2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success - Page 16
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Only calls. I am nearly certain that the new gm cars that have streaming audio do it through a seperate ...
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Only calls. I am nearly certain that the new gm cars that have streaming audio do it through a seperate pdim module. I know that is how the camaro's works.

And the lousy part of that is if you want to stream music from your iPhone you are out of luck unless you are willing to give up handsfree.

jquijada is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 black cadillac cts

Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

Jimmy do you think BLUESTAR is better solution?

I am not qualified to say. I have not used galaxy or bluestar. I have read posts here from folks who have problems with the bluestar. And I have read posts from people who love it. You will have to make your own decision. Me personally, I would pay the $300 or whatever it is and try it out. If it didn't work, I would just write it off as another failed experiment. I think it's worth the stretch. But that's just me.

phigment is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS

Hello all. Ive read every page of this thread. I'm hoping somebody here can help me. I have a 2006 DTS. I got a VCIM from a 09 Impala and installed it in my car. The module works flawlessly except for one minor thing. My phone will not reconnect automatically when I reenter my car. I have to repair every time. I have a friend who is a GM tech. He brought his tech2 computer(thingy) and "programmed" my onstar module. I watched him do it. It took him less than one minute after connecting to the cars computer. When it was done my windshield wipers activated to confirm it was complete. Is this a true reprogramming or just some reprovisioning to onstar? The light on my rearview mirror is dark. Not red or green. I did press the phone button and it did connect me with an onstar advisor. I do not have onstar service. I just need the thing to reconnect to my phone(iPhone). If I have to repair every time I get in my car it wont be worth it. Ive tried a friends blackberry as well as an android phone. They all have the same results. Also, is there any voice command that will make the system tell me all the stored bluetooth devices? It will only tell me the one that is currently connected. I have no idea if the person before me paired their phones as well. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. PLEASE HELP ME.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

jquijada,

Unfortunately, this is not a feature that is offered with Bluetooth for you vehicle.

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by phigment View Post
    Hello all. Ive read every page of this thread. I'm hoping somebody here can help me. I have a 2006 DTS. I got a VCIM from a 09 Impala and installed it in my car. The module works flawlessly except for one minor thing. My phone will not reconnect automatically when I reenter my car. I have to repair every time. I have a friend who is a GM tech. He brought his tech2 computer(thingy) and "programmed" my onstar module. I watched him do it. It took him less than one minute after connecting to the cars computer. When it was done my windshield wipers activated to confirm it was complete. Is this a true reprogramming or just some reprovisioning to onstar? The light on my rearview mirror is dark. Not red or green. I did press the phone button and it did connect me with an onstar advisor. I do not have onstar service. I just need the thing to reconnect to my phone(iPhone). If I have to repair every time I get in my car it wont be worth it. Ive tried a friends blackberry as well as an android phone. They all have the same results. Also, is there any voice command that will make the system tell me all the stored bluetooth devices? It will only tell me the one that is currently connected. I have no idea if the person before me paired their phones as well. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. PLEASE HELP ME.

sounds to me like the module you installed is not retaining power to hold stored data (that data being paired phone information.) I would be willing to bet it's a problem with the module itself, not the programming or your car.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by phigment View Post
    . . . . I have a 2006 DTS. I got a VCIM from a 09 Impala and installed it in my car.
    . . . . Also, is there any voice command that will make the system tell me all the stored bluetooth devices? It will only tell me the one that is currently connected. I have no idea if the person before me paired their phones as well. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. PLEASE HELP ME.
    phigment, I've copied some info from the '09 Impala owner's manual (page 3-84) and pasted it below. If you want to read the entire section about Bluetooth (as was provided for the '09 Impala), here's the link to the owner's manual at chevrolet.com: http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/...ala_owners.pdf

Listing All Paired and Connected Phones
    1. Press and hold the "Mute/Push to Talk" button (called "Mute/Voice Recognition" button on the '06 DTS) on the steering wheel for two seconds. The system responds with “Ready” followed by a tone.
    2. Say “Bluetooth”. The system responds with “Bluetooth ready” followed by a tone.
    3. Say “List”. The system lists all the paired Bluetooth devices. If a phone is connected to the vehicle, the system will say “Is connected” after the connected phone.

Deleting a Paired Phone
    1. Press and hold the "Mute/Push to Talk" button on the steering wheel for two seconds. The system responds with “Ready” followed by a tone.
    2. Say “Bluetooth”. The system responds with “Bluetooth ready” followed by a tone.
    3. Say “Delete”. The system asks which phone to delete followed by a tone.
    4. Say the name of the phone to be deleted. If the phone name is unknown, use the “List” command for a list of all paired phones. The system responds with “Would you like to delete <phone name>? Yes or No” followed by a tone.
    5. Say “Yes” to delete the phone. The system responds with “OK, deleting <phone name>”.

My suggestion is to delete ALL paired phones in the system, and after that's done, pair your iPhone again, and only your phone. See how that goes for you.
    If you continue to have to do a 'repair' when entering the car then there obviously exists a problem that needs further troubleshooting. As JimmyH mentioned in his post, there may be be problem with power or memory retention on the module you have installed.
    Re Bluetooth operation, note that the OnStar module will always attempt to connect to the very first phone it was paired with.. and in failing to connect with that phone, proceeds to try to connect with other previously paired phones, in the same chrono sequence in which the phones were paired. Up to five cell phones can be paired to the in-vehicle Bluetooth system.

Thanks so much for info guys.

Elizabeth - I know it wasn't offered as an option on my car but God willing and given enough time it will work as if GM itself reached out and made it so.

Jimmy - This might be it. The module does retain the names and phone numbers I've stored. It also retains the name of the pairing for my phone. I know this because when I go to re-pair my phone I have to call it another name. If I try to call it the same name the computer responds "That sounds to much like.......". I have to assign it a different name and then delete my previous name.

Rab - Listing all paired and connected devices: I get through the prompts you posted but when I give the voice command "List" it says "Im sorry but no bluetooth devices are connected" or something very close to that. When I give the "Delete" command I receive the same response. The only way I can get "List" or "Delete" to provide a different dialogue is by pairing my phone first. I paired my phone again today and deleted my previously paired name. I tried using the Delete command followed by different names in the hopes that it might find some stored paired name that is close in nomenclature and ask me if I want to delete it. But that proved fruitless.

If I try to manually connect with my iphone, after exiting the vehicle and re-entering, my phone will show connected and then immediately go to unconnected. Ive read through many forums and found TSB# 08-08-46-008B. Since this VCIM came from an 09 Impala, does this seem likely? Also, if any of you are GM techs and have ever reprogrammed an onstar module, how long did it take once your computer started the reprogramming? I know its far fetched that ill ever find an answer to that but I have to ask. My friends computer did the programming in less than a minute. That seems fast to me. I thought it overwrote/reinstalled the current software on the vcim. I have no literature or evidence otherwise to support that. I asked my friend and he did not know. Maybe its just a small software patch and that is normal?

Is there specific way for me to test the power/memory retention of the module itself? If you guys have any feedback on something I can test or otherwise, please let me know. Again thanks for all the information. If I need to Ill purchase another VCIM.

****quick edit: The light on my mirror is off. Not green and not red. Its just like its been turned off. I can connect to onstar. As a test I pressed the button and it connected me with an onstar advisor who thought I was in a 2009 Impala. Is the light being off normal?

****quick edit#2: Confirmed that Onstar is version 8.0. This was done by holding down the phone button. Working off the assumption more info is better than less info?

there is def something fishy there. Does anyone know if the impala uses the same data bus that the CTS uses? I know GM has had several different iterations.

RAB

phigment, via ChiltonLibrary.com I've downloaded the OnStar wiring schematic (in .pdf format) for your 2006 Cadillac DTS, then uploaded it to my account at KeepandShare.com. For your ref/study here's a link to that file: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view...d=2857329&da=y

My thoughts are.. the wiring for OnStar that exists in your '06 DTS may not be quite compatible with the wiring requirements of the '09 Impala VCIM you have installed. I recommend you try to locate/download the OnStar system wiring schematic for a 2009 Impala and compare that drawing with the one I've provided here for your '06 DTS. Hopefully you may discover that moving or adding a wire or two in your DTS's OnStar wiring/circuitry will solve the problems you are facing. Good luck.

Rab - Wow.. I had no idea you could even find that on the net. Ill look for an 09 Impala schematic. At the top of the pdf you linked it shows "Onstar UE1". The module I got out of the Impala was also listed as a UE1 with option UPF. Ill dig for the 09 impala schematics. Ill post my findings as soon as I find them. I'm grateful guys. I really am. Thank you.

RAB

phigment, today I was finally able to select the '09 Impala at ChiltonLibrary.com and download the OnStar schematic.
    Here's my link to the schematic: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2858...6-am-167k?da=y

I had a quick look at both OnStar schematics ('06 DTS & '09 Impala) and I've noticed that on the '09 Impala schematic there is an auxiliary/back-up battery for the VCIM, and it is connected by way of a secondary power connection on the VCIM (an additional B+) via pins 13 & 14 of cable/connector "X1". I see no reference to an auxiliary VCIM battery on the '06 DTS OnStar schematic.
    The reconnection/pairing issues you're facing may be solved by installing the auxiliary battery that your ('09 Impala) model of VCIM calls for. I have no information as to what type of battery is needed or where it is normally installed (perhaps clipped to the side of the VCIM itself, or attached as an add-on to the X1 cable+connector assembly?).. however I suspect you can now find all of this out in short order at your Cadillac or Chevrolet dealer.

If your reconnection problem is not related to the back-up battery, it may turn out there's a wiring issue (the schematics will probably help) or a device compatability issue to resolve (eg. the use of an '09 Impala OnStar VCIM with an '06 DTS Rear View Mirror/OnStar Control & Indicator Assembly may be a no-go).

Good luck, and let us know how this goes for you.

EDIT: Since posting my original text above I've discovered thru an internet search that the auxiliary/ back-up battery for newer version VCIM's is provided for emergency purposes. The back-up battery comes into play when the vehicle is in an accident and the vehicle's main battery is destroyed or disconnected. Using the back-up battery in this situation the OnStar system can make an emergency call(s) to OnStar.
    In normal vehicle & OnStar operation, should the back-up battery fail/deplete or become disconnected from the system, a fault code will be (or should be) generated on the vehicle and a fault light should illuminate at the OnStar section of the rear view mirror.

Rab, the module I received actually came with the battery. There was no connection in my car for it in my car. I did some research based on the p/n on the battery itself and found the same information you did. I mulled it over in my mind and since the battery is not rechargeable I did not think they would allow anything to draw power from it. I did a great deal of testing last night and have made some observations.

1. If I pair my phone and then shut off my car and open my door(to kill power) and then immediately turn the power back on, the system will reconnect to my phone.
    2. If I pair my phone and then shut off my car and open the door(to kill power) and leave it for more than 1 minute, the system will not reconnect to my phone.

Could anybody please try this for me on one of your vehicles? Disable the bluetooth on your phone. One bluetooth is turned off, shut off your vehicle and leave it for at least 2 minutes. When you re-enter your vehicle (your bluetooth should be off and the VCIM should not have connected to it) enter your bluetooth options and try the "List", "Delete" and "Change phone" commands. If your system responds with anything other than "Im sorry but there are currently no paired phones connected" or some such verbage, then I believe my problem lies in the software on the VCIM that I received. Without a phone being connected to the system, the only bluetooth command that will do anything for me is "Pair". Guys.. Thanks again. Rab.. you are the man!!

RAB

Reference Info (borrowed from ChiltonLibrary.com)

- 2008 Cadillac CTS OnStar wiring diagram/schematic: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2861...1-am-197k?da=y

- 2009 Cadillac CTS OnStar wiring diagram/schematic: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2861...1-am-162k?da=y

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.