'09 CTS AWD 3.6 oil change - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, '09 CTS AWD 3.6 oil change in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi Chris: 08 CTS 4 15,126 miles. My CTS is a special car, used for special occasions and a few ...
    timandmax is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Re: '09 CTS AWD 3.6 oil change

Hi Chris: 08 CTS 4 15,126 miles. My CTS is a special car, used for special occasions and a few trips to Florida. PA has a annual inspection, and from 5/11/ to 5/12 I put on 1,679 miles. Last oil change by A GM Dealer was 10 months ago, Mobil 1 5W30 as required, and I have only put on abouty 1,200 miles, the oil change monitor indicates 88% remaining. Having read you exceptional post, my question, and I'm an old timer, 75, who has changed my own oil for a long time,.* Not on the CTS however.) is TIME. As an example, for years, even in some recent posts, you see 5,000 mlies or 6 months, which ever comes first. What has time, or age of the oil, have to do with its life expectancy? How can it go bad if just setting in the pan? Especialy synthetic. I'm beginning to think I shouild be changing my oil, although only 1200 miles, but almost a years life. Sure would appreciate your comments and many thanks.
    Tim Jones

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

GM's recommendation on when to change the oil is by the oil life monitor or once a year *whichever comes first)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

motorhead81 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4

Thanks for posting. Just got my CTS and found the filter canister and drain plug with help from forums like this. The upper shroud removal is next and I'll be set.
    2010 CTS4

dan87951 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Too many cars to list...

I changed my 2010 Cadillac CTS AWD 3.0 oil at 2,500 miles when I bought it new. There is a lot of break in shavings that collect in the oil filter and at the bottom of the oil pan and its very cheap insurance do this on a new car! After the first 2,500 mile change though I stick to 7500 mile oil changes or one year which ever is first. I have had a few blackstone lab tests done on my oil and they recommended not goingabove 8.5k miles between changes on my car so I do it at 7.5k to be safe. I'm also not your typical owner as when I buy a car I keep it a very long time *200k miles usually). My car now has 32k miles on it and it doesn't burn a drop of oil and after 7500 miles its still full on the dipstick. I have seen a few threads about oil consumption *as high as 1 quart per 1k miles) and it makes me wonder if these owners followed the OLM display or waited to long which caused premature wear on the engine?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by timandmax View Post
    Hi Chris: 08 CTS 4 15,126 miles. My CTS is a special car, used for special occasions and a few trips to Florida. PA has a annual inspection, and from 5/11/ to 5/12 I put on 1,679 miles. Last oil change by A GM Dealer was 10 months ago, Mobil 1 5W30 as required, and I have only put on abouty 1,200 miles, the oil change monitor indicates 88% remaining. Having read you exceptional post, my question, and I'm an old timer, 75, who has changed my own oil for a long time,.* Not on the CTS however.) is TIME. As an example, for years, even in some recent posts, you see 5,000 mlies or 6 months, which ever comes first. What has time, or age of the oil, have to do with its life expectancy? How can it go bad if just setting in the pan? Especialy synthetic. I'm beginning to think I shouild be changing my oil, although only 1200 miles, but almost a years life. Sure would appreciate your comments and many thanks.
    Tim Jones
    Moisture and other contaminants *gas) is the cause for why there is a time expectancy on oil.

JackB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD DI

That was an interesting comment regarding the timing belt tensioner and the reason for oil change. Would that not be what was causing the timing chain issues on the CTS and the reason Cadillac had the recall and reset the oil monitiors to shorten up oil change intervals?

Walt08CTS-4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-4

Hey all, I'm new to this site, but like what I see.......there are couple things about oil changes I didn't see mentioned.....

One is that with a NEW car, the machining is extra sharp, and small pieces of metal float in the oil. This can cause good and bad things to happen to a motor. Modern motors have much less this in either direction, but I'm old school and would absolutely change oil after the first 1000 miles in any new car.

The other is when you consider the cost of an oil change, especially an expensive one, you need to consider how much gas it takes you to get back and forth to a dealership as well as the time involved. Since I go to Costco or Walmart 2x each month, it's not extra cost for met to get the parts when I'm already there and my time is limited to how long the job takes. When you have it done at the dealer, you are paying for gas, your time, their insurance, equipment, margins, etc.........I was able to do an oil change on my C280 MBZ in 30 minutes without a lift and I spent less than $30 in parts. Taking it to the dealer was $10 in gas, 2 hours of my time, and $125. A clear no brainer. Not all situations are so clear cut, but hopefully my experience sheds a different perspective on a common question.

Outtamyway, thank you for an awesome post. I look forward to changing my oil, which I will do when "life" hits 10%.

rspreng is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Sedan RWD Radiant Silver|Ebony

This was a good read but does not sway my opinion. 3k miles is my change interval regardless. I have had countless cars with over 300k miles and never an issue and the heads look like new. Lets face it $14 for 5qt of Mobil clean 5000 and $5 dollar AC filter or ~$35 for synthetic plus a $8 cartridge filter is just cheap insurance. Oil is the life blood of the engine. No matter how good the air and oil filter there is always dirt getting in the oil. Ironic that GM issued a recall to reprogram the oil life sensor on my '11 Equinox last week to a more frequent basis, not sure what it was but I'd say too long.

jeffc83 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by rspreng
    This was a good read but does not sway my opinion. 3k miles is my change interval regardless. I have had countless cars with over 300k miles and never an issue and the heads look like new. Lets face it $14 for 5qt of Mobil clean 5000 and $5 dollar AC filter or ~$35 for synthetic plus a $8 cartridge filter is just cheap insurance. Oil is the life blood of the engine. No matter how good the air and oil filter there is always dirt getting in the oil. Ironic that GM issued a recall to reprogram the oil life sensor on my '11 Equinox last week to a more frequent basis, not sure what it was but I'd say too long.
    You do make a valid point there...GM stretched the oil change intervals a little too much. I change it at 3500k no matter what the "meter" says. *the dealer always tries to convince me otherwise) Guess I'm old school too.

Quote Originally Posted by rspreng View Post
    using mobil clean 5000 you better change your oil at 3000 miles

your OLM is not calibrated for that oil and if you go by the OLM you could possibly end up with problems

*and you do know that your oil change takes 6 quarts of oil, right?)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

rspreng is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Sedan RWD Radiant Silver|Ebony

Should have clarified Clean 5000 at 5 qts is used in my engines that do not require synthetic, should have said 6ts before the synthetic price.
    Yes, I know the Cadillac takes 6 qts.
    I don't look at the OLM since I change it at 3k miles. I just reset it when I change the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    using mobil clean 5000 you better change your oil at 3000 miles

your OLM is not calibrated for that oil and if you go by the OLM you could possibly end up with problems

*and you do know that your oil change takes 6 quarts of oil, right?)

MaxBuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 DI Blue Diamond

There's lots of discussion on nearly every auto's message boards about oil change interval. Bottom line is that with proper filtration, syn oils allow substantial extension of change interval, which can be verified via oil analysis. Changing syn oil at 3k is incredibly wasteful, but people will do what they'll do. Good syn oils can allow intervals well in excess of 20,000 miles easily. But doing so prudently requires one to collect oil samples for analysis regularly.

I changed my BMW 545i religiously in accord with its internal computer - typical change interval was 20k-25k miles. Tests on taxis have allowed intervals of 100,000 miles. But addition of a quart of fresh oil every ~10k miles to make up for losses is necessary to replace volatile or consumable additives that are necessary to extend the interval to that degree.

I plan to own this car for awhile, so I intend to observe the OLM and use nothing but pure synthetic oil that complies with Cadillac specs. Will consider adding a bypass filter - haven't quite decided yet.

timandmax is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Although I own a 08 CTS-4, I believe the power train is the same as the '09. As of now my odometer reads 15,245 miles and between Pennsylvania annual inspections one year apart, milage was 897. My OLM indicates since last dealer service oil/filter i have 74% remaining, however, it has been 15 months since that last service. Under those conditiions of limited use and the period between oil/filer of 15 months, is it safe to rely on the OLM or should a time period be considered and the potential of lubricabnt degredation become a factor?

Owners manual says change oil at zero percent or once a year. Whichever comes first.

Z71
    Z71 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD, 2012 Sierra Denali

Follow the money............................................. .........................
    About the only ones that really need a 3,000-mile oil change are the quick-lube outlets and dealership service departments. In their internal industry communications, they're frank about how oil changes bring in customers. "Many people...know when to have their oil changed but don't pay that much attention to it," said an article in the National Oil and Lube News online newsletter. "Take advantage of that by using a window sticker system [and] customers will be making their way back to you in a few short months."

Another National Oil and Lube News article tied the frequency of oil changes to success in pushing related products and services. For a midsize SUV, the stepped-up oil change intervals will bring in $1,800 over the life of the car, the article says."A few extra services [or oil changes] can go a long way toward increasing the amount of money a customer will spend during the lifespan we estimated here," the article concludes.
    I was at a lube conference years ago and a speaker from a major base oil supplier said the current craze for 3,000 mile oil changes was started by Pennzoil years ago, to increase oil sales.

motorhead81 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4

Thank you. This post really helped me out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.