Cadillac Owners Forum banner
217K views 392 replies 93 participants last post by  Bucketokarma 
#1 ·
I purchased my 2008 CTS at the end of October and while it did not have Bluetooth, it had all the other options I was looking for.

My 2008 was manufactured in March 08 and therefore has Gen 7 OnStar hardware.

I wanted to see if it was possible to add Bluetooth to the vehicle, without using aftermarket parts. I figured if I wasn't able to do it through the OnStar module, I'd buy a hands-free visor-mount Bluetooth speakerphone instead.

I bought a salvaged unit off eBay for $65 that came from a 2009 CTS. I found the device from Nordstrom's Automotive and is identified by
CADILLAC CTS 2009 Communication; (OnStar, opt UE1), w/voice recognition (opt UPF).
The model # is 25990227.

Before purchasing, I obtained a copy of the service manual and found that there weren’t any wiring changes that could cause a short or irreparable damage to both the module and my vehicle. I figured if the gen 8 module didn't work, I'd probably could plug the gen 7 module back in without problems.

I know that there was information about the new Bluetooth wiring provisions (WXS) when the Gen 8 Module was introduced. My guess is these wires were already part of the existing Nav system wiring (UQA, UQS), and were just separated into a separate wiring scheme in 2009 vehicles to allow Non-Nav cars to support Bluetooth as well (However, my guess is non-Nav cars might have this wiring too as OnStar runs through the stereo..... just don't take my word for it.) They provide a "Remote Playback Device Left Audio Signal", Mute, Ground and a "Cellular Microphone Signal" to the Nav System.
As mentioned, either my car already has it, or it's not needed as my Nav mutes when a call comes in, and I can hear the caller (and they can hear me) clearly when using Bluetooth.

The device arrived on Friday looks almost identical to the Gen 7 module. The only difference is it has a Bluetooth Connector / Antenna, as well as a Bluetooth logo and MAC address on the label.
Took me about an hour to remove the back seat, interior trim and rear shelf (as well as disable the airbags). At this point I had access to the module. I plugged the new one and turned on the car. Success! I went into the Hands-Free menu and said “Bluetooth” and it recognized it! I paired my phone and was able to make calls through the stereo. At this point my OnStar light was red, but probably because the device wasn’t connected long enough to get an OnStar and GPS signal.

Unfortunately, it took me 4 HOURS to remove the old module. Why? The old module is mounted to a plate and when I tried to loosen the nut holding down the module, the bolt turned as well.

I was unable to remove the tray as it was bolted down and one of the bolts had cap on it that couldn’t be removed (it had a wiring harness running through it, so I was unable to unscrew it).

I had to resort to taping a wrench to a paint stick and sliding it under the try to grab hold of the bolt. (There is a hole almost underneath the module in the trunk; however it was not large enough to place an object in to prevent the bolt from turning).

Anyways, although it took over 5 hours to do, I’m happy that it was successful. I will admit though I’m not sure if it’s a 100% success as there were a few problems that I outlined below:

Quirks

After installing the module and getting it mounted in the back of my vehicle, I turned my car onto accessory mode to verify the module worked before putting the car back together.
  • While the car was on accessory mode, my dash and Nav "restarted" and the DIC came up with the message "Stabilitrack Off". This is a total guess, but I wonder if it was due to the car detecting the new module, OR the battery was almost dead as I was in/out of the car for over 6 hours without starting it. To be safe I charged the battery overnight and it hasn't happened since.
  • Also, on Sunday morning, my NAV display came up with the error that "the display unit is too hot and will shut down". This message disappeared after a few seconds and the Nav display is working fine.
I installed the module on Saturday and I haven't had any problems with the car since. Now I know that was only two days ago, but if I see anything else occur, I’ll post about it.

Unresolved Questions / Issues
  • When I have an incoming call, the Caller ID on the DIC shows "UNAVAILABLE". However, this may be due to the Bluetooth capabilities of the cell phone.
  • Also, as this is a used module, I'm not sure if OnStar will be willing to reset the programming on the device to match my vehicle. Therefore, I don't know if I will be able to activate OnStar services on the vehicle. The good news is the OnStar light is green. I might look into it if I decide to activate OnStar in the New Year. There is a guy on the Silverado forums who said he called up OnStar and they downloaded the updated information about his car to the module. However, I'm unsure if he had a new, or a used module.
Of course I can’t make any guarantees if will work in your car (As I said my car has Nav and was manufactured in March 08. Also, I don’t have THAT much experience with electrical or automotive systems, I’m an IT guy) but hey if you’re looking for a way to add Bluetooth to your 08, this MIGHT be a way to do it.

See less See more
#345 ·
The issue is not getting the Bluetooth to work, it is the programing. I did ALL THIS, and when I went to the dealer OnStar REFUSED to reprogram the VCIM. So basically if I got in an accident they would look doe a red Saturn vue, not a Hot Lava CTS. Bluetooth worked just fine with just connecting the box. The car has it all wired in, just the 08 doesn't have the plug for it in the Vicm. That's why everyone changes them out.

Im still pissed off about it. All that money and effort all for nothing.

I think GM should pony up something for the inconvenience.

#346 ·
GM doesn't owe you anything. If you read this thread you knew there was a chance you wouldn't be able to convince your dealer. I think your best bet would be to say you bought this car and tried to activate onstar and you had a problem. Go at the activation as if you didn't know. Hit the onstar button and go with it. See what they say.

Going to the dealer and telling them you got a vcim off a wreck and that they need to have the new vcim paired with your vin isn't the approach. Besides, I'm pretty sure they're technically not allowed to do this. Who knows what freak glitches could (probably won't) occur with something like this. It's a liability for them.

#348 ·
When I replaced my VICM, I just hit the OnStar button and talked to the rep. I explained what I had done, and that the car I was calling from was not the car showing up on her screen. I already had an OnStar account, and even though I'm not currently paying for the service she was happy to associate the salvaged VICM to my CTS. So if I call OnStar to reactivate the service they know it's my car. Later, I stopped by the dealer and asked about using the Tech 2 to associate the VICM with my VIN. I told him that it worked fine and the service rep said if that's the case there's no need to do anything. He was concerned that they might screw something up. So bottom line, I don't think you need to worry about associating the module with your vehicle, but getting OnStar to update their database will stop the confusion if you need their service. I hope this helps...

#350 ·
"...and when I went to the dealer OnStar REFUSED to reprogram the VCIM."

"...I think GM should pony up something for the inconvenience."

Wasn't trying to be rude or take a cheap shot at you. Didn't mean to come off harsh. Your first statement threw me off. I now see that it is onstar that didn't want to help you but it was confusing because you mentioned going to the dealer when you actually don't have to go to the dealer at all to try to get onstar to help you. If this is what you did, I recommend trying it yourself. Hit the onstar button and play dumb. Say you want to activate onstar and let them figure out that its the wrong car associated to the VCIM. If they ask, say you don't know anything about it. For all they know, the previous owner did this.

I still don't agree with your second statement about GM ponying up something for your inconvenience though.

Again, sorry if I came off harsh.

#353 ·
When you buy a used VCIM or a replacement radio you need to get a receipt showing the VIN number and the car it came out of, and then if you go to a GM dealer and show them the receipt, they will hook it up to their computer system, it will tell them if the parts you bought are from a stolen car, if not they will re program your VIN number into the part you have brought them or installed.

That is the law that stops people buying stolen car parts. If you have an On Star acct they can take the old VIN number out and add the new one if they want to. That is why I buy my Auto parts from LKQ, they always give you.the VIN number of the car the parts came out of.

#355 ·
I'm extremely surprised it even worked just once unless i had a different VCIM. My dealer attempted to program it but it did not take. (They even brought me my car to show me...the screen showed it went through but I still had the red light) When I traded it in, I left the VCIM in the trunk with a note explaining what I did...this way the new owner can decide what is best for them.

#356 ·
Hi, I have a 2008 without nav and without bluetooth.

If I am able to get my hands on the following unit: P/N 20833148 - Gen 8.2 (supersedes all previous bluetooth versions)

What is the chance that I will be able to get/use remote start function (Note: I do not currently have a remote start)

Would I need to buy new remotes and have them programmed? Does this VCIM control the remote start feature?

Thanks.

#358 ·
Bump... OK I've been trying to find the answer to my question and maybe it's in here. I'll ask hoping it's here... I am trying to install bluetooth in my 05 V and I want to keep my onstar. What I've read so far it sounds like I can do it. I also read in another thread that I might be able to keep my original onstar module and install the bluetooth from a newer module. Is this possible?

----------

OK... I read a little further and found that this "fix" is not compatible on a 2007. As the 2007 is a gen 1 I am assuming this would not work for my 05 V. But is retaining my module and just adding the bluetooth from a newer module a possibility? I have read in another thread it is "highly" possible and the only mod is drilling a hole in the box for the antenna. This would save a lot of headaches by eliminating the programming.

#359 ·
Alright guys. I've gone through all 24 pages of this thread and it has been a wealth of information. I picked up a salvaged VCIM unit from a 2011 CTS AWD Coupe from someone on eBay. I installed it and talked to OnStar and had them associate it to my account. Problem is, OnStar is still showing my vehicle as a 2011 CTS, when it's a 2009 CTS. So I understand that the VIN needs reprogrammed.

I went to my local dealership who used a Tech2 tool and TIS2WEB but was unsuccessful in reflashing the unit to my VIN number. He even asked me to come behind his desk as I read off what he was supposed to do and nothing. He tried one more thing through the OBD port and nothing. The unit is still programmed to the old car. I wouldn't care, but the car I pulled this from didn't have remote start and mine does. Meaning I can't use remote start through the RemoteLink app. The whole reason I did this switch was NOT for Bluetooth (my car's VCIM already had Bluetooth capabilities). I wanted to be able to remote start my car in the parking deck while I was 0.5 miles away in a building on my campus during the winter so it was defrosted by the time I got to it.

Now I read in post #273 of this thread that a 2011 VCIM unit can't be programmed with Tech2, that it needs to be programmed with Techline SPS application? Would my dealer know what to do if I told them this? Or better yet, is there a written procedure somewhere that I can show the service manager at my local dealer so I can get this issue fixed once and for all? I've had the unit for three months, and the RemoteLink app works perfectly (can send directions to my NAV system, can remote lock/unlock doors, horn, all that jazz, but NO REMOTE START!).

ANY help would be so appreciated!

#362 ·
You're here asking for help, wmillar attempted to help you! It's difficult to fix your problem via the internet so maybe you need to check your attitude at the door! Is it possible that you have an engine fault code, if you do, the remote start function won't work! My "crystal ball" can't see if you have a code or not!

Good Luck, Marv

#364 ·
Folks, read the post....
I wanted to be able to remote start my car in the parking deck while I was 0.5 miles away in a building on my campus during the winter so it was defrosted by the time I got to it.
So the point in question is starting via an app and onStar.

Trying to remote start at the vehicle will definitely tell you several things...
- there are no codes preventing the car from starting
- the remote start components will respond to a command
- the remote start components are all in working order and will indeed start the car

What he needs help with is getting the app to command onStar to talk to the car, and the module to issue the remote start command.

Starting with the dealer that helped so far, did the dealer see if the car was getting the command via onStar after the reprogramming attempt? If onStar is sending the signal, you can eliminate that part. If not, work with onStar to get the signal to send. Since all other signals work, it's very likely that end is OK...but don't assume the remote start signal is being sent. OnStar may have looked at the module and disabled sending the command if it thinks it can't be done.

Once you know onStar is sending, then it's a matter of tracing the module to the remote start circuit and see where it's failing there.

#365 ·
The issue with the RemoteLink app is that it doesn't think my car has Remote Start and as such doesn't even give me the option to remote start it. I can't tell if the signal is being sent because there is no option for me to send the signal. This is because the VCIM unit is still programmed to the VIN from the '11 CTS I pulled it from, which did not have factory remote start.

The dealer was unsuccessful in reflashing the VCIM to the VIN of MY CTS. I'm asking how to go about reprogramming the VCIM to my VIN number so the module recognizes the remote start option is there and the app should then give me the option to remote start with out doing anything further. There is also a red LED on my rear view mirror and it is to my understanding that reflashing the VCIM will solve all these issues.

#366 ·
I don't know about any other cars, but my CTS certainly won't remote start anywhere near 1/2 miles. I'll try at different distances and get back to you with the information I find. I think you're asking too much of the system, even if you get that function working.

Marv

#367 · (Edited)
I appreciate your willingness to help but we are talking about two different things. Using OnStar's RemoteLink app capabilities, it is possible to remote start your car from anywhere in the world as long as you have a cell phone signal. Again, I am not referring to starting my car using the remote.

Reactions: Tbbt
#370 ·
I went through this with my 2010. Near as I can tell, there is NO way to reprogram the VICM with your VIN. And technically, it's not the VIN in the VICM that's making it show up as it does with onstar, it's the modules ESN. Just live with it saying it's a 2011 (mine says it's a 2011 Coupe).

As for remote start via onstar, with the module you have, 99% sure you'll never get it working. The car the VICM came out of didn't have remote start, so their system says it doesn't have it - that's not something that's detected by onstsr. It's programmed into their system when the car was built. MAYBE you could call them and give them a spiel that you had the dealer add factory remote start, and they might be able to change it in their system, but I have my doubts. And don't tell them you put a 2011 VICM into an older car. They'll stonewall you. I ended up finding a VICM out of a car with the exact same options as mine and everything works perfectly.

#371 ·
ALRIGHT, so I've contacted OnStar and your plan sounded fail proof. I told them that the dealer factory installed remote start and everything was done OEM and the technician told me he would consult with his tech team and get back to me. After a brief hold, he came back and said they were able to confirm that the remote start capability was unlocked for the remote key fob in the RemoteLink app. He said all I had to do was delete/reinstall the app and then log in again for the changes to take effect. I was ecstatic and thought this issue was finally resolved.

I did that and no dice. Still only showing lock/unlock and horn. No remote start. So I call back and told the tech what just happened. They transferred me this time to their tech support department who told me that if my hardware was a Generation 9 Global A unit that they could enable remote start. Because my hardware is a Generation 9 NON Global A, they are not able to activate remote start. Anyone know if there's any truth to this? Going to call them back in the AM as I think that's a load of BS and their offices just closed 5 minutes ago. I guess that's what I get for getting my hopes up.

#372 ·
I can't say I know everything, but I've never heard of 'Gen 9 Global A' or 'Gen 9 Non Global A' - Far as I know, Gen9 is Gen9. I can't imagine GM would have one model VICM for vehicles with Remote start and another for those without... It's POSSIBLE that they were able to make the change but it may take time for it to get through their system and get to the app. When I changed from the Directions & Connections, to Safe & Sound it took a bit, but the 'Send to Nav' option in the app went away while the 'Send to turn to turn' remained (Seems backwards to me.... You'd think turn by turn would have gone away).

If it doesn't show up and they keep saying yes we changed it and/or telling you it's not working because of 'x', they might be giving you the runaround like they did for me.

Before I put the first Gen9 VICM into my 2010, I called up Onstar and asked them about doing the swap - the first guy I spoke to said yes, no problem, and things would work better with the new VICM (Wish I could have gotten his name/employee number/extension). After I did the swap and called back, when I told them what I did, they basically said we can't do that. I finally got them to 'try activating' it, and they claimed they tried, but they kept coming back saying it was giving errors. They 'sent it up to engineering' and such. I can't tell you how many times I was on the phone trying to get it activated. Always the same thing: It's erroring. It must be some incompatibility with the older car. They played dumb, hoping I didn't know how things really work. In the end, after determining that the car I got it from didn't have remote start (I already knew it didn't have NAV, but I attempted reprogramming it with the calibration for NAV - don't know if it actually took), I said the heck with it and started looking for a black CTS4 3.6 sedan. The closest I found was a black CTS4 3.6 Coupe that had remote start and NAV so I grabbed it. After I got it installed, contacted them through the blue button, told them I just got this car and wanted to activate Onstar. Activated no problem and has worked 100% since. I have no doubt that if I had told them the same thing about putting the 2011 module into my2010, the outcome would have been the same as the first time around.

Point being, if it's a change they don't support or understand, they may 'try to help you', trying to make you feel like they're being nice and doing something, but you might never get anywhere. On the ohte rhand, you might actually get someone that has a clue and can/will help you. It's a crapshoot, but the odds are stacked against you.

#373 ·
Thanks Cougar -- that's a trend I've definitely picked up on: OnStar either has a ton of incompetent technicians working for them or they're not allowed to tell you the truth, and instead masquerade behind "I tried to help you but it doesn't seem to be working, sorry."

I just called again 20 minutes ago through my blue button this time and was transferred to tech support again. This time the guy told me it would be escalated to their senior technicians who would do the programming on that level and then call me back with results in 3-5 business days. I tried to search online for global A and nonglobal A and came up with nothing, I think that tech was full of it.

Hopefully they're able to get this to work, it doesn't make sense that you'd need a different hardware unit to remotely start the vehicle when all the other commands work just fine. I'll post my results as I get them, here's hoping for the best at this point. What a nightmare this has been.

#375 · (Edited)
Thanks Cougar -- that's a trend I've definitely picked up on: OnStar either has a ton of incompetent technicians working for them or they're not allowed to tell you the truth, and instead masquerade behind "I tried to help you but it doesn't seem to be working, sorry."

I just called again 20 minutes ago through my blue button this time and was transferred to tech support again. This time the guy told me it would be escalated to their senior technicians who would do the programming on that level and then call me back with results in 3-5 business days. I tried to search online for global A and nonglobal A and came up with nothing, I think that tech was full of it.

Hopefully they're able to get this to work, it doesn't make sense that you'd need a different hardware unit to remotely start the vehicle when all the other commands work just fine. I'll post my results as I get them, here's hoping for the best at this point. What a nightmare this has been.
Boy does that sound familiar.

I REALLY don't think there's different hardware. As far as remote start, there isn't different firmware for the VICM (There IS different firmware depending on if you have NAV or not). I suspect this all comes down to what gets programmed into Onstars system when the car is built and the build data for the ESN and associated VIN is transmitted to Onstar. There REALLY is no TECHNICAL reason why it can't be done - Anyone that's installed a 2011+ VICM into an older car and called Onstar telling them 'I just bought tnis car blah blah blah' can attest to the fact that ALL functions work 100% (Assuming you get a VICM out of an identically equipped car). It comes down to their policy, I'd assume, or just lack of knowledge and inability to 'think outside the box' (My script says a 2011 VICM can't be installed in an older car so I have no idea what to do). Friend of mine installed a '12 GMT-900 VICM into his 08 Silverado - Works like a champ.

I could maybe see issues if you tried to install Gen10 LTE VICM from a 2015 CTS (I THINK the 2015 CTS got a LTE VICM) into a 2nd Gen, but OTOH, it might actually work...

#374 ·
OK, up front, this is just to make you smile and relieve some stress....

If you really want to start your car with a cell phone, hire an 18 year old kid with a cell phone to sit at your car with the remote in hand. When you want to start the car, send him a text, or call him. He'll start the car and when you gete there it will be running as expected. Then just take the remote back and stuff the kid in the trunk till you need him again. Once a week toss a pizza and some beer in the trunk, he'll be happy till you sell the car! :)

#377 ·
The 5 minutes till close sounds like you hit the nail on the head there. Maybe next time try much earlier in the day. After that tech can't help, wait 5 minutes so that line is consumed by another call and try again till you get a tech that does understand what can be done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.