Cadillac Owners Forum banner
3K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  CadiJ 
#1 ·
My fiance and I are looking at getting a 09 CTS. After checking these forums it seems there are a few problems people are having with there cars. The only other car she liked was the lexus is250. We kinda took it off the list after test driving the CTS becuase we loved it so much. My concern is with GM doing so bad and the problems everyone is having are we going to be stuck with a car with no warrenty and breaks all the time?

My question is how wide spread are these problems. I see a lot of post with complaints just on the first page.

#2 ·
test drive the car and if you like it, get it.

don't rely on a message board to make your mind up.

OR - you can check out the mercedes, bmw, or the likes message boards and compare suck stories...i love the CTS and have had small mini-gripes...nothing big enough that would make me regret my purchase.

#3 ·
It is a beautiful car but if you have have a low tolerance for issues you may want to consider getting something other than the CTS. There are a lot of little things that people are pointing out -- all in all the car seems to be ok.

Keep in mind two things to watch out for:
1.) Leaking Sunroofs - feel around the the whole interior in particular the floor boards after a heavy rain or wash to make sure there are no leaks
2.) Drone/vibration between 40-70MPH using light throttle to maintain speed if you hear a booming (with out the radio on) fromt he rear of the car and feel a chugging/vibration/shudder, tell the dealer to get you another CTS to drive...

Other than that I don't know of any "MAJOR" issues to watch out for, the contenting and style are top notch that is for sure.

#4 ·
Hi,

thats life, in most of the forums, people write about the "problems" and not about the good things. But there are a lot of very good things in every CTS!

I can only speak for myself, i love that car, i have a 2008 CTS DI AWD. And it's amazing. Some minor problems, but all of them were fixed under warranty.

The other important thing, buy american, and support the american car companies. (I live in Switzerland and drive American Cars since many years, and i would hate it to drive a german or japanese car, if the "big three" close the doors)

#5 ·
Take the car for an extended test drive. If there is any vibration, you should be able to feel it. Also, ask the dealer to wash the car with you watching, to see if there is any leaks. I think, too many of us fell in love with the looks, without really TEST driving it. I haven't had ANY problem with my 08. I have 13,200 trouble free miles on it.

#7 ·
Thanks for the words of advice on what to look out for.

i really think i just over reacted seeing all the complaint threads. my grandmother has drove cadillac's for 30 years, she did not have one bad thing to say so until i found these forums i had not heard anything negative about cadillac.

i don't think i could even bring myself to buy a lexus in the end, not that there bad or anything i just prefer the cts

#9 ·
The CTS is a high-end vehicle with significant performance capabilities. If you care for these, you will overlook any issues that you encounter. Ditto if you're considering a BMW, Audi, Benz, or Infiniti. If you care more about issues, I think there are - at this very minute - rebates on the Camry.

Seriously, if you're attracted to the CTS, go for it - it's a great car.

#10 ·
a forum is the place most folks go to voice their displeasure with problems or issues...seldom do you see a thread started over how great the car is or how good the dealer experience was.....and this theme goes for any make and model thread...

agree with the above...take it out....long test drive...look for the common issues.....and then make the decision......enjoy the ride

#11 ·
I think I'm a pretty picky person and I don't have a single complaint about my 2008 CTS. It's the most expensive car I've ever bought, and I still think that I got an awful lot for the money. Believe me, in addition to being picky, I'm frugal. At today's prices I don't see how you could go wrong.

#13 · (Edited)
This is a CTS board so, if you are asking our opinion, you obviously are expecting an answer that you want to hear. So here goes....I love my CTS and realize that it may or may not have a problem, either now or ever, just as is the case with a Lexus, Mercedes, Kia,Yugo, Honda etc. Bottom line, we can NOT tell you and the fiance what to do and you knew it before asked. You are obviously leaning toward the CTS so.......

#14 ·
I love my CTS. I had the opportunity to test drive the Lexus on a race track and wouldn't even be remotely tempted by it.

But I don't blame you for being nervous because it seems like only the complainers are hanging out on this forum the last few weeks. The CTS is hands down the best luxury sports sedan for the money. One other thing....you can't beat the warranty.

#24 ·
Don't know many people that drive a race track to work everyday.

Drone/vibration between 40-70MPH using light throttle to maintain speed if you hear a booming (with out the radio on) fromt he rear of the car and feel a chugging/vibration/shudder. That is a more likly everyday thing that should be an issue. $40 for that? That's a problem for any car imo of course.

#18 ·
Dicecal,

The steering wheel vibration IS able to be fixed. Please search the "have we solved the steering wheel vibration on the highway thread..."

There are 2 unique "vibration" problems with the CTS. Your problem is fixed by finding a VERY VERY good road force balance tech. who can properly balance and check the wheels and tires -- in case you have a bad wheel and tire (out of round). Trust me on this on I have been through the vibration hell. The steering wheel vibration CAN BE FIXED.

Other drive train vibrations (when the steering wheel is not involved) however, are far more complex... Feel free to PM me if you would like.

#23 ·
It's always annoying when an otherwise great car has issues - it's worse when they affect driveability fresh out of the box. The more I drive mine, the more I appreciate its engineering. It's definitely a competitor to a BMW 5-series in most respects and, like a 5-series, I expect my CTS to occasionally have issues that will need to be addressed. I experienced such a spate with our '04 SRX (a protracted one at that) but got over that to the point we bought another just last fall - Cadillacs are that good.

Look, buy the car you want but if fear of future issues (or related frustration) is more important to you than styling or handling, then the Lexus ES350 might be more your speed. Of course, Lexus fora are also filled with owners' complaints. We're all different, though, and some may never get over the expectation that an expensive car should never have issues - a reasonable expectation for a vehicle that is engineered to ferry you around comfortably in city and on highway. Like the ES350. Of course, if you know how to spell Nürburgring or Nordschleife, you probably wouldn't be happy with the ES350 - but then, your expectations - and tolerance for issues - might be a tad different.

No disrespect intended to Diecal - as much as I love driving my CTS, I would equally be frustrated with a driveability issue. And, as much as I agree that Cadillac should invest in the technology and training to be able to remedy such a problem, it hasn't yet. Fortunately, there are experts out there who can affordably deal with this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.