2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success - Page 13
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I just got a VCIM from a 2010 CTS. The model # is: 20833148. Anybody have any clue what version ...
    sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS

Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

I just got a VCIM from a 2010 CTS. The model # is: 20833148. Anybody have any clue what version this is?

jhermit is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI

Quote Originally Posted by sfv41901 View Post
    I just got a VCIM from a 2010 CTS. The model # is: 20833148. Anybody have any clue what version this is?
    Did you try it and it worked? So far the ones I know for sure they work with the 2008 CTS are the 25990227 (v8.0) and 20787642 (V8.1)

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Isn't the location of the on-star module different on the 2010 and if so can it also be located to the rear parcel shelf area.

Quote Originally Posted by jhermit View Post
    Did you try it and it worked? So far the ones I know for sure they work with the 2008 CTS are the 25990227 (v8.0) and 20787642 (V8.1)
    Havent tried it yet. Just got the VCIM yesterday & my CTS is in the shop getting the water pump replaced cause it started to leak.

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    Isn't the location of the on-star module different on the 2010 and if so can it also be located to the rear parcel shelf area.
    The 2010 VCIM is located behind the glove box. Are you talking about moving the VCIM from the dash to the rear deck in a 2010 CTS?

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Havent tried it yet. Just got the VCIM yesterday & my CTS is in the shop getting the water pump replaced cause it started to leak.

The 2010 VCIM is located behind the glove box. Are you talking about moving the VCIM from the dash to the rear deck in a 2010 CTS?
    True, the 2010 VCIM is located behind the glove box. Anyone wanting to adapt it to a 2008 w/o bluetooth may encounter concerns about relocating the VCIM to the 2008 location on the parcel shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    True, the 2010 VCIM is located behind the glove box. Anyone wanting to adapt it to a 2008 w/o bluetooth may encounter concerns about relocating the VCIM to the 2008 location on the parcel shelf.
    I think the only concern would be the signal of the B/T attn.

That could be fixed using an extension so you can place the B/T attn anywhere you want. Finding the correct connectors to do that would be the only problem.

Gramzster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, 2007 DTS, 2011 DTS

Regarding the VCIM location, the 2008 had the unit on the rear shelf, whereas the 2009-2010 have the the VCIM located in the glove box.

No changes were made to the module when they moved it from the rear shelf to the glovebox, so if you get a module that was originally installed in the glovebox, you can install it on the rear shelf without any problems or modifications.

As my car is a 2008, the module and bluetooth antenna are on the rear shelf, however I have no issues with bluetooth connectivity.

pinkguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '09CTS 3.6DI RWD GoldMist/Cashmere

Hello to everybody,
    I am new to this forum and picked up a lot of information so far.
    Currently, I am looking at the following situation.
    I am going to purchase a 2008 CTS with all options installed. I was thinking about to replace the OnStar module, too.
    But unfortunately, I am facing an additional problem. The European delivery vehicles have rear view mirrors w/o OnStar installed in the unit. The reason for this is, there is no OnStar service available at all in Europe.
    Is it possible to replace the mirror in addition to the module to make it work?
    I am located in Germany and dealerships install aftermarket units, which work ok, but it doesn't like really good.
    I appreciate all comments and feedback

matthayes3741 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac SRX-4 Premium

Pinkguy,

I don't know anything about your situation but keep in mind that the Onstar module you are looking for is EXTREMELY hard to come by.

jhermit is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI

Re: VCIM Replacement How-To

Thank you for taking the time to post this. It proved to be invaluable for me as I did this in under 2 hours (the module nut came out without a fuss).

Thank you again

cooldog is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Do you have any idea if swapping the VCIM module to a 2010 or 2009 model with bluetooth will work in a 2008 Corvette???

Quote Originally Posted by csalmon View Post
    Hello, I just came across this thread after completing the exact same upgrade with my 08 CTS as Gramzster. I work in the GM vehicle engineering center so I had some very good help to guide me through and maybe I can pass on some info that may help you guys.

First of all, I take no responsibility for anything outlined here. If these procedures screw up your Onstar or your CTS, don't blame me I'm only trying to help out here.

The Onstar module swap that was described in Gramzster's first post is spot on, but I wanted to also add some information about it. First of all if you complete the steps below, it does not matter which donor vehicle the module comes from, it also does not matter which options the donor vehicle had (mine was from an 09 Saturn VUE). The original Onstar module in my CTS was a gen 7 module with no bluetooth, after some research I found just like Gramzster that the 25990227 module was also used in 08s and was a Gen 8 module with bluetooth. I also found with some research and help from people here, that there was a service bulletin that called out a replacement for that module citing issues it may have communicating with the NAV system. The replacement for 25990227 is 20787642 and that module is an Onstar gen 8.1 module. This is the module I purchased from Nordstrom's on eBay and used for my upgrade (I think I paid $65).

After installing the module of your choice using Gramzster's excellent tutorial there are two additional steps to get the unit working as if it was stock.

First, take the car to a dealer and have them perform an "Onstar setup procedure" with the new module installed. This will associate the new module with your vehicle VIN and will calibrate the module to see all the specific options your vehicle has. Without doing this, you will experience all kinds of problems getting Onstar to work properly (including how Onstar communicates with the NAV system and displays things in your instrument cluster). This setup takes the dealer about 10 minutes max and I have no idea how much they will charge you for it (Mine did it no charge but YMMV).

Second, make the call to Onstar and tell them what you did. You need to ask them to associate your new module to your VIN because they will still see you calling as if you were in the donor vehicle (they thought I was calling from the VUE!). This took me about a half hour but may take you less time. When they are all done they will ask you to call back using the Onstar button and they will verify that they see you calling from your CTS.

That's it, my Onstar gen 8.1 works just like it was there from the factory and now has bluetooth!

In summary:
    - Just look for the correct part number for your Onstar module: 25990227=gen 8, 20787642=gen 8.1 (vehicle and options don't matter)

- Take the car to the deal after installation and have them do an "Onstar setup procedure"

- Call Onstar and have them associate the module to your VIN

(You need to do both steps or it will not work properly)

Good luck!

kenny76 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

sfv41901 were you able to install this VCIM?

pearsco is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Hate to dig up an old thread but I am looking to add BT to my 08 CTS. I have read the thread and if I understand correctly all I have to do is find a VCIM 25990227=gen 8 OR 20787642=gen 8.1 plus the antenna, swap it out underneath the rear deck lid and I should be good?

The reason I ask is people seem to be having a hard time sourcing a replacement VCIM but I see gmpartsdirect has the 25990227=gen 8 for $215 plus the $25 antenna. Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by kenny76 View Post
    sfv41901 were you able to install this VCIM?
    Havent gotten to it yet. Planning on it this weekend.

matthayes3741 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac SRX-4 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by pearsco View Post
    Hate to dig up an old thread but I am looking to add BT to my 08 CTS. I have read the thread and if I understand correctly all I have to do is find a VCIM 25990227=gen 8 OR 20787642=gen 8.1 plus the antenna, swap it out underneath the rear deck lid and I should be good?

The reason I ask is people seem to be having a hard time sourcing a replacement VCIM but I see gmpartsdirect has the 25990227=gen 8 for $215 plus the $25 antenna. Is this correct?
    Yes that is correct. Finding the unit is the hard part. Ordering at the dealership or even through GMPartsDirect will allow you to place the order, but they will never process it/send you one. I paid and bought one online, waited two/three months, even lost out on purchasing one from eBay at cheaper, thinking I would receive mine... GM will not send you one has been the experience for most of us. Find the unit, do the swap, enjoy your car!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.