2008 CTS Navigation Disc Update - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 CTS Navigation Disc Update in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by lewisforjesus Hi everybody. I'm curious. Before I ask this question, I want everyone to know I'm making ...
    hsmith is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 2008 CTS Navigation Disc Update

Quote Originally Posted by lewisforjesus View Post
    Hi everybody. I'm curious. Before I ask this question, I want everyone to know I'm making no accusations. I beg no one becomes offended. As I said, I'm curious, is it legal to share the disc in this fashion ? (I'm not up on the copy write laws). If so, will I need the disc for an 09 CTS that I have on order ?

Lewis

Lewis -- you should ask your dealer to make sure that your CTS has the latest update when it is delivered to you. In my opinion, if you're buying a new car, it should have the latest update.

hsmith is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by ddawson View Post
    I have provided you the telephone number. You can ask that question and more.
    Thanks, ddawson. Unfortunately, when I called the gmnavdisc toll-free number, the person who I spoke with had no clue as to what was in the update (e.g., newer map data, more POI's and/or software updates). She said that, since the disc hadn't been released yet, they hadn't given her any info on it.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

The Judge,

you are correct in terms of the legal issues.

Database version (map updates) - GM gets them from NavTech. I have had Garmin Nav systems for a while now and I do know that Garmin is always at leas one version behind. I have compared my Garmin 2009 maps and they are definitely more "up-to-date" than our CTS. I have some intersections that do not exist on the CTS and yet Garmin shows them perfectly well. For me it is extremely important as I travel a lot.

Let’s wait till the update is released and then discuss the issue. Right now it is all but speculations….

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Quote Originally Posted by MoFex View Post
    ...I have some intersections that do not exist on the CTS and yet Garmin shows them perfectly well. For me it is extremely important as I travel a lot....
    That's the main consideration when deciding whether to spend any money on the updates. Most changes in roads are going to be in new developments -- if there are any in this economy! The main streets in most American and Canadian cities haven't changed significantly in the last year, nor are they likely to change much in the near future. Same with Interstate highways and most state roads that we travel between cities.

As for the POIs, I could care less where the nearest McDonald's is, and virtually all gas stations are already in the database.

If you're in the real estate business, the update may be worth the cost of admission, but IMHO it's a waste of money for most users -- 99.9999% of the time the update won't make a wit of difference in the routing between Point A and Point B. In any case, if there is a problem, you always have OnStar.

red_2008_cts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS (2008)

so am i correct in understanding that the 2 years of nav upgrades that i would get when i bought this car is not true? if so, that sucks, but then again, like others have said, how much do the main roads traveled really change?

lewisforjesus is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by hsmith View Post

Lewis -- you should ask your dealer to make sure that your CTS has the latest update when it is delivered to you. In my opinion, if you're buying a new car, it should have the latest update.

That sounds like good advice and the best idea in my circumstance. Thanks much.

Lewis

lewisforjesus is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    Lewis, I doubt that such sharing is permitted. One rarely "owns" software, you simply buy a license to use it in a specific manner, as stated in the End User License Agreement (the thing we all ignore when we install software and updates). In most cases, the EULA allows you to install the software or update on a specific number of computers, usually one to three, or on multiple computers if you use only one of them at a time. The terms vary, but by unsealing the package and installing the software, the user is considered to have agreed to and thus become contractually bound by those terms -- if you don't like the terms, then don't install the software. Violation of the terms is software piracy. Corporations that produce software have formed an alliance to go after major abusers, usually companies that buy one copy of a program and install it on many computers, and they offer large rewards for information about such abuses.

So, as tempting as it is to get something for nearly nothing, I wouldn't do it. Even though the likelihood of getting caught is small, I have a lot to lose.

Lastly, before doing anything, check with your dealer. This morning I called the NAV center (1-877-6283472) and spoke with one of the representatives. Here's what she told me:

1. The new disc won't be available until September; the one that's available today is for the Middle East (i.e., Iraq, etc.).

2. The disc will update the 2008 NAV database to the 2009 version; however, they can't tell you what version number that is, although the version number is on the disc itself -- they just go by part number (frustrating, because the software version number and the database number are accessible through the NAV system).

3. Updates by satellite do not include the software or the database, just things like traffic alerts.

4. Although owners of 2008 and later models are not entitled to a free update disc, they should check with their dealer as the dealer may install if for free since it takes only about 2 minutes. She said they have not been told whether dealers are or are not supposed to install it for free.

In any case, I suspect the updates are insignificant -- how many new roads have been built in the U.S. in the last few months? I used the same data for my GPS Navigation system in my 2006 CLS500 for 39 months, and I don't recall any problems except a bit of confusion where an interchange had been reconstructed -- but if you use a little common sense, things like that aren't really a problem.
    Judge, thanks for the good write up, the information, and for taking the time.

Lewis

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

Just checked today - disc update for 2008 CTS is out there on NAVDISC website. Of course its not in stock but you can order it.

omegafiler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI RWD FE2

Yep, I'm on the list. They said about 4-5 weeks but folks that pre-ordered awhile ago should be getting their copy fairly soon. I know it's expensive, but they're always building new roads around here, so I'd prefer to have the latest info.

The Drakester is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6DI

And the saga goes on--- I just called the Nav center regarding my Corvette and they don't have the disk for the 09 version quite yet - gent said it would be a couple of weeks. Then I asked about the update for the 09 CTS and asked it it was automatic via satellite. He said NO! (As most of use believe, not withstanding what several sales people have claimed) He also made this revelation: He said the update would be via a memory stick!

danjessee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS

I read in an earlier post you get 1-2 free ones( ( 1 annually ) based on VIN number. Then after that you have to pay...several months ago on this site.

from the site.....

GM is pleased to offer a subscription program including all new North American 2006 and 2007 model year GM vehicles (excluding Saab) with factory installed navigation systems. Owners of qualified GM vehicles will receive two (2) free update discs for the navigation system on your first and second anniversary. If your vehicle was purchased in 2006 you have until December 31, 2008 to take advantage of this offer. If your vehicle was purchased in 2007 the offer will expire on December 31, 2009.

To get your subscription disc update, you will receive a postcard mailing shortly before the one-year and two-year anniversaries of the purchase date of your qualifying vehicle purchase or lease. Both disc updates come to you completely free of charge as part of the value of owning a GM vehicle.

omegafiler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI RWD FE2

Yeah, I did get a free update disc with my 2006 Yukon. But the '08 CTS is definately not included in that offer. The nav disc folks confirmed that as well.

TonyT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS

I got a post card in the mail today from GM Nav Disk Center offering me an upgrade for my NAV DVD at 20% off the $199.00 upgrade price.
    It says you have to take advantage of this "Special Offer" by Sept. 30th.

My car was built the end of March 2008, so I don't think even with the 20% off it would be worth it to upgrade yet. I think GM is just trying to bring in revenue to offset the sagging auto sales in the country.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Agreed! How many miles of new roads do you think have been built in the last year in THIS economy?

OneLapCoastie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI FE3

Has anyone confirmed whether the update disc includes the system bug fixes?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.