2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success - Page 19
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Does anyone know if this will work or who I can contact to get a module that will work for ...
    jkfcb01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS
    Does anyone know if this will work or who I can contact to get a module that will work for adding Bluetooth to my 2008 that isn't so expensive? Thanks for the help!

2011 CADILLAC CTS DTS BUICK LUCERNE BLUETOOTH MODULE GEN 9.0 VCIM 20951765 $225

Jason

David999 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

2011 Tahoe VCIM (22794713) installed in 2007 Escalade. Install was easy however there was an extra blue GPS cable that didn't have a connection on back of new unit. Bluetooth perfect. OnStar red light.

Dealer tried to program unit, but I don't think they know how. What is exact procedure...

They connected Tech2 to vehicle and connected TIS terminal and selected OnStar Activation programming event using SPS. However, after entering 2007 Escalade, no VCIM comes up on scan tool. Obviously, with 2007 entered it does not look for Gen 7 or 8's... Should they have just used Tech2 and no TIS? What are exact instructions they can follow.... thanks.

David999 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Figured out issue. 2011 VCIM can only be programmed by Techline SPS application, using procedures VCIM Vehicle Communication Interface module setup AND the ONSA-InStar Application. It can't be programmed with Tech2.

With Tech 2 the only way to see it is to use model year 2011 as it is in a 2007 Escalade. 2007 MY doesn't detect it iin Tech2.

So question is with SPS will it be possible to program a 2011 VCIM in a 2007 Escalade. If so what are the steps as we probably have to enter a different model year. Can this be done.

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS
    I don't think anyone has encountered ur problem so there may not be an answer yet. I'm sure if someone knows, they will chime in

zach2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior

Did the swap in my 2008. I now have Bluetooth and the OnStar remote start/lock/unlock/panic feature. Well worth the $150.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by zach2011
    Did the swap in my 2008. I now have Bluetooth and the OnStar remote start/lock/unlock/panic feature. Well worth the $150.
    Where did you find the correct VCIM? I've been digging with no results...I have the same MY.

Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    I've been looking as well

I found mine on eBay. It came with the antenna as well as a mounting bracket which was already in my car.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by zach2011 View Post
    zach2011, OnStar's mobile app technology, RemoteLink, requires a Gen 9 VCIM, which was launched in m-y 2011 on most GM vehicles. Did you obtain a Gen 9 VCIM for your '08 CTS?

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post

zach2011, OnStar's mobile app technology, RemoteLink, requires a Gen 9 VCIM, which was launched in m-y 2011 on most GM vehicles. Did you obtain a Gen 9 VCIM for your '08 CTS?
    Exactly my question...

What's the part number? I'm going for the first one I can find!

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
    Exactly my question...

What's the part number? I'm going for the first one I can find!
    Yes, I purchased a VCIM that came from a 2011 CTS. The part number is 22739392.

Quote Originally Posted by zach2011

Thanks. I was looking at part number 20951765, which is for a 2011 CTS. I'll keep on searching...

Edit: After further investigating due to the conflict in part numbers, I've concluded that I HATE eBay...lol. The guy was trying to pass off a Buick VCIM for ours. I found one at GM parts giant but they have replaced it with part number 22796947 ($212.53) I'm wondering if it'll work...thoughts???

LEOinDC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS4 DI Perf Crystal Red, '12 CTS-V Coupe Black Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by matthayes3741 View Post
    Yes that is correct. Finding the unit is the hard part. Ordering at the dealership or even through GMPartsDirect will allow you to place the order, but they will never process it/send you one. I paid and bought one online, waited two/three months, even lost out on purchasing one from eBay at cheaper, thinking I would receive mine... GM will not send you one has been the experience for most of us. Find the unit, do the swap, enjoy your car!
    You are correct about being hard to get. I had the very same experience trying to order from all the well known GM parts outlets online. They allow the order to be placed but never fulfill it.

I got lucky with eBay by trying a different approach. Instead of just doing a search for "OnStar module" (and similar variations including 'bluetooth' or the part number), I would contact each auto parts salvage seller result either by phone, if provided, or do an "Ask a question" and submit the following query using the "Other" selection:

Could you kindly check with your resources for an ONSTAR w/BLUETOOTH VCIM GM p/n 20833148?
    This unit is compatible for use on the 2008, 2009, 2010 Cadillac CTS with no modifications.

After only 24 hours, I received a reply from LATEMODELAUTOSALVAGE that they had a wrecked 2010 CTS with the exact part number match (including the BT antenna) with free shipping and eBay Buyer Protection for $135.00.

After two years of fruitless Google/eBay searches, this method produced a positive result in just one day.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by LEOinDC View Post
    You are absolutely correct about being hard to get. I had the very same experience trying to order from GMPartsDirect, GMPartsGiant and all the other well known GM parts outlets online. They allow the order to be placed but never fulfill it.

I got lucky with eBay by trying a different approach. Instead of just doing a search for "OnStar module" (and similar variations including 'bluetooth' or the part number) and check each listing, I would contact every parts salvage seller that resulted either by phone, if provided, or do an "Ask a question" and submit the following query using the "Other" selection:

Could you kindly check with your resources for an ONSTAR w/BLUETOOTH VCIM GM p/n 20833148?
    This unit is compatible for use on the 2008, 2009, 2010 Cadillac CTS with no modifications.

After only 24 hours, I received a reply from LATEMODELAUTOSALVAGE that they had a wrecked 2010 CTS with the exact part number match (including the BT antenna) with free shipping and eBay Buyer Protection for $135.00.

After two years of fruitless Google/eBay searches, this method produced a positive result in just one day.

YMMV
    Thanks for the info. I stopped searching myself.

doradeann is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by zach2011 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
    Thanks. I was looking at part number 20951765, which is for a 2011 CTS. I'll keep on searching...

Edit: After further investigating due to the conflict in part numbers, I've concluded that I HATE eBay...lol. The guy was trying to pass off a Buick VCIM for ours. I found one at GM parts giant but they have replaced it with part number 22796947 ($212.53) I'm wondering if it'll work...thoughts???
    Quote Originally Posted by LEOinDC View Post
    You are correct about being hard to get. I had the very same experience trying to order from all the well known GM parts outlets online. They allow the order to be placed but never fulfill it.

I got lucky with eBay by trying a different approach. Instead of just doing a search for "OnStar module" (and similar variations including 'bluetooth' or the part number), I would contact each auto parts salvage seller result either by phone, if provided, or do an "Ask a question" and submit the following query using the "Other" selection:

YMMV
    Hi Folks. Lots of great info here on your forum. Sounds like a bunch of nice folks too.

I have a quick question for you all involved in this thread. We just bought a 2008 CTS. It has Nav and Bose but no bluetooth. Can you tall me which of the above part numbers will work for us? I see the part number 20833148 and 22796947 and 20951765,,,,,,,, Which one did you find successful? I am assuming we have the gen 7, having no bluetooth.

Is there anything I can do to confirm all of this? Is there a way to research with a vin maybe?

I read about 5 pages of this post and it seems the last two are the most informative. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.