2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success - Page 18
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by sfv41901 Gramzster or anyone who can help......... I have an 08 CTS w/Nav & no bluetooth. I ...
    tonyfort is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Former owner 2008 CTS

Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8.2 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Help.........cant pair

Quote Originally Posted by sfv41901 View Post
    Gramzster or anyone who can help.........

I have an 08 CTS w/Nav & no bluetooth. I got this VCIM out of a 2010 CTS w/o NAV ( not sure if it matters) & its Verision 8.2 (see pic below)

When I press the command button on the steering wheel, I get the yellow boarder around my nav screen, but it does not say "ready". I say "hands free", & the system responds w/"enter street" followed by "invalid command". I know this VCIM was working cause they seller paired it to his phone before I bought it. What gives.

Total speculation on my part, but there may be a difference in the unit in cars w/o nav. Does the rest of your voice recognition stuff work properly (entering street, other commands, etc.) with the new module?

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS

Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8.2 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Help.........cant pair

Yes. When I say onstar, it calls onstar. If I say track 11, it plays track 11. I haven't tried any nav voice commands.

weezedog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS

Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

From the owners manual:

For vehicles without a navigation
    system, the system responds with
    “Ready” followed by a tone.
    For vehicles with a navigation
    system, the system responds with
    a tone. After the tone, say “Hands
    Free.” The system responds with
    “Ready” followed by a tone.

It definitely should not say ready right away. Here's my guess on how it works. When you hold down the button, you get the prompt from the nav radio. At this point it is the radio doing voice recognition. When you say "Hands Free" the radio is programmed to switch you over to the onstar module, which takes over from there. It is possible that if you have a 08 nav radio and you have not updated the software version on it, it is still not programmed to recognize the "hands free" command. Do you know what nav software version your radio is running?

Quote Originally Posted by weezedog View Post
    Do you know what nav software version your radio is running?
    App verision: 1.02
    Database verision: 8.63

I think that's your problem,the latest version is 3.14 and even in 2009 i think there were on version 2.50. I doubt your car has been updated since it left the factory, 1.02 is way old. See if your dealership has an update CD, or else you might have to get the $199 nav disc update.

I pulled up my 2008 owner's manual. That manual says if you have nav, you have to say "Onstar" to access the onstar module. Do me a favor and say "Onstar" then "Bluetooth" and see if that works since your nav software is so out of date and it's not recognizing the "hands free" command.

weezedog, thx. That was it.

So to recap, here is what I did:

I have a 08 non-bluetooth CTS w/Nav verision 1.02
    I got a VCIM w/verision 2.0 from a 2010 CTS w/o Nav.

I followed the write up.
    Now to get my phone to pair, I had to do the following:

Press & hold the talk/speak button for a few seconds till the system responds with a tone.
    Say "onstar". System responds with "onstar ready"
    Say "bluetooth" Syatem responds with"bluetooth ready".
    Say "pair", then just follow the commands.

I paired my Thunderbold, had my wife call me & her number shows up on the DIC

I figured that would work!

billbrasky is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS-4 White Diamond / DI

If you go to gmpartsdirect.com and search for 20833148 (the 2010 module), it comes up with "Module" for $218.20. Is this the correct item for the 2010 Bluetooth Module? The 2009 part comes up "restricted" and the 2008 says "Eng Asm only shipped to fedex hub)...

The only way to get these is to find a donor car. GM will not just sell them to you nor will gmpartsdirect due to restrictions.......unless things have changed in the last few months.

loosend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI RWD w/ Prem & Perf Pkgs Blk/Blk FE2

Question Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

Quote Originally Posted by csalmon View Post
    The original Onstar module in my CTS was a gen 7 module with no bluetooth, after some research I found just like Gramzster that the 25990227 module was also used in 08s and was a Gen 8 module with bluetooth. I also found with some research and help from people here, that there was a service bulletin that called out a replacement for that module citing issues it may have communicating with the NAV system. The replacement for 25990227 is 20787642 and that module is an Onstar gen 8.1 module. This is the module I purchased from Nordstrom's on eBay and used for my upgrade (I think I paid $65).
    I'm late to the game as usual but I am trying to add the bluetooth VCIM 8.0 #25990227 to my 2008 CTS with NAV and the only VCIMs avalable are these. I was looking for three months so I bought it and there are a few more available as well on Ebay if anyone is interested. It is an unused/uninstalled unit and the seller is willing to refund my $$ since I alerted him that some of these were recalled but only if I have not attempted to have Onstar match it to my vehicle because he cannot sell it as an unused unit any longer. I cannot find any of the other suggested VCIM module numbers so I may be stuck with this one. Does anyone have any information about the manufaturing date of the #2590227 VCIMs to avoid so I can at least check if I have a decent one? Also, I was only going to use the bluetooth portion anyway and leave the Onstar unactivated so can I do this without having the red Onstar fault light on my mirror? Any advice would be appreciated and this writup is fantastic on how to R & R the module on the rear deck. Thanks everyone, Robert

Chances are that since the part & version #'s of these are the same as the affected units......these are the same units

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by loosend View Post
    I'm late to the game as usual but I am trying to add the bluetooth VCIM 8.0 #25990227 to my 2008 CTS with NAV and the only VCIMs avalable are these. I was looking for three months so I bought it and there are a few more available as well on Ebay if anyone is interested. It is an unused/uninstalled unit and the seller is willing to refund my $$ since I alerted him that some of these were recalled but only if I have not attempted to have Onstar match it to my vehicle because he cannot sell it as an unused unit any longer. I cannot find any of the other suggested VCIM module numbers so I may be stuck with this one. Does anyone have any information about the manufaturing date of the #2590227 VCIMs to avoid so I can at least check if I have a decent one? Also, I was only going to use the bluetooth portion anyway and leave the Onstar unactivated so can I do this without having the red Onstar fault light on my mirror? Any advice would be appreciated and this writup is fantastic on how to R & R the module on the rear deck. Thanks everyone, Robert
    Good morning Robert,

I checked into the resources I have and was unable to find out about the part numbers for VCIMs - I'm sorry about that! I am not sure if they would be able to disclose the information, but have you tried contacting Onstar about this already? They can be reached at 1.888.466.7827.

Best of luck!
    Sarah (Assisting Katie)
    Cadillac Customer Service
    loosend and loosend like this.

loosend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI RWD w/ Prem & Perf Pkgs Blk/Blk FE2

Thanks sfv41901 but I thought there were dates of manufacture to be wary of and the link in this thread no longer works that took you to a corvette site about the 8.0 VCIM. How about the other questions about the Onstar light being an issue? I'd be glad to have just the bluetooth working properly without the Onstar functionality but I don't want any Onstar mirror lights on. I thought the Onstar lights would just stay off until the Onstar is activated or attempted to be activated but I need this verified. If I ever sell the vehicle, I will swap the original VCIM back in if the buyer wants or they could attempt to get the 8.0 module activated.

Not 100% sure but I know that every time the car is turned on, the VCIM does a self diagnostic check.

That being said, I know that when I swapped mine it was previously hooked up so all I needed to do was have other info swapped. I'm not aware of anyone installing a new VCIM

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.