Difference between J55 and standard brakes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Difference between J55 and standard brakes in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Just been searching the web to get the specifics on the difference between the J55 and standard braking system in ...
    exm22psu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD Premium

Difference between J55 and standard brakes

Just been searching the web to get the specifics on the difference between the J55 and standard braking system in the CTS. Evidently, it's been taken off my 2009 AWD DI CTS, from 2008. Added Bluetooth and took away the brakes! Does anyone know the specific differences? pads? rotors? calipers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Re: Difference between J55 and standard brakes

2009 CTS brakes

FE1, FE2 : 12.4 inch front rotors with aluminum calipers.
    FE3 (J55): 13.6 inch front rotors with cast iron calipers, plus bonus brake dust!

FWIW, I ordered RWD FE2 instead of FE3 primarily because I did not want J55 brakes and summer-only tires.

crystal_red is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT/LIGHT TITANIUM

Question Re: Difference between J55 and standard brakes

Quick question - What is the easiest way to know if you have FE1, FE2, or FE3 components?

Northern SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6

Quote Originally Posted by crystal_red View Post
    Quick question - What is the easiest way to know if you have FE1, FE2, or FE3 components?
    Check the SPID for the proper RPOs. The SPID in the CTS is located on the underside of the spare tire compartment cover. You can look up your other RPOs here: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/rpo/.

Mine is an '09 AWD and the SPID very clearly lists FE2 but there's no J55 code.

cengel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Are the pads different? I have the J55 and went to NAPA to get ceramics. They told me there was only one size pad for the CTS. Made me worry a bit.

crystal_red is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT/LIGHT TITANIUM

Quote Originally Posted by Northern SRX View Post
    Check the SPID for the proper RPOs. The SPID in the CTS is located on the underside of the spare tire compartment cover. You can look up your other RPOs here: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/rpo/.

Mine is an '09 AWD and the SPID very clearly lists FE2 but there's no J55 code.
    Thanks! Yeah, I have the same: FE2, but no J55. You would think in the DI AWD they would have used the heavy duty brakes. Oh well

cts_mark is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Black Cherry CTS4 - FE2, J55

Weird. I have an '08 with FE2 with J55 brakes...at least I think I do. I know I have J55 brakes and the last time I looked at my codes I expected to see FE3 but I saw FE2. Mine is a strangely configured car

-Mark

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Quote Originally Posted by cts_mark View Post
    Weird. I have an '08 with FE2 with J55 brakes...Mine is a strangely configured car
    J55 was standard in FE2/Y42 AWD models (2008), subsequently deleted from AWD models (2009), and now available and included only in FE3/Y43 RWD models.

exm22psu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD Premium

Does anyone know if the brake pads are the same? Also, does anyone know if you were to get the J55 calipers if then the larger rotors can be used? Or, are other components different?

yatesd is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by exm22psu View Post
    Does anyone know if the brake pads are the same? Also, does anyone know if you were to get the J55 calipers if then the larger rotors can be used? Or, are other components different?
    The brake pads are not the same...as the J55 brake pads are a high performance variety that tend to generate quite a bit of brake dust. Not sure if you would need any other components other than the caliper and the rotor.

cts_mark is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Black Cherry CTS4 - FE2, J55

Quote Originally Posted by 928S View Post
    J55 was standard in FE2/Y42 AWD models (2008), subsequently deleted from AWD models (2009), and now available and included only in FE3/Y43 RWD models.
    Thanks 928s

-Mark

jw38 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by yatesd View Post
    The brake pads are not the same...as the J55 brake pads are a high performance variety that tend to generate quite a bit of brake dust. Not sure if you would need any other components other than the caliper and the rotor.
    Correct...and ceramic pads are not yet available for the J55 set-up!

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by jw38 View Post
    Correct...and ceramic pads are not yet available for the J55 set-up!
    That's an amazing and unfortunate fact. Almost a year has passed since I helped put together a 'group buy' of a special run of ceramic pads for forum members having the J55 set-up on their CTS vehicles. You'd think that Tire Rack and others would be offering a (J55) ceramic brake pad set by now.
    Last year's thread that covered the J55 brake dust issue (along with my discovery of an Ontario supplier who agreed to provide special ceramic brake pad sets for interested CTS owners here who have the J55 set-up) was ultimately shut down by forum administration due to complaint(s) received from supporting vendor(s) of the forum. Too bad. Now it's up to the national after-market folks to make this model of ceramic pads available. It appears demand has been minimal, otherwise we'd have seen them by now. Demand will continue to remain low, particularly now that J55 is only available on Y43/FE3.
    Cheers
    RAB.

OneLapCoastie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI FE3

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    That's an amazing and unfortunate fact. Almost a year has passed since I helped put together a 'group buy' of a special run of ceramic pads for forum members having the J55 set-up on their CTS vehicles. You'd think that Tire Rack and others would be offering a (J55) ceramic brake pad set by now.
    Last year's thread that covered the J55 brake dust issue (along with my discovery of an Ontario supplier who agreed to provide special ceramic brake pad sets for interested CTS owners here who have the J55 set-up) was ultimately shut down by forum administration due to complaint(s) received from supporting vendor(s) of the forum. Too bad. Now it's up to the national after-market folks to make this model of ceramic pads available. It appears demand has been minimal, otherwise we'd have seen them by now. Demand will continue to remain low, particularly now that J55 is only available on Y43/FE3.
    Cheers
    RAB.

I got in on RAB's groups buy on the ceramics. It was a great deal and the dust is significantly less than the stock pads. While the J55's are nice brakes, I'd still like to move to a fixed caliper setup. Would be nice to know if the CTS-V setup will bolt on.

JPASS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 3.6 DI

Any updates on the availability of ceramic front pads for the 08 CTS J55 brake package? Would the Ontario supplier happen to have any extra's that they would to waant to sell? I cannot stand the constant dust. Thanks, JPass

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    Cheers
    RAB.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.