How to change your own oil (with pictures) - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, How to change your own oil (with pictures) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; You are in the second generation forum, Tia. You have a first generation. There are lots of threads about the ...
    X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: How to change your own oil (with pictures)

You are in the second generation forum, Tia. You have a first generation. There are lots of threads about the ATF change but it isn't at all easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by CADDYPRINCESS View Post
    Can you do one of these for the trans oil ? Please tia

mardjo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 cts rwd

how do i access the pictures?

CTS4MATION is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4

I didnt see this mentioned in here,..... what oil are you guys using? Im assuming 5-30 mobil 1 but any particular kind? Are they meant to be run on full synthetic?

Thanks for the info!

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Yes, full synthetic Mobil1. I use the 5 quarts from Wally World and add a quart of 10W-40 for my 6th quart.

Since I live in Florida we have the heat for quite a long time, hence the additional quart of 40 weight vs. 30 weight.

jimtreber is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by cadillacmike68 View Post
    Watch out on this. I broke a filter cover in two because it was too tight on my wife's 2005 CTS. That oil change ended up costing me $350. The dealer recommends using an impact driver (sort of a drill with a socket on it) if its tight because it is very easy to misalign the force applied across a long breaker bar and just snap off that cover!
    This was my concern. The dealer did the first oil change. When I did it the first time, I couldn't get the filter cap off even with a breaker bar. I ended up using my impact gun to get it off. I'm really glad that I didn't break the cover. No doubt, it was much tighter than the 18 ft lbs posted here.

jimtreber is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    ~Writeup originally posted by louiefl99

Click here for All Wheel Drive

--------------------------------------------------------------
    In an effort to reduce engine noise Cadillac has added a shroud under the engine and revised the one over the top of the engine. Both of these need to be removed in order to access the filter on top and the drain plug below.

(snip)

If you can change your own oil, removing the shroud isn’t that hard; understanding how to get the push pins apart was my biggest challenge. Good luck!
    I just want to show my appriciation for your instructional post. I surely would have been frustrated big time had I not seen it before I did my first oil change. I now keep it printed out in my garage.

kriker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX, 2012 CTS

On my 2012 CTS AWD you only have to remove the four 10mm bolts to remove the shield and access the drain plug. The plug itself is 15mm and it's on the left (driver's) side. Be sure to stay safe and use jack stands before you crawl under.

dleone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Wagon 3.6

Just read through this thread as I'm planning to do the oil change on our 2010 Wagon 3.6L. Thanks everybody for the very helpful information!! To those of you who are using ramps: are you still jacking the car higher than the ramps? (for safety, I assume - or do you let the car stand on the ramps while crawling under??) If you jack it higher, won't the ramps be in the way for putting jack stands behind the front wheels?

I drive my wagon onto a 2 x 6 and then up the ramps. I chock my rear wheel.

denny2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6 DI AWD Red
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman
    I drive my wagon onto a 2 x 6 and then up the ramps. I chock my rear wheel.
    So you just need to raise the car 2 inches to get it on the ramps? I have the same ramps and I'm trying to figure out how to drive it up them

Thanks

I actually use one longer 2x6 and place a shorter one on top of that to drive up on. That way I don't have a huge "bump" to initially drive up on.

JCBCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Base Manual Tran

I have an 08 also...no shroud underneath. I don't see how you could get to the filter without taking the engine shroud off though...No tools necessary for it so you may have just missed him take it off. I find that a bit more oil pours out when you take the filter out so I would definitely remove it before putting the drain plug back in.

ChiefGeek is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Does anyone know the replacement part number or source of these push pins? I have had my 2008 CTS di for a couple months now and am getting a very noticeable vibration drone recently from about 40mph and up. Crawling under the car I notice the shrouds don't appear to have been put on properly, the one behind the front one overlaps it and several of the push pins are loose, the center of the pin coming down about 1/4"-1/2". I found sources for retainer pins, but not sure which is the right one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Pus..._com_s/154.htm

rbostic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by krazienluv10 View Post
    has anyone else have any luck with the fluid extractor? or perhaps can also vouch for "griots garage fluid extractor" ... it feels kinda iffy if one person tired it and it works while others say it doesnt. checked out prices for griots and its about $100 shipped, a little too expensive to try out for an experiment.
    My 2 cents on the fluid extractor. I recently changed my oil with an extractor that I picked up from West Marine
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs..._-1?icid=HF3_8 about - about $80.00

Someone else posted that they had problems about the line not getting into the crankcase. I had that same problem as the hard plastic lines it comes with are not flexible enough to navigate a hard corner in the dipstick tube. I picked up some smaller diameter vinyl tubing that was able to navigate the corner and get into the crankcase. The diameter of the line was very small and the extraction took a few hours but at the end I was satisfied that the extractor had done its job.

So it can and does work - things to look out for:
    The tubing I picked up is only good to 125 degrees. So if the car is hot the lines may melt. If you can find some higher performance tubing, may not be an issue or you can just do it the first thing in the morning.

The extraction was very slow. It may have been due to the diameter of the tubing that I was using but it took over 5 hours for the vacuum to complete

CTSRags is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS 4 3.6L AWD

For oil changes im a bit of a freak. Oil is key to life of engine. I first drive 500 KMs yes just 500 then drain oil and ensure I save first ounce in a small 1oz glass bottle. I put in new oil new filter and slick 50, most important I put a magnet on drain plug if not already magnetized. Then drive 1500 do same and then back to normal manufacturer needs or as I do every 5,000km or each of the 4 seasons of the year which every occurs first. Reason for freak approach is that any metal filings or contaminates in engine from the factory get taken out right away at that 500km point. The glass bottle and sample is to check for metal filings and contaminates. if you see them and there is alot then colour and touch can indicate what is the problem. I also keep it and if theres an issue then write a letter advise of the sample and keep bottle for later litigation if needed. On the second oil change at 1500 keep another sample this should be clean if not then you have a wear problem in engine. If al is good then you got a great start to your engine and it will last a long time. I get 500,000 plus on most of my engines with no problems. I have never had to open one up yet under 500,000. At about the 100,000 interval I do the glass bottle thing for warranty and then after that at each 100,000 just to see what is going on in my engine. If you know what to look for you can identify the part that is wearing out before it fails and causes other issues and wear.
    Just my freakis approach to oil but it has served me very well over the decades. No body has ever outlasted my engines. It was always sad to let them go to junk yard with perfect engines no burning oil no noise no problems just rust through.

Rags

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.