2008 CTS Navigation Disc Update - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 CTS Navigation Disc Update in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by OneLapCoastie Has anyone confirmed whether the update disc includes the system bug fixes? Updates that I have ...
    The Drakester is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6DI

Re: 2008 CTS Navigation Disc Update

Quote Originally Posted by OneLapCoastie View Post
    Has anyone confirmed whether the update disc includes the system bug fixes?
    Updates that I have seen are data only. The only system that I have used that also did system upgrade was BMW. The system update software was from BMW where as the Data update was from NavTeq. It would be an interesting question to have GM answer - are there any system file updates that will be made available? After all, the system uses MS Windows Automotive v5.0 and we know about Windows

PJL
    PJL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by The Drakester View Post
    Updates that I have seen are data only. The only system that I have used that also did system upgrade was BMW. The system update software was from BMW where as the Data update was from NavTeq. It would be an interesting question to have GM answer - are there any system file updates that will be made available? After all, the system uses MS Windows Automotive v5.0 and we know about Windows
    An "application" update has been available via dealers -- see the thread http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...date-lots.html. According to the manual, a new Nav MAP disc update MAY include an "application" update. It think the question on the table is "does it?" Did they include the application updates that are available from the dealer in the disc available from www.gmnavdisc.com?

cts2008lover is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

With Lexus, the newest update navigation disk came with data only too. There was no way to update system software because of Navigation hardware. And, the data in the DVD is always not current map data.
    For example:Year 2008 Update contains map data till 2006 DEC or Early 2007 (Never up to date)

However, I thought the navigation system in CTS came with Microsoft software.....so we can update system too...
    If we can't update system,,,, bad bad bad...GM

Quote Originally Posted by PJL View Post
    An "application" update has been available via dealers -- see the thread http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...date-lots.html. According to the manual, a new Nav MAP disc update MAY include an "application" update. It think the question on the table is "does it?" Did they include the application updates that are available from the dealer in the disc available from www.gmnavdisc.com?
    One thing that might be helpful would be for someone with an early 2008 Nav could post the DB version and Windows version to see if there have been version changes. I can post from an early build 09.

Application Version: 2.00.0001
    Database Version: 14.73.7.030308.24
    OS Win Automotive v5.0

RQFinMD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS DI AWD White Diamond/Cashmere-Cocoa

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    I got a post card in the mail today from GM Nav Disk Center offering me an upgrade for my NAV DVD at 20% off the $199.00 upgrade price.
    It says you have to take advantage of this "Special Offer" by Sept. 30th.

My car was built the end of March 2008, so I don't think even with the 20% off it would be worth it to upgrade yet. I think GM is just trying to bring in revenue to offset the sagging auto sales in the country.
    Yup, the '08s and '09s are NOT included in the two-free-upgrades deal. That 20% off thing is not something I was aware of, but it's probably the best thing one can hope for:

I called the GM Nav Disc Center and they said a new upgrade is coming up in a couple of weeks (Sept. 15th or so) that will cost $199 bucks but when I asked whether it can be gotten as a free upgrade for an '09 that I'm just now picking up this week, the answer was a polite but firm, "I'm sorry, but NO."

He explained only owners of '06 and '07 MY cars have the anniversary program where free discs are available on their 1st and 2nd year anniversaries--and GM has discontinued this anniversary program.

Quote Originally Posted by RQFinMD View Post
    Yup, the '08s and '09s are NOT included in the two-free-upgrades deal. That 20% off thing is not something I was aware of, but it's probably the best thing one can hope for:

I called the GM Nav Disc Center and they said a new upgrade is coming up in a couple of weeks (Sept. 15th or so) that will cost $199 bucks but when I asked whether it can be gotten as a free upgrade for an '09 that I'm just now picking up this week, the answer was a polite but firm, "I'm sorry, but NO."

He explained only owners of '06 and '07 MY cars have the anniversary program where free discs are available on their 1st and 2nd year anniversaries--and GM has discontinued this anniversary program.
    I am going to see if my dealer has the update - since I was told that the system updated itself - automatically.

Ronster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 Black/Ebony CTS-4, Other(s): 2009 Wicked Solstice

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    Agreed! How many miles of new roads do you think have been built in the last year in THIS economy?
    in this economy, governments especially the federal one in D.C. get more money and spend even more more money than ever. it's the governments that build roads. a lot of road building uses federal assistance. so yes there are new roads even in *this* economy. I've even driven on a few.
    rg

The biggest changes are new sub-divisions that come on line. You will also see changes to the mega intersections like the 395/495/95 interchange in Springfield, VA.

omegafiler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI RWD FE2

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    in this economy, governments especially the federal one in D.C. get more money and spend even more more money than ever. it's the governments that build roads. a lot of road building uses federal assistance. so yes there are new roads even in *this* economy. I've even driven on a few.
    rg
    Not to mention the "economy" is looked at a whole. But trust me, there are plenty of areas that are thriving, spending, and building just as much as ever. I know there are still lots of roads around here that aren't in the sat nav.

Workaholic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

I think someone said that the update is 2-3 yrs old, so the maps being used right now are older than that! its not whats been built (roads, etc) since you bought the cars but rather whats been built between the two versions and that could be more significant. If you need up to date nav info it sounds like you can't get it through the car. I don't have nav, so am only just speculating.

omegafiler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI RWD FE2

Quote Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
    I think someone said that the update is 2-3 yrs old, so the maps being used right now are older than that! its not whats been built (roads, etc) since you bought the cars but rather whats been built between the two versions and that could be more significant. If you need up to date nav info it sounds like you can't get it through the car. I don't have nav, so am only just speculating.
    Yeah, every NAV system I've ever had has always been somewhat out of date, even with the latest updates. But still more up to date than the last one.

RQFinMD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS DI AWD White Diamond/Cashmere-Cocoa

The GM Nav Center guy told me there's a yearly update. I would think so, since this is a fluid world and things change all the time.

But $200.00 a pop...ouch!

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '14 SRX 3.6 AWD

BTW,
    I had the system update installed. So far the only difference that I've noticed is the day/nite brightness is working.

OneLapCoastie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI FE3

Quote Originally Posted by greyghost04 View Post
    BTW,
    I had the system update installed. So far the only difference that I've noticed is the day/nite brightness is working.
    I was supposed to have it done today, but the dealership told me the bulletin doesn't apply to my part #. I was under the impression all '08's w/ nav had the same nav unit part #. My car is a Feb '08 build.

ibiza1010 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon (Crystal Red w/Recaros)

Quote Originally Posted by The Drakester View Post
    One thing that might be helpful would be for someone with an early 2008 Nav could post the DB version and Windows version to see if there have been version changes. I can post from an early build 09.

Application Version: 2.00.0001
    Database Version: 14.73.7.030308.24
    OS Win Automotive v5.0
    My '08 CTS was built early Dec 2007 and has had no updates performed at all:

Application Version: 1.02.0000
    Database Version 8.63.12.022807.19
    OS Win Autmotive v5.0

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.