2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success - Page 19
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 355
Like Tree5Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Does anyone know if this will work or who I can contact to get a module that will work for ...
  1. #271
    jkfcb01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    25
    Does anyone know if this will work or who I can contact to get a module that will work for adding Bluetooth to my 2008 that isn't so expensive? Thanks for the help!


    2011 CADILLAC CTS DTS BUICK LUCERNE BLUETOOTH MODULE GEN 9.0 VCIM 20951765 $225


    Jason

  2. #272
    David999 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    24

    Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

    2011 Tahoe VCIM (22794713) installed in 2007 Escalade. Install was easy however there was an extra blue GPS cable that didn't have a connection on back of new unit. Bluetooth perfect. OnStar red light.

    Dealer tried to program unit, but I don't think they know how. What is exact procedure...

    They connected Tech2 to vehicle and connected TIS terminal and selected OnStar Activation programming event using SPS. However, after entering 2007 Escalade, no VCIM comes up on scan tool. Obviously, with 2007 entered it does not look for Gen 7 or 8's... Should they have just used Tech2 and no TIS? What are exact instructions they can follow.... thanks.

  3. #273
    David999 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    24

    Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

    Figured out issue. 2011 VCIM can only be programmed by Techline SPS application, using procedures VCIM Vehicle Communication Interface module setup AND the ONSA-InStar Application. It can't be programmed with Tech2.

    With Tech 2 the only way to see it is to use model year 2011 as it is in a 2007 Escalade. 2007 MY doesn't detect it iin Tech2.

    So question is with SPS will it be possible to program a 2011 VCIM in a 2007 Escalade. If so what are the steps as we probably have to enter a different model year. Can this be done.

  4. #274
    sfv41901's Avatar
    sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Palmdale, Ca
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,250
    I don't think anyone has encountered ur problem so there may not be an answer yet. I'm sure if someone knows, they will chime in

  5. #275
    zach2011's Avatar
    zach2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    21
    Posts
    264

    Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

    Did the swap in my 2008. I now have Bluetooth and the OnStar remote start/lock/unlock/panic feature. Well worth the $150.

  6. #276
    jeffc83's Avatar
    jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by zach2011
    Did the swap in my 2008. I now have Bluetooth and the OnStar remote start/lock/unlock/panic feature. Well worth the $150.
    Where did you find the correct VCIM? I've been digging with no results...I have the same MY.

  7. #277
    Pdabs's Avatar
    Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    31
    Posts
    589
    I've been looking as well

  8. #278
    zach2011's Avatar
    zach2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    21
    Posts
    264

    Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

    I found mine on eBay. It came with the antenna as well as a mounting bracket which was already in my car.

  9. #279
    RAB's Avatar
    RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,942

    Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

    Quote Originally Posted by zach2011 View Post
    Did the swap in my 2008. I now have Bluetooth and the OnStar remote start/lock/unlock/panic feature. Well worth the $150.
    zach2011, OnStar's mobile app technology, RemoteLink, requires a Gen 9 VCIM, which was launched in m-y 2011 on most GM vehicles. Did you obtain a Gen 9 VCIM for your '08 CTS?

  10. #280
    jeffc83's Avatar
    jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post

    zach2011, OnStar's mobile app technology, RemoteLink, requires a Gen 9 VCIM, which was launched in m-y 2011 on most GM vehicles. Did you obtain a Gen 9 VCIM for your '08 CTS?
    Exactly my question...

    What's the part number? I'm going for the first one I can find!

  11. #281
    zach2011's Avatar
    zach2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    21
    Posts
    264

    Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

    Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    zach2011, OnStar's mobile app technology, RemoteLink, requires a Gen 9 VCIM, which was launched in m-y 2011 on most GM vehicles. Did you obtain a Gen 9 VCIM for your '08 CTS?
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
    Exactly my question...

    What's the part number? I'm going for the first one I can find!
    Yes, I purchased a VCIM that came from a 2011 CTS. The part number is 22739392.

  12. #282
    jeffc83's Avatar
    jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by zach2011

    Yes, I purchased a VCIM that came from a 2011 CTS. The part number is 22739392.
    Thanks. I was looking at part number 20951765, which is for a 2011 CTS. I'll keep on searching...

    Edit: After further investigating due to the conflict in part numbers, I've concluded that I HATE eBay...lol. The guy was trying to pass off a Buick VCIM for ours. I found one at GM parts giant but they have replaced it with part number 22796947 ($212.53) I'm wondering if it'll work...thoughts???

  13. #283
    LEOinDC's Avatar
    LEOinDC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS4 DI Perf Crystal Red, '12 CTS-V Coupe Black Diamond
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Age
    63
    Posts
    110

    Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

    Quote Originally Posted by matthayes3741 View Post
    Yes that is correct. Finding the unit is the hard part. Ordering at the dealership or even through GMPartsDirect will allow you to place the order, but they will never process it/send you one. I paid and bought one online, waited two/three months, even lost out on purchasing one from eBay at cheaper, thinking I would receive mine... GM will not send you one has been the experience for most of us. Find the unit, do the swap, enjoy your car!
    You are correct about being hard to get. I had the very same experience trying to order from all the well known GM parts outlets online. They allow the order to be placed but never fulfill it.

    I got lucky with eBay by trying a different approach. Instead of just doing a search for "OnStar module" (and similar variations including 'bluetooth' or the part number), I would contact each auto parts salvage seller result either by phone, if provided, or do an "Ask a question" and submit the following query using the "Other" selection:

    Could you kindly check with your resources for an ONSTAR w/BLUETOOTH VCIM GM p/n 20833148?
    This unit is compatible for use on the 2008, 2009, 2010 Cadillac CTS with no modifications.

    After only 24 hours, I received a reply from LATEMODELAUTOSALVAGE that they had a wrecked 2010 CTS with the exact part number match (including the BT antenna) with free shipping and eBay Buyer Protection for $135.00.

    After two years of fruitless Google/eBay searches, this method produced a positive result in just one day.

    YMMV

  14. #284
    jeffc83's Avatar
    jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by LEOinDC View Post
    You are absolutely correct about being hard to get. I had the very same experience trying to order from GMPartsDirect, GMPartsGiant and all the other well known GM parts outlets online. They allow the order to be placed but never fulfill it.

    I got lucky with eBay by trying a different approach. Instead of just doing a search for "OnStar module" (and similar variations including 'bluetooth' or the part number) and check each listing, I would contact every parts salvage seller that resulted either by phone, if provided, or do an "Ask a question" and submit the following query using the "Other" selection:

    Could you kindly check with your resources for an ONSTAR w/BLUETOOTH VCIM GM p/n 20833148?
    This unit is compatible for use on the 2008, 2009, 2010 Cadillac CTS with no modifications.

    After only 24 hours, I received a reply from LATEMODELAUTOSALVAGE that they had a wrecked 2010 CTS with the exact part number match (including the BT antenna) with free shipping and eBay Buyer Protection for $135.00.

    After two years of fruitless Google/eBay searches, this method produced a positive result in just one day.

    YMMV
    Thanks for the info. I stopped searching myself.

  15. #285
    doradeann is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Age
    49
    Posts
    4

    Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

    Quote Originally Posted by zach2011 View Post
    Yes, I purchased a VCIM that came from a 2011 CTS. The part number is 22739392.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
    Thanks. I was looking at part number 20951765, which is for a 2011 CTS. I'll keep on searching...

    Edit: After further investigating due to the conflict in part numbers, I've concluded that I HATE eBay...lol. The guy was trying to pass off a Buick VCIM for ours. I found one at GM parts giant but they have replaced it with part number 22796947 ($212.53) I'm wondering if it'll work...thoughts???
    Quote Originally Posted by LEOinDC View Post
    You are correct about being hard to get. I had the very same experience trying to order from all the well known GM parts outlets online. They allow the order to be placed but never fulfill it.

    I got lucky with eBay by trying a different approach. Instead of just doing a search for "OnStar module" (and similar variations including 'bluetooth' or the part number), I would contact each auto parts salvage seller result either by phone, if provided, or do an "Ask a question" and submit the following query using the "Other" selection:

    Could you kindly check with your resources for an ONSTAR w/BLUETOOTH VCIM GM p/n 20833148?
    This unit is compatible for use on the 2008, 2009, 2010 Cadillac CTS with no modifications.

    After only 24 hours, I received a reply from LATEMODELAUTOSALVAGE that they had a wrecked 2010 CTS with the exact part number match (including the BT antenna) with free shipping and eBay Buyer Protection for $135.00.

    After two years of fruitless Google/eBay searches, this method produced a positive result in just one day.

    YMMV
    Hi Folks. Lots of great info here on your forum. Sounds like a bunch of nice folks too.

    I have a quick question for you all involved in this thread. We just bought a 2008 CTS. It has Nav and Bose but no bluetooth. Can you tall me which of the above part numbers will work for us? I see the part number 20833148 and 22796947 and 20951765,,,,,,,, Which one did you find successful? I am assuming we have the gen 7, having no bluetooth.

    Is there anything I can do to confirm all of this? Is there a way to research with a vin maybe?

    I read about 5 pages of this post and it seems the last two are the most informative. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting