2008 CTS Navigation Disc Update
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 CTS Navigation Disc Update in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; The update navigation disc for the 2008 CTS, will be for sale in two to three weeks. I just spoke ...
    ddawson is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD

2008 CTS Navigation Disc Update

The update navigation disc for the 2008 CTS, will be for sale in two to three weeks. I just spoke with the navigation disc center. It will be on a regular CD disc. You will load it, in the CD slot. After loading, you will remove it from the CD slot. End of story.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

WhtDmnd04CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS4, Performance Collection, NAV, AWD

Re: 2008 CTS Navigation Disc Update

$$$?

Quote Originally Posted by ddawson View Post
    The update navigation disc for the 2008 CTS, will be for sale in two to three weeks. I just spoke with the navigation disc center. It will be on a regular CD disc. You will load it, in the CD slot. After loading, you will remove it from the CD slot. End of story.
    The cost will be $199.00 plus tax. The anniversary disc program has been discontinued.

smithb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I heard it was updated by satellite. Just kidding. So are we all going to pitch in and buy one, then send it on a tour around forum members?

docestes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

So I have to pay $200

to update a system I have only had for less than 3 months?

Seems like that should be complimentary for new owners.

1stCad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: So I have to pay $200

Quote Originally Posted by docestes View Post
    to update a system I have only had for less than 3 months?

Seems like that should be complimentary for new owners.
    I agree! Just what the hell do you get for the $199.00. Seems very steep to me.

The web site is, www.gmnavdisc.com. The telephone number is 1-877-628-3472.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

$199? It is highway robbery! Though I would pay this if it was the latest from NavTech.....not 2 or 3 years old update...

hsmith is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Did rep at the navigation disc center say anything about what is included in the update CD, e.g., newer map or POI data, or a software update?

I have provided you the telephone number. You can ask that question and more.

smithb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I count 7 of us so far, that makes $28.43 a head, and getting cheaper by the day.

lewisforjesus is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Hi everybody. I'm curious. Before I ask this question, I want everyone to know I'm making no accusations. I beg no one becomes offended. As I said, I'm curious, is it legal to share the disc in this fashion ? (I'm not up on the copy write laws). If so, will I need the disc for an 09 CTS that I have on order ?

Lewis

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Lewis,
    no it is not legal.

lewisforjesus is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MoFex View Post
    Lewis,
    no it is not legal.
    Appreciate your response.

Lewis

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Lewis, I doubt that such sharing is permitted. One rarely "owns" software, you simply buy a license to use it in a specific manner, as stated in the End User License Agreement (the thing we all ignore when we install software and updates). In most cases, the EULA allows you to install the software or update on a specific number of computers, usually one to three, or on multiple computers if you use only one of them at a time. The terms vary, but by unsealing the package and installing the software, the user is considered to have agreed to and thus become contractually bound by those terms -- if you don't like the terms, then don't install the software. Violation of the terms is software piracy. Corporations that produce software have formed an alliance to go after major abusers, usually companies that buy one copy of a program and install it on many computers, and they offer large rewards for information about such abuses.

So, as tempting as it is to get something for nearly nothing, I wouldn't do it. Even though the likelihood of getting caught is small, I have a lot to lose.

Lastly, before doing anything, check with your dealer. This morning I called the NAV center (1-877-6283472) and spoke with one of the representatives. Here's what she told me:

1. The new disc won't be available until September; the one that's available today is for the Middle East (i.e., Iraq, etc.).

2. The disc will update the 2008 NAV database to the 2009 version; however, they can't tell you what version number that is, although the version number is on the disc itself -- they just go by part number (frustrating, because the software version number and the database number are accessible through the NAV system).

3. Updates by satellite do not include the software or the database, just things like traffic alerts.

4. Although owners of 2008 and later models are not entitled to a free update disc, they should check with their dealer as the dealer may install if for free since it takes only about 2 minutes. She said they have not been told whether dealers are or are not supposed to install it for free.

In any case, I suspect the updates are insignificant -- how many new roads have been built in the U.S. in the last few months? I used the same data for my GPS Navigation system in my 2006 CLS500 for 39 months, and I don't recall any problems except a bit of confusion where an interchange had been reconstructed -- but if you use a little common sense, things like that aren't really a problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.