2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success - Page 14
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by sfv41901 Havent gotten to it yet. Planning on it this weekend. If you don't mind, could you ...
    kenny76 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

Quote Originally Posted by sfv41901 View Post
    Havent gotten to it yet. Planning on it this weekend.
    If you don't mind, could you let me know if you do get to it this weekend if it works. I have seen several with that part number on ebay.

strunkm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS DI

Quote Originally Posted by kenny76 View Post
    If you don't mind, could you let me know if you do get to it this weekend if it works. I have seen several with that part number on ebay.
    Ok, I've been stalking this thread for a while now and don't know if anyone is still following but I have some interesting information and figured I'd post it just in case anyone is in the same situation I was and wants to do this upgrade.

First, hats off to Gramzster as his tutorial was spot on and he could probably copyright it as a "Changing Onstar Module for Dummies" book and make a mint. Thanks, I had my module swapped out and car put back together in less than an hour, even used your "wrench taped to a paint stick" trick to get the back nut off the bolt.

Second, it seems GM is still behind the 8 ball on this one as even to this day they either won't, or don't know how to support, an upgrade of pre-bluetooth vehicles to the bluetooth technology even though more and more states are passing hands-free driving laws each year. If you are relying on them to assist you in this upgrade, for the most part you find them little to no help. In fact you will probably be the one instructing them, by showing them internet printouts like Gramzster's, on what you need to have done once YOU install the module. Luckily I have found a dealer in my area that is willing to do the "Onstar Setup Procedure" for me although they quoted me 3 hours of labor at $105an hour to begin with, but of course the price will go down if it takes less time.

OK here's my scenario:
    Vehicle - 2008 CTS-DI (Manufacture Date 12/1/2007)

Tried procuring a 25990227 or 20787642, as these were the modules Gramzster and csalmon stated would work without issue, to no avail. Decided to bite the bullet and order module from a 2010 CTS off of ebay (Part Number 20833148) to see if by chance it would work. My logic was a 2008 CTS with the correct options (Nav, Voice Interface, and the Y44 seat package) wouldn't be that much different than a 2010 CTS with correct options (Nav, Voice Interface, and UE1). Long story short is it worked and I now have Onstar (2 green lights) and bluetooth in my ride.

At first I didn't know if the module was compatible because I could not get the bluetooth to pair with my phone but I was pretty certain I was doing something wrong since immediately after I installed the 2010 module 2 green lights were on and I could call Onstar. Funny thing is when they answered they called me by the wrong name since they still think the module is in that dude's car. Ha Ha joke's on them!!!

It did take me a couple of days to figure out the bluetooth though. In short you have to press the voice button on the steering wheel until you hear a beep (approx 2 seconds), let go of the button and then say "Onstar" (not "handsfree"), you should hear a computer voice reply "Onstar", then you say "Bluetooth", system responds with "Bluetooth Ready", you say "Pair", system responds with "Pair" and then directions on what to do next. Actually pretty simple once you find out how to access the voice activation menu.

My last step is to take my baby to the dealer and have them do the "Onstar setup procedure" to see if the data from my car (old Onstar account) can be transferred and associated with the new module.

If there is any interest in my results (additional posts to this thread) I will make another post informing everyone of my results.

The information I provide is just that, informational. I am not making any guarantees, or any kind, that my process will work for you. I only posted this information in case there are others out there like me who want bluetooth technology in their luxury vehicle and are willing to risk time and money in upgrading their older modules. I took the risk and it seems to have paid off, you will have to do the same thing. One things for sure I can't stress the value of research in this effort. I literally spent weeks researching this topic and have probably read this thread from beginning to end at least 3 times in order to make an informed decision and minimize my risk. I would strongly advise you doing the same.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, you have made me a success story. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

jhermit is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI

So the 2010 module works? Hmmm. I wonder if I put a 2011 module on a 2008 it would work with the onstar app... hmmmm. hmmm.

Thanks for the info.

strunkm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS DI

Not sure about the 2011 module, but I wouldn't think too much has changed in the module. I say that because to my knowledge the Onstar service itself hasn't changed very much in the last several years, however I did notice when I plugged my Ipod into the USB interface using the special cable I was able to control the device through the nav screen and it displays "Ipod" on the left hand side of the screen. I have read in other threads that the display used to read "USB" and Ipod control was very un-user friendly in previous modules if my understanding/interpretation is correct. My guess is software upgrades are the only differences between the modules, besides the location changing from the rear deck to behind the glovebox in 2009. If you are up to taking the risk my suggestion would be to go ahead and purchase the 2011 module from a vendor you can return it to if it doesn't work and see what happens. If it works you can post back and let others know so our upgrade options are expanded due to the compatibility of more than 1 or 2 modules. If it doesn't work you can return it and probably get your money back minus a possible re-stocking fee of 10% of the purchase price.

Personally, considering the "hands free" laws that will more than likely be instituted throughout the country in the coming years, I think the more options (modules) we can utilize to accomplish our goal may drive down the cost of the modules themselves. I paid $250 for mine and there are others listed on ebay right now for around the same price. It would be nice to know if a bluetooth module out of a non-cadillac, say a gmc sierra, would work as well. If it did we could actually "shop" for the best deal.

The more we know the better.

GrayGhost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

It did take me a couple of days to figure out the bluetooth though. In short you have to press the voice button on the steering wheel until you hear a beep (approx 2 seconds), let go of the button and then say "Onstar" (not "handsfree"),
    I installed a 2010 in mine as well (not sure if it is same part #), but it works when I say 'hands free'. Not saying you're wrong, but we just might have some of each out there, so if you are having problems with one command working...try the other.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Keep in mind that the 2011 rearview mirror is different with regards to the on* functions. There are only three buttons instead of the previous four. It might be best to try to locate a 2009 or 2010 module.

felix711 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS Direct Inject

IT also seems as though the 2011 onstar system has added more features, such as being able to control some car functions from phone apps, eg starting your car. I talked to onstar about this and the 2011 onstar is different from the 2009-2010.

Ericshere is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS 3.6 Premium

Hey Strunkm

Did you ever take your car to the dealer to have it programed? Is everything still working ok? I picked up the same On* model as you did and am going to put it in hopefully next week.

Thanks

Ericshere is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS 3.6 Premium

One last bump to Strunkm

caddad08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2

Great post here to see what needs to be done. My CTS was built 3 weeks before the changeover to Gen 8 or I would already have bluetooth! Man, so close.

csalmon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS AWD 3.6, 2008 CTS AWD 3.6 (Past), 2008 STS-V (Past)

Quote Originally Posted by strunkm View Post
    My last step is to take my baby to the dealer and have them do the "Onstar setup procedure" to see if the data from my car (old Onstar account) can be transferred and associated with the new module.
    I would be very interested in seeing if onstar can provision that module for that vehicle. When I was talking to those guys, they were saying that you could only use a module part number that was used at some point on that model year vehicle. I believe they said there was some sort of VIN table for each module generation so you would not be able to use a newer gen module than what was ever used on your model year of vehicle. I my case the module I chose was the newest version (gen 8.1) that was used on a 2008 and it worked perfectly (still does today). The GM parts catalog calls out the 20833148 module as a 2010 specific module so if what I was told is true, they should not be able to provision it on your 2008. Remember, it was a 2 step process: First the dealer had to do the setup which told the module about your VIN and the options on your vehicle, then second the provisioning of the module and account to your car by onstar.

Things may have changed in the last year and if they are able to do it, then I will start considering an upgrade to a 2011 module to add smartphone integration to my 2008!! (I highly doubt this would be possible)

gm85 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, 2007 DTS, 2011 DTS

Hey strunkm,

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Gotta ask: when you receive an incoming call, do you see the Caller ID on your dash, or does it appear as "UNAVAILABLE"?

I still got to look at that at somepoint haha. Doesn't bother me much though (hey, I've lived with it for almost a year).

Reigntrs8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Small question. If you try to do this swap, would you need to have subscription of onstar in order for the bluetooth to work via onstar?

gm85 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, 2007 DTS, 2011 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by Reigntrs8 View Post
    Small question. If you try to do this swap, would you need to have subscription of onstar in order for the bluetooth to work via onstar?
    Nope. Don't need an onstar subscription

GrayGhost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Gotta ask: when you receive an incoming call, do you see the Caller ID on your dash, or does it appear as "UNAVAILABLE"?

I still got to look at that at somepoint haha. Doesn't bother me much though (hey, I've lived with it for almost a year).
    Gramzster, I replaced mine with a 2010 model and I do see the caller's # on my DIC. I followed your instructions (thanks again), so I would think it has to do with the cell phone. What do you have? I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S Epic. Can you try pairing a friend's phone to see if the results are different?

Also, when I had mine at the stealership, I told them about the update and printed out what needed to be done to match to my car. Their advise..."I'd leave for the next person that buys the car to worry about". I told them I still wanted it and they were supposed to give me a quote and do it while it was there...they never did. This is one more reason why I'm changing dealerships.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.