How to change your own oil (with pictures)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, How to change your own oil (with pictures) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; ~Writeup originally posted by louiefl99 Click here for All Wheel Drive -------------------------------------------------------------- In an effort to reduce engine noise Cadillac ...
    The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

How to change your own oil (with pictures)

~Writeup originally posted by louiefl99

Click here for All Wheel Drive

--------------------------------------------------------------
    In an effort to reduce engine noise Cadillac has added a shroud under the engine and revised the one over the top of the engine. Both of these need to be removed in order to access the filter on top and the drain plug below.

From under the hood, unscrew the oil filler cap and then wiggle the shroud – you will notice something is holding the left side intact. Pull the left side straight up about 2 inches to release. Next slide the top shroud forward until it clears the strut tower cross brace. The picture shows it upside down, the two lugs on the rear are visible at the bottom of the picture as is the conical seat in the upper left for the latch, and the oil filler hole on the right.

At this point you might want to replace the filler cap in case you drop a socket. This should take all of 60 seconds to do.

The bottom shroud is held by three push pins accessed from the front bumper and four screws (two each side) accessed from behind each front tire. The screws are shown in the picture for a visual aid, but they are not captive and will fall when released. Remove all 4 screws using a 10 mm nut driver – the shroud will not drop as there are two plastic clips (the rectangular holes between the two screws) that will hold the weight of the shroud.

Reaching under the front bumper, wiggle the shroud and you will see that there are three push pins holding the shroud as is shown by the arrows on the silver duct tape. Only remove these as there are other push pins for other components. The push pins have two slots, one under the head and one between the pin and the shroud. Rotate the push pin until you can see the one under the head. Using a small flat bladed screwdriver, gently twist the blade until the head pulls away enough to grab it and then pull down. The head will pop out about a half inch (or all the way if you pull hard enough) and then remove the body. These are reusable if you pull the head straight out of the body.

To reassemble, I slid a 12-pack box under the shroud, installed the screws hand tight and then slid in the push pins. I went back and tightened the 4 screws using a nut driver. Removal was about 10 minutes to do this the first time, but the next time I could have all the shrouds removed in less than 5. Putting it back together took 2 minutes. Best part is that you do not have to jack up the car to do this.

Here are a couple pictures with the engine top shroud removed. The picture with the element visible is resting on the housing, the other picture show it fully installed.

If you can change your own oil, removing the shroud isn’t that hard; understanding how to get the push pins apart was my biggest challenge. Good luck!
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lcqvenyc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: How to change your own oil (with pictures)

Very nice write-up. Is it possible to reset the computer oil indicator too?

crystal_red is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT/LIGHT TITANIUM

Yes, instructions to reset the oil life indicator are in your owners manual.

CTS Z06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by lcqvenyc View Post
    Very nice write-up. Is it possible to reset the computer oil indicator too?
    Bring up the oil life % on the DIC...hold in the check button until is clears back to 100%

CTS Z06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

Here are some step by step instructions mostly from the manual...with some info I added, like tools and what size sockets to use.

Tools required: paper towels, oil funnel, 6 point 24mm socket, 15mm socket, 10mm socket, socket driver, Nm / inch pound torque wrench, 1/2” to 3/8” socket adaptor*, small & medium flat blade screw drivers (or other suitable tool to remove push pin), floor jack, 2 jack stands.
    1. Remove oil fill cap, place paper towel in filler neck
    2. Disengage the engine cover/shield from the ball studs by pulling up firmly on the right and left front of the engine cover
    a. Pull the cover forward and off to remove from the rear tabs
    3. Remove the oil filter cap with a 6 point 24mm socket
    4. Remove and discard the oil filter cartridge
    5. Raise and support the vehicle see note 1
    a. Use a low profile floor jack with a hockey puck in the jack cradle
    b. Lift vehicle from side just past the front fender
    c. Place jack cradle under frame rail just behind a round punched out circle
    d. Raise enough to create a comfortable work space under engine
    e. Place jack stand under frame rail just ahead of punched out circle
    f. Slowly lower jack
    g. Repeat for other side
    6. Remove lower under engine cover
    a. Remove 3 of the 4 bolts with a 10mm socket, loosen 4th but do not remove
    b. Remove push pin at front of shield
    i. Note my 2009 only has one pin not 3
    ii. Find notch on pin flange
    iii. With a small flat blade screw driver push in while pulling down on the pin base
    iv. Pull entire push pin assembly out when the center pin is down
    c. Hold shield up with one hand while removing loose 4th bolt
    d. Remove shield
    7. Place a suitable drain below the oil drain plug
    8. Remove oil pan drain plug with 15mm socket
    9. Allow oil to drain completely
    10. Install oil pan drain plug and new o-ring seal see note 2, Tighten to 20 Nm (15 lb ft) see note 3
    11. Lower vehicle
    12. Install new oil filter cartridge
    13. Lubricate oil filter cap threads with clean engine oil
    14. Install oil filter cap, tighten see note 4 to 25 Nm (18 lb in) see note 3
    15. Pull paper towel from oil filler neck and fill with 6 quarts of Mobil 1
    16. Replace engine cover
    a. Raise front of cover while inserting the rear tabs
    b. Lower the front edge of cover and slide rearward so that the rear tabs slide under the retainers
    c. Align the cover over the oil fill tube
    d. Press cover down firmly on the ball stud at the right front corner
    17. Replace oil filler cap
    Note1 as previously shown it is possible to drain without lifting vehicle
    Note2 IMHO not necessary for every oil change
    Note3 instructions in step 10 & 14 state torque specs as 20 Nm – 15 lb ft and 25 Nm – 18 lb in. this appears to be an error, as one states foot pounds and the other inch pounds
    Note4 instructions highlight this spec to be important to follow
    *tools note: a Nm / inch pound torque wrench is a 3/8” drive but the 24mm socket is a ½” drive, thus the need for the adaptor
    CTS_ likes this.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

I use ramps. So I do not have to jack the car up. Much easier for me.
    Otherwise the instruction is very good!

atikovi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Professional Chassis Raised Roof Presidential Limousine

You might want to add that since the drain plug is at the right rear of the oil pan it's best to drive the car up on ramps and even better if the left ramp is a little higher than the right so as much of the old oil drains out as possible. Also the drain plug takes a 15mm socket, the oil filter a 24mm with about a foot of extensions and maybe a breaker bar since it can be tight.

crystal_red is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT/LIGHT TITANIUM

I use a Griot's Garage fluid extractor and suck the old oil out thru the dipstick tube. No jacks, no ramps, no removing drain plugs, no crawling under the car at all. Takes about 15 minutes including the filter change!

I tried it with one of those but the hose wouldn't go all the way down the dipstick tube. I could suck less than a quart out.

beanjapan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

GM Service Manual states that the tightening torque spec for the oil filter cap, and the drain plug are both 25 Nm / 18 lb-ft.

Also, the service manual states that lubrication must be applied to the threads of the oil filter cap prior to installation. Failure to lubricate the oil filter cap threads can hinder later removal and cause possible oil filter cap damage.

The new style drain plugs GM is using are pretty neat. No need for a separate washer, they have a built-in rubber seal that should stop leaks better than a metal gasket.

The oil filter cap has a thin o-ring that I assume is reusable as the filter doesn't include one. You need to oil that so it won't bind and tear as you screw the cap down. The seal isn't made by compressing down the o-ring, so as long as it's snug, it won't leak.

Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
    I tried it with one of those but the hose wouldn't go all the way down the dipstick tube. I could suck less than a quart out.
    Same here. Tried the extractor - it does not work on the CTS

Roger G. is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Red 08 CTS4 3.6DI

Quote Originally Posted by MoFex View Post
    Same here. Tried the extractor - it does not work on the CTS
    Make sure the oil is hot, more than 40°C. Then you should be able to get all the oil with such an extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger G. View Post
    Make sure the oil is hot, more than 40°C. Then you should be able to get all the oil with such an extractor.
    Roger

this is not a matter of oil temperature. I was unable to push the tube deep enough.

Tri-SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 CTS-V

Any thoughts on when the first oil change should occur? I'm at approx 6000kms. I think its time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.