How to change your own oil (with pictures) - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, How to change your own oil (with pictures) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by PGH STEELERS Here's a noob question and sorry, I haven't looked at the owners manual. How many ...
    stevey_frac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: How to change your own oil (with pictures)

Quote Originally Posted by PGH STEELERS View Post
    Here's a noob question and sorry, I haven't looked at the owners manual. How many quarts does the (08) 3.6 AWD Caddy take?
    I don't believe the AWD part matters at all. Both the regular and DI 3.6L engines take 6.1 quarts.

pesticidal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS, 2010 awd

Quote Originally Posted by crystal_red View Post
    I use a Griot's Garage fluid extractor and suck the old oil out thru the dipstick tube. No jacks, no ramps, no removing drain plugs, no crawling under the car at all. Takes about 15 minutes including the filter change!

I wish the CTS had a tube like my MB SLK. The dipstick tube goes all the way to the bottom, and I just clamp a 3/4" hose on it and suck it out with a small pump.

akakillroy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium in White Diamond Tricoat

Has anyone seen or used this one?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/6-1-4-q...tor-46149.html

akakillroy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium in White Diamond Tricoat

2011 you get free oil changes for the first 4 years so what am I worried about ;-)

08 CTS4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 AWD

Ok I feel a bit like a dumbass since I know my way around a car, but I cant seem to find the oil drain plug ?
    Ive got an 08', and crawled around under the car looking for the plug, and its no where to be found. The pictures that are attached are not the same bottom end as what i see ?
    Long story short, I dont see anything that would be a definate drain plug ??????

Any help would be appreciated.

08 CTS4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 AWD

I'lll add that its an AWD, so a bit different, but still no definate plug in sight ?

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

I watch mechanics do most of my oil changes - just had one done today - 08 CTS RWD. Never saw the mechanic remove any shroud underneath the car. Drain plug was fully accessable.

Curious that oil was also drained and plug reinstalled and then filter was removed/replaced. I realize that filter sits upright on top so I guess oil naturally drains out completely when drain plug is removed. Not like the old style - upside down filter installs.

Didnt see him take the upper shroud out either - must have just moved it slightly to gain full access to filter - but maybe not. Not sure.

ceperlar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS4 2011

2011 CTS 4, Good Directions. Followed them and even no spills. BUT tried to follow the oil maintenance light reset instructions in the manual. No luck, the reminder light won't go out. Any suggestions? 10/26/11

GT!
    GT! is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Silver 2010 Sedan 3.6 AWD

I had an idea to make oil changes easier. As we know the filter is easily accessible, but the drain plug is a lot more effort. How about installing a Fumoto valve on the drain plug - the one with the hose (http://www.qwikvalve.com/). Make a small hole for the hose to permanently hang down a couple of inches. Then make another cutout big enough to reach in with your hand to work the valve. Save the cutout and put some kind of hinge-type mechanism (perhaps just some stiff rubber) to make it a clean install.

Does this sound like it will work? I've only just got my 2nd gen CTS and have not done an oil change on it. Comments?

BTW, I'm not looking for comments on the merits of the Fumoto valve itself (I know some people don't trust them).

-GT

krazienluv10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

has anyone else have any luck with the fluid extractor? or perhaps can also vouch for "griots garage fluid extractor" ... it feels kinda iffy if one person tired it and it works while others say it doesnt. checked out prices for griots and its about $100 shipped, a little too expensive to try out for an experiment.

atikovi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Professional Chassis Raised Roof Presidential Limousine

Used that all the time when I lived in a townhouse where you arn't supposed to be working on your car. Works great. But if the filter is under the car, you have to drive up on ramps anyway and crawl under the car so you still need a drain pan.

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
    You might want to add that since the drain plug is at the right rear of the oil pan it's best to drive the car up on ramps and even better if the left ramp is a little higher than the right so as much of the old oil drains out as possible. Also the drain plug takes a 15mm socket, the oil filter a 24mm with about a foot of extensions and maybe a breaker bar since it can be tight.
    Watch out on this. I broke a filter cover in two because it was too tight on my wife's 2005 CTS. That oil change ended up costing me $350. The dealer recommends using an impact driver (sort of a drill with a socket on it) if its tight because it is very easy to misalign the force applied across a long breaker bar and just snap off that cover!

ceperlar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS4 2011

THX for the PIX and the "experience" posts. They help a lot. #2 change next week will go much better. Next project is cabin air filter.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by ceperlar
    THX for the PIX and the "experience" posts. They help a lot. #2 change next week will go much better. Next project is cabin air filter.
    Not to take away from the thread but the in-cabin air filter will be much easier than the oil change! 5 minute job...

CADDYPRINCESS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cadillac cts 03

Can you do one of these for the trans oil ? Please tia

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.