Sunroof Problems....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Sunroof Problems.... in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; This sunroof has been nothing but problems since I took delivery. I have a ton of wind noise with the ...
    mossmissle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS

Sunroof Problems....

This sunroof has been nothing but problems since I took delivery. I have a ton of wind noise with the sunroof closed. This is not acceptable in a Cadillac. With the sunroof open in tilt or open positions I think there is way to much noise also. I should not have to turn my radio up loud with the sunroof open. My jag was so quiet you did not even know you had it open.

Second problem - The close button is now starting to get worse when I close it. It will get to a certain position and opens back up. I have to keep pressing the button until it finally closes.

I think this whole sunroof is a bad design. I think that before this car is scraped that this thing is going to leak. If I can hear wind noise when it is closed that means it is not sealed. Plus the tilt feature is terrible on the same button as the open/close. I always have to hit it a couple of times open/close to finally get it closed.

Has anyone else experienced any of this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

docestes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Re: Sunroof Problems....

I think the sunroof is fantastic. I have no noise, it operates flawlessly, and I (unlike some others on here) really like the sunshade. I live in the South, and the car was not overly hot this past summer.

I have had lots of cars with sunroofs, which I actually rarely ever used. This one has already gotten more use in the 5 months of ownership than any car I've owned.

Sounds like you have a problem with one of the seals; I don't think it is a design problem.

louiefl99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

There is another thread (I searched but couldn't find it) that explains the how-to do-it-yourself adjustment. I had the sunroof adjusted at the dealer a couple times, but got tired of bringing it back in. The adjustment is very easy to do. Driving at speeds that cause the wind noise, first push up on the center bar - if it goes away, then the glass needs to come down. If pushing the glass up makes it goes away then the glass needs to be pushed up.

Back home, tilt the window forward and you will see a hex bolt with a torx center on the metal piece that attaches to the glass. Once you see where the bolts are, close the sunroof all the way. Look at the rear edge of the front glass compared to the rear panel. It may be up or down slightly - an 1/8" too high or low will cause wind noise. I used a 1/4" socket wrench, a 4" extension, and a T-20 torx bit (maybe it was a 25?). With your hand on the glass, loosen the screw and then gently pus it up or down slightly - depending on which way you needed to go from the highway test. Go out side and look to see if it changed.

I've done this a couple times and have gotten the noise to go away, it only takes a couple minutes, and this morning I hit it with the high pressure wash wand - no leaks.

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

I had the previous thread. My sun roof has always been quiet, but I have consistently had problems with failure to close, and sometimes open, as you described. They thought it was a motor problem and replaced the motor, to no avail. They dealer found a factory bulletin dated 9/11 regarding this. Apparently, the frame on some cars causes binding, and the roof thinks there is an obstruction and re-opens, or stops opening. The fix is a new frame, which the dealer claims is a two day affair. My car is receiving its' new frame right now. I will follow-up after I get the car back and test it. Unfortunately, the onset of cooler weather may limit my testing for now.

Loveldos is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillacs: '13 CTS Cpe, '01 SLS, '71 Eldo Conv

My car was built in November '07, and I got it in December '07, and the sunroof has had no problems in operation or in noises--it's very quiet at highway speeds and over bumps. I sure hope your dealer is able to find the solution for you.

Mark JD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crystal Red CTS Coupe; 2011 Black Ice SRX

Got my '08 in May and have used the sunroof and the shade a ton of times.... NO problems or wind noise. It's been working great and we love it, (knock on wood!).

PAO
    PAO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS 3.6 Metallic Red, 11 Subaru Outback, 04 Malibu Maxx

ok showing I havent completely read the book known as the owners manual....09 CTS her.e...so how do you make the sunroof tilt up......mine seems to just wants to fully retract......

CTSat22 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Ok. Wind noise I don't have any issues with. However, when I try to close the sunroof about 50% of the time it will re open about 20%. Its annoying.

KW5413 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI White Diamond

^^^^This just happened to my wire's '08 yesterday. ^^^^

Workaholic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

tip up. once its closed push the front of the button as though to close it more.
    tip down. press the back of the button

mtyaker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I had the wind noise as well. If I pushed up gently on the cross bar, in the middle, the noise stopped. I took it to the dealer and they made an adjustment and now it's quiet as a coffin!

fritze18 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac CTS 6MT, 2008 Cadillac CTS 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by marktanner View Post
    I had the previous thread. My sun roof has always been quiet, but I have consistently had problems with failure to close, and sometimes open, as you described. They thought it was a motor problem and replaced the motor, to no avail. They dealer found a factory bulletin dated 9/11 regarding this. Apparently, the frame on some cars causes binding, and the roof thinks there is an obstruction and re-opens, or stops opening. The fix is a new frame, which the dealer claims is a two day affair. My car is receiving its' new frame right now. I will follow-up after I get the car back and test it. Unfortunately, the onset of cooler weather may limit my testing for now.
    Mine has the exact same problem, however, I have narrowed mine down to "any power interruption" makes it act up. For instance, if I have the sunroof open all the way, I push the close button once to close it all the way, if I turn the vehicle off while the sunroof is half-way, it will stop closing and re-open. Also, if I have the windows open, and I hit the express-up on them while trying to close the sunroof, once the windows reach the top, boom, back goes the sunroof again. I have taken it to the dealer 3 times now, the first time, they couldn't duplicate the problem, so the second time, I went up with my vehicle and assured them I could duplicate the problem as it is very predictable. Sure enough, it did it. They took a look at it, and told me they were going to have to replace the frame, 5-6 hours, but the part was on back-order. 2 weeks later, they called me and told me the part was in, so I scheduled an appointment and it was in and out in 1 day. $1300 in just PARTS later, it is still NOT fixed. I don't have any wind noise, I never have, but I like to express-up the windows and close the sunroof at the same time (kill 2 birds at with 1 stone), my '06 is very much capable of this, why isn't my '08? Back to the dealer I go... I'll keep you all posted.

CTS Luvr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unhappy Re: Sunroof Problems....

Very same problem with the roof. I've been experiencing it since i picked the car up back in January of this year. Dropped it off AGAIN this past Tuesday. After daily calls from the dealership, it all gets summed up to this...they are attempting to locate parts and I (best case scenario) will not have the car back til next Thursday. If I do get it back at that time, this will be a total of 32 days in service since I have owned the vehicle. In my heart, I knew that replacing the frame on the roof as they've told would not fix the problem. This excerpt above pretty much resolves it in my mind.

What is the solution??? I luv this car. I really do. But I don't ever, ever recall a car I've owned being in service for 32 days for the lifetime I've owned the car, which is usually around 8 years! THIS IS INSANE!!!

What can be done????

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '14 SRX 3.6 AWD

My dealer told me that Cadillac knows it's a problem and they just don't know what the fix is yet. This was told to me 2 months ago.

fritze18 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac CTS 6MT, 2008 Cadillac CTS 6MT

So I posted Saturday about my dilema with the roof. Well, it just gets better. It poured rain here all day Saturday. I got in my car Saturday night, went to set something on the floor in the back behind the front passenger seat, and found a couple drops of water. I was confused, no one had been in the back seat of my car in a long time. My car had an odd smell inside. I keep it clean, it never smells foul. Immediately, I looked at my sunroof, felt all around it, no leaks. Still stumped, I looked at the rear pillar (passenger side) and noticed water running down it. I reached back and felt it, it was soaked. The headliner was a little damp, but not soaked. I felt the side of the back seat, soaked again. I followed it down to the floor, absolutely drenched. Rubbed my hand on the carpet, then smelled it, the smell was just AWFUL! My car has never leaked, my sunroof frame was replaced 2 weeks ago, and this was the first substantial rainfall since then. I am so pissed off! Water damage inside a brand new car? Give me a BREAK! I'm glad I waited to fill out the survey GM sent me, I filled it out last night after finding this. Tomorrow, I am going to call the customer service hotline in Oshawa. I do not want to speak with my dealership about this at all, I want to go right to the top about this, I am absolutely disappointed. Thanks for letting me vent a little bit though. I'll keep everyone posted on how I make out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.