Cadillac Owners Forum banner
217K views 392 replies 93 participants last post by  Bucketokarma 
#1 ·
I purchased my 2008 CTS at the end of October and while it did not have Bluetooth, it had all the other options I was looking for.

My 2008 was manufactured in March 08 and therefore has Gen 7 OnStar hardware.

I wanted to see if it was possible to add Bluetooth to the vehicle, without using aftermarket parts. I figured if I wasn't able to do it through the OnStar module, I'd buy a hands-free visor-mount Bluetooth speakerphone instead.

I bought a salvaged unit off eBay for $65 that came from a 2009 CTS. I found the device from Nordstrom's Automotive and is identified by
CADILLAC CTS 2009 Communication; (OnStar, opt UE1), w/voice recognition (opt UPF).
The model # is 25990227.

Before purchasing, I obtained a copy of the service manual and found that there weren’t any wiring changes that could cause a short or irreparable damage to both the module and my vehicle. I figured if the gen 8 module didn't work, I'd probably could plug the gen 7 module back in without problems.

I know that there was information about the new Bluetooth wiring provisions (WXS) when the Gen 8 Module was introduced. My guess is these wires were already part of the existing Nav system wiring (UQA, UQS), and were just separated into a separate wiring scheme in 2009 vehicles to allow Non-Nav cars to support Bluetooth as well (However, my guess is non-Nav cars might have this wiring too as OnStar runs through the stereo..... just don't take my word for it.) They provide a "Remote Playback Device Left Audio Signal", Mute, Ground and a "Cellular Microphone Signal" to the Nav System.
As mentioned, either my car already has it, or it's not needed as my Nav mutes when a call comes in, and I can hear the caller (and they can hear me) clearly when using Bluetooth.

The device arrived on Friday looks almost identical to the Gen 7 module. The only difference is it has a Bluetooth Connector / Antenna, as well as a Bluetooth logo and MAC address on the label.
Took me about an hour to remove the back seat, interior trim and rear shelf (as well as disable the airbags). At this point I had access to the module. I plugged the new one and turned on the car. Success! I went into the Hands-Free menu and said “Bluetooth” and it recognized it! I paired my phone and was able to make calls through the stereo. At this point my OnStar light was red, but probably because the device wasn’t connected long enough to get an OnStar and GPS signal.

Unfortunately, it took me 4 HOURS to remove the old module. Why? The old module is mounted to a plate and when I tried to loosen the nut holding down the module, the bolt turned as well.

I was unable to remove the tray as it was bolted down and one of the bolts had cap on it that couldn’t be removed (it had a wiring harness running through it, so I was unable to unscrew it).

I had to resort to taping a wrench to a paint stick and sliding it under the try to grab hold of the bolt. (There is a hole almost underneath the module in the trunk; however it was not large enough to place an object in to prevent the bolt from turning).

Anyways, although it took over 5 hours to do, I’m happy that it was successful. I will admit though I’m not sure if it’s a 100% success as there were a few problems that I outlined below:

Quirks

After installing the module and getting it mounted in the back of my vehicle, I turned my car onto accessory mode to verify the module worked before putting the car back together.
  • While the car was on accessory mode, my dash and Nav "restarted" and the DIC came up with the message "Stabilitrack Off". This is a total guess, but I wonder if it was due to the car detecting the new module, OR the battery was almost dead as I was in/out of the car for over 6 hours without starting it. To be safe I charged the battery overnight and it hasn't happened since.
  • Also, on Sunday morning, my NAV display came up with the error that "the display unit is too hot and will shut down". This message disappeared after a few seconds and the Nav display is working fine.
I installed the module on Saturday and I haven't had any problems with the car since. Now I know that was only two days ago, but if I see anything else occur, I’ll post about it.

Unresolved Questions / Issues
  • When I have an incoming call, the Caller ID on the DIC shows "UNAVAILABLE". However, this may be due to the Bluetooth capabilities of the cell phone.
  • Also, as this is a used module, I'm not sure if OnStar will be willing to reset the programming on the device to match my vehicle. Therefore, I don't know if I will be able to activate OnStar services on the vehicle. The good news is the OnStar light is green. I might look into it if I decide to activate OnStar in the New Year. There is a guy on the Silverado forums who said he called up OnStar and they downloaded the updated information about his car to the module. However, I'm unsure if he had a new, or a used module.
Of course I can’t make any guarantees if will work in your car (As I said my car has Nav and was manufactured in March 08. Also, I don’t have THAT much experience with electrical or automotive systems, I’m an IT guy) but hey if you’re looking for a way to add Bluetooth to your 08, this MIGHT be a way to do it.

See less See more
#378 ·
Forgive me as I haven't read through all 38 pages completely but has anyone thought about just putting an Apple Sirport Express with auxiliary port into their vehicle and airplane from an iPhone to that wirelessly. I believe for android there is an app that will allow you to do airplay as well? But I'm not 100% sure.

Otherwise, another option that Rockford Fosgate makes plugs into your cigarette lighter has a USB port for charging your device and has an 1/8" inch audio jack to plug into the auxiliary port in your car. That makes things a whole lot simpler?

As much as I wanted my early 2008 to have Bluetooth I'm not gonna tear apart the car to get it. Plus I think it has to be sold before he hits 120,000 miles... Therefore I won't tear it apart.

#380 · (Edited)
Finally got remote start! Called OnStar last night and the advisor said the senior tech team was still looking into the issue. Just checked the RemoteLink app this afternoon, after logging out and back in, and remote start is there! Going to try it out in a bit to make sure it works.

OnStar Advisor: you are misinformed and wrong. Thanks anyways.

Reactions: HurstGN
#382 ·
Just got a call from a Texas phone number, was (an American, how refreshing) someone from OnStar support calling to tell me their engineers were able to successfully enable that option for me for use in the RemoteLink app. Not going to worry about re-programming the unit anymore as it no longer matters, I can live with OnStar thinking I have a '11 CTS Coupe - I only wanted the remote start to work and it does. This car is now everything I want it to be and I am so thrilled. Thanks to Cougar281 for their brilliant suggestion!

#385 ·
Greetings,

Noob question:
I bought a 2009 CTS 3.6 yesterday, here in Korea. The Korean versions do not have OnStar. Will there still be a possibility for me to install some kind of bluetooth device to pair my phone to the car in order to a) receive and make calls via the loudspeakers and b) use my iPhone as an iPod via Bluetooth?

I plugged my iPhone SE in via USB cable today and it said something along the lines of "not compatible".

Thanks in advance for any help!

#386 ·
For my (domestic USA) 2009 CTS, Bluetooth works for phone calls, but not for streaming music. For music, I connect iPhone headphone jack to 3.5mm AUX input located in center console. Alternatively you can search the forum to find out about Bluetooth adapters that plug into the AUX jack. I don't know if your vehicle is an 'export' model or otherwise different than mine. You might try to pair your phone using instructions on page 3-110 of this manual...

http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam...s/01_images/2009_cadillac_cts_ctsv_owners.pdf

...and see if it works, good luck!

#388 ·
Just wanted to say a BIG thank you to all the info here! It's still helping people! GA (where I live) just became the 16th state to become hands free, and our 2008 CTS didn't have bluetooth. Upgrade went great. As a thank you I made this video which will hopefully help others see what they are getting into with how to remove the back seat, package tray, etc.

Reactions: HurstGN
#390 · (Edited)
Hi all. I am interested in doing this mod on my 2008 CTS, but my question is, does the added Bluetooth connection support stereo music playback (preferably with pause/play and seeking controls), or is it only for phone calls? I would only be interested in it for music playback, as I have an earpiece for phone calls. (another GA resident here BTW)

EDIT: Sorry folks, I should have searched first! It's only for phone calls.

#392 ·
Hi All, been a while for this 1 but I could not find any info on what I am trying to do here. MA law for hands-free is in affect now so I went ahead and got a 9.3 module (22899600) along with the newer shark fin antenna (22763482). I pulled everything apart and the issue I see now is the connections from the antenna to the module. 08 Antenna has 3 connections, Blue(GPS), Violet(Cell), and Green(XM). The new antenna only has 2 (Blue & Tan) I think they combined GPS and Cell into the Blue and XM would be the Tan? I figured I would be able to pull the connector housing off the old and switch to the new but that is a no go as the cable ends are different. So not sure how or what connections I should make. The 2008 vcim had 2 ports and the new vcim only has 1. I found the connector types for the old which is Fakra C, D, and E. Not sure what the 1 is that comes off of the newer antenna. I was thinking of just getting a new cable that runs from the antenna to the vcim. any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

#393 ·
It’s been a decade since these cars were made and I’m surprised that nobody has figured out a work-around to make the steering controls work with iPhone via the usb at least.
The car USB recognizes non apple media players of yesteryear, or at least that’s the claim.
it seems a dongle and an apple app should be able to communicate with each other and translate that information to-from the more primitive language of the car’s native systems.

No?
Obviously, the demand is nowhere near high enough to warrant the research and development on an app and hardware for our cars anymore… but how many platforms utilized this or similar technology back when these cars were built and the years following before CarPlay and android auto became a widespread thing?
The used car market still has plenty of buyers…. \_ (•_•) _/

Bluetooth to audio jack I guess it must be…

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.