How to change your own oil (with pictures) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, How to change your own oil (with pictures) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; 6000 kms (3750 miles) is way too soon. Depending on the oil used, every year or 16,250 kms (10,000 miles) ...
    crystal_red is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT/LIGHT TITANIUM

Re: How to change your own oil (with pictures)

6000 kms (3750 miles) is way too soon. Depending on the oil used, every year or 16,250 kms (10,000 miles) is more than sufficient.

caddieboy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS White Diamond base, 1992 Brougham White/White 5.7

Quote Originally Posted by crystal_red View Post
    6000 kms (3750 miles) is way too soon. Depending on the oil used, every year or 16,250 kms (10,000 miles) is more than sufficient.
    My first oil change was at 21,000 km (13,000 miles)... I'm pretty confident in modern day oil technology and engines.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

I checked shop manual and it states 18 lb ft of torque for both drain plug and filter cup. It is good as a 3/8 torque wrench can be used.

bklynbob is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by caddieboy View Post
    My first oil change was at 21,000 km (13,000 miles)... I'm pretty confident in modern day oil technology and engines.
    The only problem is the oil filter in these cars is probably clogged by 8,000 miles.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Quote Originally Posted by bklynbob View Post
    The only problem is the oil filter in these cars is probably clogged by 8,000 miles.
    Why would you say that? Do you have any proof?

Modern filter and synthetic oils last much longer. 3,000 miles oil change myth is just that - MYTH!

johnachak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 3.6DI, Crystal Red, Polished aluminun, Bose/Nav

Sorry but I couldn't get either of the extractor tubes down the dipstick far enough. It hits something on the way down.

Since the filter is on the top and easily accessable, I change mine approx. every 2000 miles. $5.oo every few months is VERY cheap insurance.

bklynbob is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoFex View Post
    Why would you say that? Do you have any proof?

Modern filter and synthetic oils last much longer. 3,000 miles oil change myth is just that - MYTH!
    No proof.That filter is fairly small in area,though.I use amsoil synthetic media filters on my Harley,the filter media on the stocker looks to be paper compared to the amsoil filter.Yes the oils today are superior,but it is soeasy to change the filter on these cars,it's cheap peace of mind.I guess the only way to know is to have it analyzed.

I tried ramps but the front air dam of the car is so low, it just pushes them. Do you have a lowered version?
    This has been making me crazy. I have an old fashioned garage jack but I haven't seen anywhere underneath I am positive is a "Jacking" pad. With most cars it is VERY obvious.

I have a copy of the technical manuals and the simplest one appears to be missing. Everything refers to: "See: Maintenance\Vehicle Lifting\Service and Repair" and I have been unable to find it. The owners manual just shows the jacking locations for the spare tire jack.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynbob View Post
    No proof.That filter is fairly small in area,though.I use amsoil synthetic media filters on my Harley,the filter media on the stocker looks to be paper compared to the amsoil filter.Yes the oils today are superior,but it is soeasy to change the filter on these cars,it's cheap peace of mind.I guess the only way to know is to have it analyzed.
    The exceptionally small size of the filter is what makes me want to change it as I do. Somewhere deep down inside, I just feel it's too small to trap everything from 8,000+ miles. Not that I would leave my oil in that long anyway, I wouldn't be able to sleep after 6,000... ;-). The mileage is really not the limiting factor in our CTS anyway. The car only gets driven aroung 4,000 mileas a year and except for our ROAD TRIPS (Yeah Baby), My wife's commute in it is only around 4 miles each way... We live in the Northeast too. The short trips and cold winter weather add to my worries about the oil & filter longevity.

ExtinctBird is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS AWD 3.6DI

Quote Originally Posted by johnachak View Post
    I tried ramps but the front air dam of the car is so low, it just pushes them. Do you have a lowered version?
    This has been making me crazy. I have an old fashioned garage jack but I haven't seen anywhere underneath I am positive is a "Jacking" pad. With most cars it is VERY obvious.

I have a copy of the technical manuals and the simplest one appears to be missing. Everything refers to: "See: Maintenance\Vehicle Lifting\Service and Repair" and I have been unable to find it. The owners manual just shows the jacking locations for the spare tire jack.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks all.
    I use Rhino Ramps, which have a fairly low angle of ascent, but I also lay a couple of 2x8 boards in front of the ramps. This gets the car enough of up in the air to allow it to then go up the ramps without problems with the lower air dam.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtinctBird View Post
    I use Rhino Ramps, which have a fairly low angle of ascent, but I also lay a couple of 2x8 boards in front of the ramps. This gets the car enough of up in the air to allow it to then go up the ramps without problems with the lower air dam.
    Thanks for the response!
    Nice idea, I'll try that. Stagger / stack 2 each side enough do you think? Please give me a Ballpark idea of about how long you made the 2X8's.
    Again, thanks,
    John

sampson is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I had the same problem with my 08 Corvette. I cut some rubber strips and riveted them to the front of the ramp so you drive on the rubber strip before ascending the ramp. The rubber traps the ramp under the car until you get up on it.

ExtinctBird is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS AWD 3.6DI

Thanks for the response!
    Nice idea, I'll try that. Stagger / stack 2 each side enough do you think? Please give me a Ballpark idea of about how long you made the 2X8's.
    Again, thanks,
    John
    I did not need to stack them. Just a 4' board in front of each ramp gave me the clearance I needed. You may need to stagger a couple if you have different ramps.

PGH STEELERS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS (3.6 AWD)

Here's a noob question and sorry, I haven't looked at the owners manual. How many quarts does the (08) 3.6 AWD Caddy take?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.