. First of all if you complete the steps below, it does not matter which donor vehicle the module comes from, it also does not matter which options the donor vehicle had (mine was from an 09 Saturn VUE). The original Onstar module in my CTS was a gen 7 module with no bluetooth, after some research I found just like Gramzster that the 25990227 module was also used in 08s and was a Gen 8 module with bluetooth. I also found with some research and help from people here, that there was a service bulletin that called out a replacement for that module citing issues it may have communicating with the NAV system. The replacement for 25990227 is 20787642 and that module is an Onstar gen 8.1 module. This is the module I purchased from Nordstrom's on eBay and used for my upgrade (I think I paid $65).

After installing the module of your choice using Gramzster's excellent tutorial there are two additional steps to get the unit working as if it was stock.

First, take the car to a dealer and have them perform an "Onstar setup procedure" with the new module installed. This will associate the new module with your vehicle VIN and will calibrate the module to see all the specific options your vehicle has. Without doing this, you will experience all kinds of problems getting Onstar to work properly (including how Onstar communicates with the NAV system and displays things in your instrument cluster). This setup takes the dealer about 10 minutes max and I have no idea how much they will charge you for it (Mine did it no charge but YMMV).

Second, make the call to Onstar and tell them what you did. You need to ask them to associate your new module to your VIN because they will still see you calling as if you were in the donor vehicle (they thought I was calling from the VUE!). This took me about a half hour but may take you less time. When they are all done they will ask you to call back using the Onstar button and they will verify that they see you calling from your CTS.

That's it, my Onstar gen 8.1 works just like it was there from the factory and now has bluetooth!

In summary:
    - Just look for the correct part number for your Onstar module: 25990227=gen 8, 20787642=gen 8.1 (vehicle and options don't matter)

- Take the car to the deal after installation and have them do an "Onstar setup procedure"

- Call Onstar and have them associate the module to your VIN

(You need to do both steps or it will not work properly)

Good luck!
    Great post and great information! Unfortunately, Nordstrom's doesn't have any more of the Gen 8.1 modules in stock.

Anyone know where else they might be available from?

fritze18 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac CTS 6MT, 2008 Cadillac CTS 6MT

I'm curious; if the dealer and OnStar have to re-program these modules, then why do they have to come from donor vehicles? Why could you not just purchase a new VCIM from the parts department at your dealership?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.