2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; ...
    C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Re: 2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 Onstar w/ Bluetooth Success

I was just looking over the Cadillac site to see if the 2010 base model still came with leatherette seats and noticed that the base sedan does not come with "Bluetooth", seems odd that it would not be part of the On* bundle.
    From the Cadillac list of model comparisons
    "Trim Specific Features
    Please note features to the right may be in addition to, or in place of, features in other trims.

3.0L V6 (RWD)

Bluetooth® Connectivity9 Not Available"

scoutpilot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS 08

So, the mod worked great. As noted, the only issue is that the box doesn't connect to OnStar. I am trying to figure out whether my box is one of the ones that falls under the recall. My box was sourced from AutoCraft Electronics, which is the outfit that GM dealers are supposed to go through for new OnStar boxes. Anyone know which serial numbers it applies to?

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gramzster View Post
    While yes that is technically true, I do not recommend it. While you may not want the OnStar, it could cause problems for whoever may purchase the car after you if they want OnStar..... either that or just make sure you hold on to the old module and swap it back in whenever you decide to sell the car.
    Sage advice. But my car already has bluetooth. I just wanted confirmation for others who might want to add bluetooth, but dont use onstar.

The GM bluetooth is fantastic. The gentleman I bought the module from honored my word that the module didn't connect to OnStar. He refunded half my money at my request, so I ended up with bluetooth for $100. Not a bad deal!

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

The bluetooth in the CTS does have the best sound quality I have heard yet. Better than Parrot, better than Nissan and Infiniti, and better than Lexus. Those are the only other bluetooth I have used.

matthayes3741 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 14 CTSV Wagon (past 13 SRX-4 Prem, 08 CTS, 05 Escalade EXT)

Well thanks to Gram, Roger, and CSalmon! I installed the 8.1 Onstar module (purchased from Roger, Canada) on Saturday. Hardest part of the install was unplugging the blue and purple connectors without breaking them. I was easily able to get the tray off using a 1/4" ratchet and 9mm socket (I believe). For an update, my tray had 3 nuts in the front and one in the back as well as the bolt and nut in back as well. I did not need to fashion a wrench to a paint stick as the bolt did not turn with the nut, after breaking everything loose with the socket, I used my hands to remove.

This morning I took the car to Allen Cadillac in Laguna Niguel, Ca and they did the Onstar setup in 30 minutes or so. They charged $53 (which I gladly paid). I called Onstar on my way to work using the Onstar call button and ten minutes late my car was associated with 8.1! This makes the car a 9.5 out of 10 in my book. Up from a 7.5 (not coming with BT). That's just my opinion anyways. I would definitely recommend this upgrade to anyone lacking BT!

Thanks again!

Sure would have loved to get a working module. Guess the second guy to ask Roger gets to buy his stuff. I suppose I'll keep looking and spend more money.

Scout,

This may be a stupid question, but you did take your car to the dealership and have them perform the Onstar setup right? Mine didn't connect either, all I had was a red light until they did the setup. I'm sorry that yours didn't fully work... at least you have bluetooth though! That's all I ever cared about.

gm85 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, 2007 DTS, 2011 DTS

Matt, glad to hear it all worked out!

One quick question: Does the Caller ID appear with your incoming OnStar and Bluetooth calls, or does it say "UNAVAILABLE?"

Scout, Have you tried contacting Nordstroms Automotive? Maybe they can source them from a salvaged vehicles if you provide them with the two part #s

I don't know about you guys, but I have found Nordstroms to be unhelpful. I'm hoping to find another module at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramzster View Post
    Matt, glad to hear it all worked out!

One quick question: Does the Caller ID appear with your incoming OnStar and Bluetooth calls, or does it say "UNAVAILABLE?"

Scout, Have you tried contacting Nordstroms Automotive? Maybe they can source them from a salvaged vehicles if you provide them with the two part #s
    Yes it does Gram, also yesterday the radio even started to announce the number of the person calling. Perhaps it always will do this, but I answer it before it has the chance. But overall, yes it displays the number. Unfortunately I have an iPhone 3G (for now) which does not support stored voice calling, so to make a call handsfree I have to know everyone's number (that or use my phone to call, which I gladly do).

agreif is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS DI AWD

Gramzster, numbers also come up in my wife's car with her blackberry 8330.

gm85 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, 2007 DTS, 2011 DTS

Interesting. Agreif your car also has the 8.0 module correct? hmm Maybe I can ask Onstar about it.

Everything else appears on the DIC, (Dialed Numbers, Minutes, "Connecting to OnStar"), however incoming calls appear as "UNKNOWN".

I originally though it was due to my phone (Blackberry 8900.... which I would expect to support Caller ID over Bluetooth), but when I activated OnStar, I found it was happenining to incoming OnStar calls too.

agreif is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS DI AWD

Oh, let me clarify, she doesn't use onstar for the calls (I still haven't even reassociated it), purely bluetooth to phone.

EdGrimley is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Gramzter, understand that you installed the gen 8.0 unit (25990227) correct? Have you experienced any of the problems that have been documented with gen 8.0 and led to the release of the 8.1 unit (20787642)? Reason I ask is that I have bought a gen 8.0 unit myself to put in my March 08 CTS (missed bluetooth by 3 weeks!) and am ready to install, but want to know if I should keep looking for a gen 8.1 unit, approach my dealer to try to get the 8.0 upgraded to 8.1 through the recall program, or just go ahead regardless and hope for the best.

Thanks by the way for the original groundwork on this project and excellent install guidance. (In advance of the install, I have drilled a small hole in the rear deck under the bolt in question so I can get a socket on it if necessary - seemed like a prudent investment of 5 minutes!)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.