2008 CTS Navigation
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 CTS Navigation in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have a 2008 CTS without factory NAV. It came with the 40 gig HD, Bose system, but no NAV. ...
    Wirestu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

2008 CTS Navigation

I have a 2008 CTS without factory NAV. It came with the 40 gig HD, Bose system, but no NAV. I purchased a salvaged factory NAV unit and had it sent to the factory for unlocking and check out. The unit is fine. My question is, can this unit be installed in the car without any additional wiring? it appears the harness is missing some plugs. Is there a dealer or mechanic in Long Island that could do this as a side project?

Thanks in advance,

Stu

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bobelew is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: 2008 CTS Navigation

That might be a difficult installation as you would have to replace the entire dash. The Nav is a pop-up and cannot be added to the instrument panel ,so would involve a major retro. I am no expert, but I think this would be a very expensive proposition.

Zymurgy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX and 2006 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by bobelew View Post
    That might be a difficult installation as you would have to replace the entire dash. The Nav is a pop-up and cannot be added to the instrument panel ,so would involve a major retro. I am no expert, but I think this would be a very expensive proposition.
    I'm not so sure that it would be that bad. Looking at the GM parts catalog, it appears that there is only one instrument panel per interior color. There is not a separate part number for Nav/no Nav. There is a separate piece that covers the pop-up cutout for the non-Nav cars (part 6 in the diagram below):

Thanks for the reply. I dont believe the mechanical installation will be a problem. I think I have all the parts. The issues is the wiring. Does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram including all the connectors?

Thanks in advance.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Actually putting the nav hardware in wouldn't be hard at all. The screen comes complete and it just bolts in.
    As far as the connections go I'm not sure.
    If I get time (not likely really) I'll try to look at the details and see how feasible this is.
    Pretty busy lately.
    You'd need to replace the center stack too, the control panels are different for nav/non-nav.

smithb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I don't know, but I would guess there are a few missing wires not run, like the gps antennea. There is also the signal to lock out nav and DVD when the car is out of park or moving. It also seems like it has a seperate signal from the photo cell to determine day/night and screen brightness. In my car this seems to work independent of the headlights and the other lights on the center stack, but maybe I just can't see the lights all the time when they are on. The Nav system also displays other various system messages, but I don't know where those are displayed in a non-Nav car. If it is on the DIC, I wouldn't know how to get them over to the radio or if them not being there would cause a problem.

hugo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac STS

My suggestion would be don't mess with it. Use the OnStar Turn by Turn system. For about $100 per year, it is easier to use than the built in Nav system and is more up to date. Besides, if you mess something up you may have warrantee problems.

cts2008lover is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by hugo View Post
    My suggestion would be don't mess with it. Use the OnStar Turn by Turn system. For about $100 per year, it is easier to use than the built in Nav system and is more up to date. Besides, if you mess something up you may have warrantee problems.
    I also agree "My suggestion would be don't mess with it".
    There are so many 3rd pary navigation unit on market too.
    I think CTS is one of the most difficult car to mod and I thought most parts are desginged plug-in/out from base to luxury model but not CTS.

Bandit1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6DI

Agree with ewill3rd. You will need the radio/drive, center stack, screen (comes with motor and top), antenna, and subsequently the Nav disk. What's unknown is.....Is the 40 gig AM/FM/XM/CD/MP3 different than the unit that is installed in the Nav equipped cars AND is the in the dash wiring harness the same with connectors needed for the Nav just taped off. The wiring harness would be the only difficult part of the install if they are not common and additional connectors and wire runs were required.

09CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Where did you send the radio to have it unlocked?

Oh yeah, you won't have the jack for the ipod interface either.

Thanks for the reply. Not interested in the Ipod. Hate the turn by turn navigation.

Were you able to see if there were any wiring issues going from a 40 gig hd non nav unit to the navigation unit?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, been busy. Keep reminding me.
    Send me a PM or email me to my username at lindsaycadillac.com

jmackey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts

Has anyone successfully done this conversion on a 2008 or later cts?

Bandit1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6DI

Quote Originally Posted by jmackey View Post
    Has anyone successfully done this conversion on a 2008 or later cts?
    Doesn't look like it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.