2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success - Page 15
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; excellent post What did you do about the bluetooth antenna?...
    whm946 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade, 2007 ESV

Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

excellent post

What did you do about the bluetooth antenna?

GrayGhost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

What did you do about the bluetooth antenna?
    I'm not sure what you mean, but the new module I purchased came with the bluetooth antenna which plugs into the module. My module came from a 2010 which is positioned by the glove box from what I understand, whereas mine is located on the back shelf...no problems with reception/distance. I still haven't gotten it reprogrammed at dealer or Onstar yet, but I get green lights and everything works great. I don't have Onstar service, so it's not that big of a deal for me.

Megathumper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-4 Luxury Sports

Anyone in Columbia SC done this ? I just got an 08 CTS4. Dealer said he had BT but it does not. I searched ebay today but did not find what looked like an ONSTAR Bluetooth module for the CTS.

I think I read you have to mess with airbags to do this and I do not know much about doing that.

...btw...new here and this thread is great. Thanks!

matthayes3741 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac SRX-4 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Megathumper View Post
    Anyone in Columbia SC done this ? I just got an 08 CTS4. Dealer said he had BT but it does not. I searched ebay today but did not find what looked like an ONSTAR Bluetooth module for the CTS.

I think I read you have to mess with airbags to do this and I do not know much about doing that.
    You do NOT mess with airbags whatsoever. I used to live in Charleston but in Cali now. All this requires is for you to locate an Onstar 8.0 or 8.1 (whichever and the hardest part). Then remove your back seat (easy) and rear deck shelf (also easy and instructions on first couple pages of here). Swap modules and voila! Afterward, take it to a dealer and have them flash it. Then push Onstar button and have them associate to your car. It was extremely easy install. If you read the first few pages of this you can skip the rest. The other 13 pages are more about how hard it is to find a part lol.

On another note, ordering online at partsdirect does NOT work. They will let you submit it, but never send it.

Ok, thanks! I have read so many threads so many places I am confused! I will do as you suggest! And if you have suggestions on how to find one of the elusive parts....

Quote Originally Posted by matthayes3741 View Post
    You do NOT mess with airbags whatsoever. I used to live in Charleston but in Cali now. All this requires is for you to locate an Onstar 8.0 or 8.1 (whichever and the hardest part). Then remove your back seat (easy) and rear deck shelf (also easy and instructions on first couple pages of here). Swap modules and voila! Afterward, take it to a dealer and have them flash it. Then push Onstar button and have them associate to your car. It was extremely easy install. If you read the first few pages of this you can skip the rest. The other 13 pages are more about how hard it is to find a part lol.

On another note, ordering online at partsdirect does NOT work. They will let you submit it, but never send it.

GrayGhost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

After searching everywhere on the web, I finally found mine at a local 'junk yard' that just happened to have a 2010 cts from collision. I was actually there to check out a glove box, as mine had scratches in it when I bought it. I'm glad I asked about the onstar module though, because they checked and it was still in the car (behind glove box in 2010). They wanted $250 and I was too excited to haggle. I was worried because it wasn't the same model # as those described in original writeup, but installed it that day in probably about 2-3 hours taking my time and following the directions...it works great. I have yet to get dealer to reflash to associate to my VIN, but I get green lights and I tested to make sure it dialed out to Onstar...although I don't subscribe...and it did.

matthayes3741 is 100% correct...the hardest part is finding the part.

Don't bother using an online used part finder either, you'll get about 5 different people emailing you to call them because they have the part, when they don't...it's all automated. Most of them were rude when I did call them...like they didn't want to be bothered.

PS: The closest you come to the airbag system is removing the fuse (just in case).

I guess the search is on ! Thanks guys!

Do you get more functions with the 2010 module vs the earlier ones?

matthayes3741 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac SRX-4 Premium

no more functions but there was a recall on the Onstar 8.0 module (the second one) which is something the Onstar 8.1 module fixed. I know looking at 15 pages is a lot of reading, but read through the first 3 pages and your questions will be answered (including nothing about the airbag and discusses the TSB/recall). The subsequent 12 pages are about people trying to find them lol.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help. I read the pages but was just trying to be sure. Multiple answers sometimes, and I was looking at multiple sites too. Confusing.

Wish I could just take it to the dealer and say put the BT version of the module in!

And now I am trying to figure out the USB options... think I got that one worked out but another what the heck were they thinking thing !!
    Thanks again!

ppowell1983 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Escalade ESV Platinum

If I was able to get an onstar unit out of a 2011 vehicle with the onstar mylink, can I get that to work in my 07 escalade?

bsnelling is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS4 DI FE2 NAV PREM PERF - Black Raven | Lt. Titanium

I just bought my first Cadillac yesterday. It's a '08 CTS4, and of course, does not have Bluetooth. I was really suprised, considering it has the Premium Collection. This thread is excellent. As with everyone else, I'm having trouble finding the mentioned PNs. Is there any reason that I couldn't use another module, as long as all the connectors are the same? I have found one, and only the mounting would have to be changed. It's PN 20842731.

bsnelling is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS4 DI FE2 NAV PREM PERF - Black Raven | Lt. Titanium

Anyone? I've spent several hours today looking for options. I discovered the LockPick, but would like to retain all factory funtionality with steering wheel controls and all. It doesn't like anything but the correct On* module will do that.

I am no expert, like you, I just got my first Cadillac a few weeks ago, 08 CTS4 DI performance and luxury packages, but have the same results in my searching. Seems you can't have the best of both worlds. yet.

Seems like some auto electronic engineer could whip out a ton of mods and updates for these cars. It is running Windows and has a USB port...but again, I have no experience with Windows Automobile edition.

Some day... A program to use the Nav screen for engine gauges and monitors etc would be really useful. But maybe most Cadillac owners are not interested in that kind of thing.

jquijada is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 black cadillac cts

Hey Guys,

Just a general question, Does the 8.1 Onstar Module allow streaming of music through its bluetooth connection or is it only calls.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.