Window Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Window Problem in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; My driver's side window no longer goes up. All other windows seem to be working fine. I checked the owner's ...
    gamoon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Window Problem

My driver's side window no longer goes up. All other windows seem to be working fine. I checked the owner's manual and did not see fuses for each front window like they are with the rear windows. BTW I have a 2008 Cadillac CTS

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gamoon is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Window Problem

Well I am glad no one else is having problems with their windows so its back to the shop for the 15th time this is getting old!!!!!!!

MidLifeCaddy2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by gamoon View Post
    My driver's side window no longer goes up. All other windows seem to be working fine. I checked the owner's manual and did not see fuses for each front window like they are with the rear windows. BTW I have a 2008 Cadillac CTS
    My 09 CTS is a week old I am having driver's window problems. It goes down at a normal speed but struggles to go up (takes 8-10 seconds). The other 3 windows work fine (they take 3-5 seconds in either direction). I am bringing it to the dealer next week.

bigTYME is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, 2008 STS

My two rear windows had the same issue from day 1. Took 3 trips to finally get it fixed correctly at a better dealership.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

All manufacts are having window problems: GM, Ford, Honda, etc.

You are lucky if still under warranty, unless you want to donate about $600 to dealer.

Replacing the window regulator (and/or window motor) is an easy job. You will need to purchase a special set of pliars that you slip between the door and the upholstered panel. (These pliars operate like a reverse set of pliars; when you squeeze them, they separate the pliar heads, thereby releasing the plastic tabs behind the upholstered panels.)

If you try a repair (if your car is out of warranty), be careful that you do not brake the panel in half when trying to release the center tab on panel.

Then you need a 10mm wrench to unbolt regulator.

Also need to be careful that you do not chop off some fingers, but then again, you started with 10.

craw169 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

My passenger side window has stopped working a couple of times. Mysteriously starts working again though. I was going to get the dealer to check it out the next time I brought the car in for an oil change. Any idea what to tell them to look for (any TSBs, etc)

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Have you by chance had your windows tinted. I had a similar problem on a Caprice. What had happened was that the tinter pushed the rubber weather strip along the bottom of the window in order to tint the entire window below the belt line. Since the weather strip is tucked in it won't let the window operate corretly. I just used a tool to untuck the strip and the window was fixed. This may not be your problem at all but may be worth a look.

GMFAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium w/20" chrome

Had the same thing happen on a Lincoln I had. Car was under warranty so I took it in to the dealer. They removed the door panel, adjusted the window track and it worked fine. Good Luck.

Caddy technicians know what to look for. They (and other manufact techs) see tons of bad windows daily.

1. window motor goes bad.
    2. regulator looses cable.

If window sticks down, have someone push button while you attempt to pick window up.

If window is completely stuck, do not hit button multiple times. That will destroy the window regulator. (I keep thinking after warr period.)

dannyjr88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2008 CTS Drivers driver door window on auto would go to the top and come back down intermittantly. Cause - "Electronics located within the power window regulator can become unstable under certain conditions". Replaced window regulator per bulletin 09-08-64-009A Part # 000 020849250.

louiefl99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

I had the same problem with my passenger rear window. It appears the windows are controlled by the body control module (BCM, I believe)- pressing the window down switch sends a signal to this computer and if everything is ok it will send power to the appropriate motor lead to lower the window. Pretty cool - the technician was raising and loweing the car windows remotely using a diagnostic tool. My BCM went bad and once replaced, my problems went away.

crystal_red is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT/LIGHT TITANIUM

Blows me away that power windows have been around for over 50 years and car mfgs still can't seem to get it right. You would think by now motor, regulator, etc. problems would have long since disappeared. It's the little crap like this that just pisses me off no end.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

It's a thing and things break.

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    It's a thing and things break.
    Wife says my thing does good.

Quote Originally Posted by crystal_red View Post
    Blows me away that power windows have been around for over 50 years and car mfgs still can't seem to get it right. You would think by now motor, regulator, etc. problems would have long since disappeared. It's the little crap like this that just pisses me off no end.
    My thoughts on this topic.

GM went for years (between mid 60s until late 70s) with great window regulators and motors. They were made out of real metal.

Ford has always had some part of the window system go bad. (Switches, regulator motors, regulators, drive gears on window motors)

Over the last 30 years, manufacts have purchased regulators and window motors made overseas. Tons of plastic on them, and the motors are just a fraction of the original weight.

The plastic parts of the GM regulators crack and fall apart.
    30 years ago, window regulators were made out of metal, and they looked like the metal glides on the side of a tool box. Today, the regulators have a long cable. There is a ball on the end of the cable, and it falls off. Failure. If the window seems to get stuck, and if someone hits the window button more than a few times, that cable gets wrapped around a small wheel on the regulator.

R & R on window regulators is about $600. If you had the time, patience, an inexpensive special tool ($15??), and some new parts, you could save about 1.5 hours of labor. Buick regulators retail for about $350. They are not hard to change, but have a mechanic available if you get stuck. Also, you need to be careful with regulators. If you don't know exactly how to replace one, you can get a few fingers chopped off. In the old days, you could lose an arm. See! We have made progress.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.